U

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, September 22nd, 2022 8:19 PM

Closed

XR15 Remote does not turn off XG2 X1 Cable Box

I am not able to turn off the X1 Cable box using the remote.  We have two X1 Cable boxes, one is turned off by the remote, the other stays on all the time.  We have repaired it numerous times.  It was factory reset and the Xfinity Store replaced the remote with a new one and the X1 Box still will not turn off on one of our sets.  Is this by design or is there an issue with the x1 Box?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

@user_f1e893 

Thank you for posting your question here in our Xfinity Forum. In regards to why your remote is not powering off your X1 box, this feature was disabled to address issues that our customers had with keeping their TV and TV Box power synchronized. Because the remote communicates with the TV and TV Box using different signaling technologies, one device would sometimes get turned off while the other was turned on. We do realize that disabling the Off button on the remote control isn't ideal, and we are looking into options to address this issue. In the meantime, you can turn the TV Box off by saying "power down" into your Voice Remote.

Additional Information: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

Thank you again for your question. Please let us know if you have any other questions or if the voice command does not work for you. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityJessie​   Thank you for taking the time to address my question and providing the link to further explain this issue.  In addition to the synchronization issue mentioned, other comments refer to the need for updates to run so the X1 Box stays on.

What puzzles me is that we upgraded to the X1 System and installed two X1 Boxes.  The first X1 Box installed and paired does power off the X1 Box and the TV when the power button is depressed on the remote.  The second X1 Box installed does not shut off the X1 Box but shuts off the TV when the power button is depressed on the remote.  This inconsistency in application between the two X1 Boxes (or remotes) is what lead me to believe that there may be a setting that needs to be addressed.

Problem Solver

• 

528 Messages

Please send me a private message with your full name and full address. I can most definitely take a further look at this issue. To send a private message, please click the chat icon next to the bell in the upper right corner. Click the “notepad and pen” button. Send the full message to our shared support handle “Xfinity Support”. We look forward to hearing from you!

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thank you for replying.  I tried to use the private message function but it could not get it to work.  It's either not intuitive enough or I am technological challenged, but I could not find any way to send a completed message that appeared to go through.  Thanks again for trying to help.

Problem Solver

• 

528 Messages

No worries. You can also try this,

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://comca.st/3rpUfiP 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Please let me know if this works for you.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ 

This is very puzzling to me. In the past I have had multiple Direct TV and Dish TV set top boxes and never had one in another room turn off or on when using remote in a different room. I also have two LG TVs that use the same remote code and one doesn't turn off the other in another room. 

Like others, the Xfinity box in another room does turn off but other one doesn't.

Seems the reason for the solution you gave is more about your technology. 

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

112 Messages

2 years ago

The XG2, or any Comcast box that i am aware of, is not supposed to be turned off. None of the remotes have a button to turn the box off.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I appreciate your answer and further research that I have done tends to agree with your reply.  The confusing issue is we have two X1 Boxes and one of them powers off when the power button is used on the remote.  It shuts down the TV, sound bar, and the X1 Box.  Our second X1 Box stays on all the time unless we manually shut it off with the button on top of the X1 Box.  So far anybody that we have asked at Comcast has no answer why one X1 Box powers down and the other one doesn't.  If they were programmed to not power down then I would guess that they would operate in the same manner.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

there is a setting using "device settings", power preferences, HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC). toggle to off and the TV won't cause the set top box to go into sleep mode.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thank you for your suggestion.  Doing this has the opposite impact to what we thought was the original issue which was an X1 Box did not turn off.  One did and the other stayed on.  Changing this setting to off results in both boxes staying on.  I point this out because we initially thought that they should both be off when powered down and apparently that is not the way it should be.  They are supposed to stay on so that does cause this to happen the way it's programmed.  As it turns out the real issue here is that we were provided with two XG2 Boxes for our 2 TV set up and should have been provided with one XG2 Box for the main TV and an Xi3 Box for the secondary TV.  This is based on the recommended solution after Comcast analyzed the equipment issued for our set up.  At this time, we have not yet swapped out one of the XG2 boxes for an Xi3 box so I do not know if this will solve the issue.  As I understand it then the XG2 Box should remain on to accept updates.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here