Dwc1961's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 12th, 2022 6:26 PM

Closed

Router XB8 issues

I have the XB8 router and it is dropping devices and the xFi app doesn't work as well as it used to. I have rebooted many times. Also the xFi app say I am not meeting my plan speeds. This was never a problem with the XB7 router

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

3 years ago

Same thing here. Got it Friday 3/11, and it's slower than my 7 was and the app is buggy. With the 7 I was getting 1.2 G consistently but now get 900-1 (which is still fast, but...) The app shows devices dropping off when they really aren't. Maybe some updates are in order Xfinity?

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

3 years ago

@Dwc1961

Good afternoon! That’s great you have the new XB8 but we definitely don’t want you to have any issues connecting your devices, or X-Fi app to this device. How long have you had this device now? Has the issue been intermittent or steadily dropping devices for your network?

Can you also tell me what you have tried in terms of troubleshooting so we can try to avoid making you repeat steps you have taken, please?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityDevinC​  Hi. I hooked up the new XB8 this past Wed 3/9 during the evening.  Everything seemed fine. The next day things were still good and I returned my old XB7. Later in the afternoon that Thursday the device just rebooted itself. Since then I have seen issues where the xFi app was showing devices were not connected but they were. It also showed instances for a few devices where they showed up in the app twice. Sometimes the device would be listed as both disconnected and connected at the same time. I have rebooted multiple times including unplugging and the issue is still there. It appears that all the devices are actually connected but the xFi app is wonky. The biggest worry is that I may not be getting the correct speed to the router itself. With the XB7 I always got 1200 MBPS or better. Now I am lucky if I get 1200MBPS. I have gotten speeds as low as 300MBPS where it tells me we need to reboot the device which I do to no avail.
Starting today I now get the message "Its Time to update your xFi gateway. Your Current xFi gateway can't keep up with Internet Speed.  Don't worry - we will set you up with a new one for no additional cost." I click on the Update Gateway button and it brings to a page that say I have the latest equipment. In summary all my devices are connected but the app gives me conflicting information and I can't tell if I am getting the speed I am paying for.

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

@Dwc1961

Thank you for letting me know what you have tired and what all you have been seeing.

This helps a lot to not repeat these steps you have taken as I mentioned but also it helps to narrow this down. We would like to take a look at your account so we can check for any signals that are out of sync or possible issues with the speed codes we have on your modem. We are here to offer our full support but to protect your personal account information, we ask that you send us a direct message. I have posted the steps below, could you send us a direct message at your convenience, please?

Here's the detailed steps to Direct Message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

@G_V

We are here to help you as well. Please post any additional questions you have and we are happy to discuss this with you further :). 

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

3 years ago

3/11. As I said, the devices aren't dropping off, but the app shows them as doing so; the device connection list isn't updating as rapidly as it should, either when devices connect or disconnect. The download speed has been fluctuating wildly since Friday; sometimes I get over rated speed of 1.2, sometimes I get way under that. Called customer service yesterday and a really nice guy said everything is fine on my end, all parameters excellent. I have restarted  and rebooted many times without any change in speed. I'm thinking it's the newness of the gateway, maybe some updates might fix it?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I had to have Xfinity support reset my account to XB8 after install.  App worked ok after that.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

the tech was here for 2 hours, brand new coax from node to me, replaced xb7 with xb8, lousy, the xb8 keeps dropping the 5GHz signal, very unstable, this was the senior tech and the zone manager, the phone help the tech calls into stated that the xb8 units were not ready and have a known firmware issue with the wifi.

why waste my time by giving me an xb8 that comcast knows wont work!

when will the firmware fix be ready so the xb8 that comcast made such a big deal about can be installed and work?

thank you

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@chungchu​ I, too, received the new XB8 as a reward and it has been odd, at best. Terrible WiFi range and over the course of the first few weeks, it’s dropped all my wireless devices and needs to be unplugged to reconnect to them. Frustrating start … the XB7, while also imperfect, never dropped the signal nor lost connection with devices. 

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Don't know if this is the correct thread:  The internet has become unavailable one or more times every day for more than a week.  Resetting the router by unplugging and re-plugging has restored the connection.

There is no way for me to tell whether this is a problem with the router or Comcast's signal. 

I see no information identifying what model router there is and there is no online help that I can find, not even chat. 

Is there a fix available?

Thank you,

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

@xfn​ 

it sounds like the issue, if your devises are on the 5GHz frequency, that is the problem with the xb8, and comcast states they dont have a fix, that is why they only are giving it to a "few" diamond folks as gifts(diamond= we pay the huge comcast prices for years) press comcast to fix it and get a solution for all of us that have the router

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thanks for the response.  I have had this router for probably 10 years, so it's probably not the newer model.  But I have no clue what model it is. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@chungchu Hello and thank you for reaching out with your concerns with the XB8. I can understand how this would be a frustrating experience. Did you end up keeping the XB8, or did they swap the XB7 back for you? I have been trialing the XB8 for the last couple months and haven't had any issues, but I have heard of the issues you mentioned and I know we are actively taking feedback and working out any bugs during the trial process. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Hello, having similar issues.  I received the new XB8 as one of my rewards.  I am finding issues with my Samsung Tablets, that worked great with the XB7.  The issues seem to be with You Tube videos, Stream and Peacock.  The TV stations, Movies and Videos either hang or I never get beyond the Apps initial page (Stream & Peacock).  A Tech did come out (March 21st) and say all was OK with the new Router; which has been rebooted at least four times now.  The Ticket was, 100085680182080.

The Tech was going to open a subsequent Ticket, to have the cable from the Pole to the House replaced, as it needed it.  No word yet on the replacement.  I am holding on to the XB7 until this is resolved.  If I need to go back to the XB7, let me know.

I hate paying for a Service, that only partially works.  Thanks, Sean

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

2 years ago

Update: So the XB8 has taken over my settings completely. I like to keep each band separate since some of my devices seem to get 'confused' by the 2.4 and 5 bands having the same SSID and password and won't hook up to wifi. If I separate them, everything is fine, but within a few hours to a few days I start having wifi issues, check the gateway settings on the xfi app, and all bands have reverted back to the same SSID and password! Xfinity, this is unacceptable. I can't even change settings on the gateway website anymore because everything is greyed out. Why? I guess the only options are to either go back to the XB7 or get my own gateway. Please give us back control of the gateway! It doesn't know what's best for me, in spite of what Xfinity says.

Edit: I've found out Xfinity has taken control of ALL gateways and does not allow changes to the settings. I guess they think we're a bunch of 4 year olds. I'm insulted. I'll be returning mine and buying my own.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Xfinity can you confirm that you have taken control of all settings to the XB8 and do not allow changes.  If so I will not install the unit that I have ion order.

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

Hi, thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Forums. At this time all rented modems do not have the ability to change the modems configurations. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I recently got the new XB8-T.  It will not recognize any of my HP wireless printers.  Have tried everything, including manually adjusting the Router MAC settings to include the HP printers, still not working.  Printers work with wired connection between Router and Printer.  Need help?????????

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hey there, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums! We would be happy to help you with your XB8 connection. Are the printers the only devices you are having issues connecting? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am having the exact same issue with not being able to connect my HP wireless printer through my new XB8 router. I have had plenty of other issues since getting the XB8 and now have to bypass wifi for some items cause it's so bad. However,  I am unable to use ethernet for my wireless printer and I MUST BE ABLE TO PRINT ASAP!  What can I do to fix this? I have tried everything. 

Valued Contributor

• 

406 Messages

Thank you for contacting us on the forums, @user_4445e0! I'm so sorry to hear about these issues you're having with the XB8. Are you still having the same issues?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Also having this issue.  Seperst said on all 3 bands. Printer sees 2 4 Ghz ssid but won't connect after password entered.  xB7 roughter worked fine befor upgrade. Tried a factory reset of print. Tried unsussfully WPS push button in admin console. Printer detests was and button pressed but never resolved. If you have to print, hard line to rj45 or to printers internal wifi till problem is figured out.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

SOLVED!...

XB8 default the 2.4Ghz Band to WPA3-Persional-Transistion.  HP printers only talk in WPA/WPA2 and WPS.   I wen on to my xFi app. Clicked on Connection tab on the bottom. Changed Security Mode to WPA2 and applied.   Now that didn't work the first time.  But after I turn off broadcasting of my ssid. Manually entered in the same in my printer and password... boom i was in.  I then turned back on broadcasting of ssid and everything stayed connected.   The turning of of the broad casting may not have been necessarily need... but I included it just caus that what got me working.   Enjoy!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here