D

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 31st, 2023 7:41 PM

Closed

Device randomly gets paused, but Xfinity app says it isn't paused.

A few days ago I manually paused one of the devices on my home network. I set it to pause until I unpaused it.

The next morning I unpaused it, and everything seemed to work just fine for 4-5 hours. Then, suddenly, the device lost all internet access and I started getting web pages telling me that my device was paused by Xfinity. I checked the app, and it did not say this device was paused at all. I had to pause and unpause it to restore internet connectivity. Then, a few hours later, it paused itself again automatically. I'm the only one with access to the Xfinity app, I have no schedules or anything set, and I am definitely not pausing the machine I'm working from home on randomly during the day. 

Anyone know what's going on? Pretty frustrating to have my work meetings interrupted by Xfinity deciding to randomly pause my computer...

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

1 year ago

@dariakus

Hi there! Thanks for taking a moment to reach out to us here about your PC randomly being paused. I can see why this would be frustrating! You're in the right place for help. Have you tried clearing the Xfinity app's cache since this issue started? If that does not resolve the issue, please try restarting your gateway by pulling the power cord from the wall (not the back of the gateway), waiting 60 seconds, then plugging it back in.

Please let us know if this helps!

6 Messages

how does one clear the app cache. i am having same issue.  restarted modem multiple times, removed device from network, switched assigned IP.  i can pause  and unpause but only lasts short amount time.  

24 Messages

Have a comcast tech install a MoCA filter on your cable line at the building's junction box. That fixed the same issue on my devices. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Alright I'm done, I can't get customer support, this keeps happening, and I'm about to just cancel my account. I cannot have my work day interrupted randomly because your router decides to pause my main PC's internet.

4 Messages

Did this ever get resolved or did you cancel your account? 

24 Messages

Have a comcast tech install a MoCA filter on your cable line at the building's junction box. That fixed the same issue on my devices. 

2 Messages

@dariakus​ I am cancelling mine too!

1 Message

@user_sj8o5p​ will i be able to have this installed if i live in an apartment complex??

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hey there, @Maddzcat thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding the issue with your new modem. We would be happy to help you with troubleshooting your devices and we definitely do not want to lose you as a customer. Were you having this same issue before installing the new modem?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the same problem - Google shows many many threads of people having the same problem (and no real answers other than do a factory reset on the router (will have to try that as the random pausing 2-4 times a day is driving us nuts) ... 

Official Employee

• 

735 Messages

Hello, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

24 Messages

2 Messages

1 year ago

Same problem going on 6 days. Except we never paused the device and it just keeps saying the device is paused! Even got a new modem and same problem! Ready to break contract!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast @user_182256. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with our Xfinity App after unpausing a device. You are in the right place and I am happy to assist you with today. I have not experienced this issue with the Xfinity App at home. May I have you uninstall the Xfinity App and then download it again and log in using your primary Xfinity Username. 

24 Messages

2 Messages

@user_182256​ I’m having the same issue

2 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the same issue on my phone, personal laptop, and work laptop. I also see an unfamiliar computer connected to my network so I paused it, but there is no way to remove it from my network. I am incredibly frustrated with intermittent internet and what looks like a security issue. I have also diagnosed and reset my router several times today and internet is at a much lower speed than it should be. I'm ready to cancel.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hello, @user_7beef1. Thanks for commenting on our community forums. We are truly sorry to hear about your situation and would like to help make this right. It sounds like you've done most of the troubleshooting needed. That's always a good start. Just to make sure. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well? 

2 Messages

Update: I talked to everyone I possibly could at Xfinity, I called every day until I got some kind of help. That took a week, their customer service is SO frustrating - I was getting stuck at the first tier of service which kept telling me to restart and when I asked to escalate one person asked, oh you want to upgrade your service?

They also kept trying to sell me new services on every. single. call. They are NOT solution focused they are $$$$$$ focused.

After two weeks with no internet someone on a call mentioned possibility of a “degraded line” in my building - a technician came and here’s what worked:

• Fixing the cable connections on my wall
  • A new modem (do NOT let them charge you for this)
  • Installing a filter on the modem

So far it’s okay but I had to pester them every single day to get any kind of resolution. 

Also: make sure you talk to someone in billing to get credit for the time you don’t have internet!!!

6 Messages

this solution makes no sense.  i’ve got 20+ devices logged all on wi-fi and only 1 keeps pausing.  would love to get a valid solution from xfinity 

24 Messages

4 Messages

1 year ago

I’ve been having having this problem and now I have my computer paused and it says my PlayStation is connected however it does not have any internet. I’ve done all that I can. Resetting everything at one point I was thinking it was my own devices having a problem instead of router but then my router would automatically become offline. There are other devices that I don’t recognize using my WiFi. Only option is to pause or change WiFi password. I’m ready to break contract. I should’ve done century link or try Comcast 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@user_33e914 I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your WiFi and your devices pausing. Have you tried a factory reset of your modem? 

I also wanted to make sure you are aware that any time you need to troubleshoot our Xfinity app can assist you step by step. It is not just to pay your bill or to get notifications about interruptions. To learn how to troubleshoot in the future you can follow the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/my-account-app-mobile-troubleshooting. Honestly, it is the best app to date that we offer and super easy to use for all of your account needs.

24 Messages

@user_33e914​ Have a comcast tech install a MoCA filter on your cable line at the building's junction box. That fixed the same issue on my devices. 

1 Message

1 year ago

Same exact problem. Nothing works. No fix actions listed that actually work.

24 Messages

1 Message

1 year ago

I have cameras that goes on and off every 3 minutes. It is not the camera because it doesn't happen in the middle of the night.

24 Messages

1 Message

1 year ago

I have the same issue and Xfinity support has not been able to help. It is extremely frustrating as I have to work from home. The only resolution I see now is to switch the internet service provider. The xfinity internet has been the worst service I have ever recieved in any area as the customer support just have not idea what is happening and they keep recommending to restart everything again and again.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_80a11e I am so sorry for the frustration that you have experienced with your intenret service. That is not the experience we want for our customers. I would be happy to look into this issue with you and help find a resolution. To get started, please send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account to get started. 

To send a "Direct Message" message:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Messaging" icon at the top of the page (looks like a text bubble)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

24 Messages

@user_80a11e​ Have a comcast tech install a MoCA filter on your cable line at the building's junction box. That fixed the same issue on my devices. 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Same issues. Xfinity support is the absolute worst and extremely unhelpful. They will just tell you to restart everything which does not help at all. I’ve already been considering switching to another internet provider but this situation has sealed the deal. Goodbye Xfinity!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

We'd appreciate the opportunity to turn this feeling around, @user_uqsdu4. A benefit of choosing Xfinity is that you are able to personalize and control your home network with Xfinity xFi, including pausing and unpausing devices connected to your home network. We appreciate you trying the steps shared already, let's take a closer look and troubleshoot together. Could you please send a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”? To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forum's page.

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message
Thank you!

24 Messages

@user_uqsdu4​ Have a comcast tech install a MoCA filter on your cable line at the building's junction box. That fixed the same issue on my devices. 

1 Message

1 year ago

Been having the exact same problem as everyone in this thread, frequent and random total loss of connection, most devices claiming they're "paused" and to use the app but I've used the app, reinstalled it, cleared its cache, zero improvement, nothing shows as paused in the app but the devices still claim they are. Tried every solution offered, nothing has improved the issues. And yes, I've chatted with customer support to explore all the steps, AND had a tech come to my house to fix it, they diagnosed it as a faulty modem and gave us a brand new one that's a better model, and sure enough later the exact problems started again bad as ever. Stop recommending the same dead end troubleshooting, this absolutely has to be a problem on xfinity's end at this point, just fix it already.

4 Messages

It is absolutely a problem on xfinity’s end! Have talked to several representatives and they offered to have a tech come and replace our modem and then cancelled the morning of the scheduled appointment claiming that the problem had been fixed. Guess what? It has NOT been fixed! 

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Hello @user_3b9609 I know it must be frustrating to run into the same issue and we definitley want to ensure this is resolved for you. I am not showing any known issues are active for this, but the best way for this to be investigated to try to submit a ticket with our Advanced Repair team to ensure nothing on the backend is causing the devices to be paused. If you send our team a direct message with your full name and address in question, we'll work to get this taken care of! To send us a message, just use the link provided or the direct message icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then, click "new message", type "Xfinity Support" and select that profile to send us a message directly. We look forward to hearing from you!

24 Messages

@user_3b9609​ Have a comcast tech install a MoCA filter on your cable line at the building's junction box. That fixed the same issue on my devices. 

1 Message

1 year ago

This keeps happening to my son when he is trying to do homework. He really doesn't need our wifi fighting against him. I feel like the message here is that you should never try to use the parental controls from xfinity unless you want your kids to fail their classes at the hands of some random glitch in the Xfinity app. This is maddening. 

24 Messages

2 Messages

1 year ago

Had this same issue. I work from home almost everyday, and cannot afford to lose internet or trouble shoot for hours. The only solution I found was to purchase my own modem/Wi-Fi hardware. This eliminates any use of the pause/unpause feature within the Xfinity app. Xfinity needs to look into this issue. I’ve seen multiple threads regarding this issue with zero explanation or solution.

24 Messages

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue.  I wasted time with Comcast support who had me do all the obvious things which I had already done, including a factory reset.  I think it's pretty obvious the problem is with a bug in the software that drives the pause/unpause 'feature', the question is how many people does Comcast have to hear it from before someone actually gets assigned to get into the code, find the bug and fix it.  I cannot imagine how many customers are frustrated, how many modems get returned, how many hours get wasted of tech support and people's time because Comcast doesn't have the mechanism in place to get this escalated, forwarded as needed, assigned (I assume this would be with whoever makes the software and modem for Comcast) to a senior developer who can troubleshoot, find and fix the bug.  

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

All this DM us, submit a ticket, restart the modem, it's all a waste of everyone's time at this point.  Obviously many people have the problem and there are nearly 1,000 people following this thread.  It's a matter of does Comcast have anyone with enough capability to actually go get someone at whatever division in the company or with the right partner to find and fix the bug .... in the meantime, if you are having this problem and don't want to live with it, until they actually fix it and post a software/firmware update, I am pretty sure the only option is to go by a 3rd party modem as one of the other people posting did (and I plan to do).  

24 Messages

2 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue here. The inconsistency in Xfinity's service makes it impossible for me to do the readings and assignments I'm required to do at my university and is hurting my grades. I have spent hours on the phone with customer service doing the same troubleshooting tasks over and over. Nothing works. Why am I paying for wifi that I can't even use? I'm considering canceling my service or buying a third-party modem. Fix it, Xfinity. 

24 Messages

@user_sj8o5p​ Thank you for spamming this message. I bought a filter off Amazon and it worked for me with my XB8 gateway.

(edited)

2 Messages

Can you please share what did you do exactly? Same problem 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here