mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I have all the same issues described here. I have the 4K box connected to my Denon receiver, and that to a Samsung TV. Most frustrating is the apparent inconsistency - fine yesterday, not today, or maybe fine this morning and not afternoon. I will try RustyBen's sequence of remote keys next time (I have tried hitting various buttons and it occassionally works, but...)

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

6 days had one HDMI sketch issue and one black screen, but still has been much better than before.  Will let you know after another week.

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

From my research this is a Samsung firmware problem.  Their ARC sequencing is not handling the handshake protocol in a way that would enable stability ina home theatre environment.  The only fix I can guess is to go directly from Cable box to tv then to optical back tot he receiver.  I am currently trying another port other than the ARC on my Q9F Samsung.  I will know in the morning if that fixes the comcast 4K box drop problem.

Samsung is stating that this is how it was designed to work; andIf that is the case they need better engineers or they are up to something.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Chicken731 wrote:

From my research this is a Samsung firmware problem.  Their ARC sequencing is not handling the handshake protocol in a way that would enable stability ina home theatre environment.  The only fix I can guess is to go directly from Cable box to tv then to optical back tot he receiver.  I am currently trying another port other than the ARC on my Q9F Samsung.  I will know in the morning if that fixes the comcast 4K box drop problem.

Samsung is stating that this is how it was designed to work; andIf that is the case they need better engineers or they are up to something.

ARC is something that came out with Sony 1080p HD televisions back in mid 2000's. The Samsung televisions now use "Anynet" which includes IPV. The systems are not fully compatible. ARC does work on my 2015 Samsung 3D UHD television with my Sony S.S. AV system.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I am having the exact same problem with my Sony XBR-55X810C TV: "no signal" message, and the only solution is to turn the power off and on on the cable box and then wait several minutes while the X1 platform comes on. I've changed the HDMI cable, the coaxial cable, and the cable box and have the same problem. It is sort of reassuring that others have similar problems but that makes it even more annoying that Comcast doesn't come up with a fix, or even respond. This is an Xfinity forum- does anyone in the company monitor this?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Razzle24 wrote:

I am having the exact same problem with my Sony XBR-55X810C TV: "no signal" message, and the only solution is to turn the power off and on on the cable box and then wait several minutes while the X1 platform comes on. I've changed the HDMI cable, the coaxial cable, and the cable box and have the same problem. It is sort of reassuring that others have similar problems but that makes it even more annoying that Comcast doesn't come up with a fix, or even respond. This is an Xfinity forum- does anyone in the company monitor this?

Comcast has acknowledged the problem but there is no time frame until patched. Many customers simply change the TV input to an other HDMI port then back to the DVR (I change to a Chromecast connected port). 

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

6 years ago

I have the Same issue with Samsung Q75 TV.  3 different Xfinity tech have come out and can’t figure it out.  They did change the box and HDMI cable one tech said it was a voltage leakage problem and to contact PG&E (Utility company).  They came out and checked EVERYTHING related to the power coming into my home.  It’s fine NO ISSUES  I have also tried connecting to each of the 6 HDMI Ports.  Does not fix the issue

Talked with Samsung support and said I needed to update TV firm ware. I had version 1250. They said update  to 1260.  The TV said there was no updates available so they sent me a link to download on flash drive   Installed today.  I will see if this fixed the issue.   With my issue it does not do this every morning when the  TV is turned on.  Sometimes it may not do it for 2 or 3 days so in a few day I shoul know.  I’m not to optomistic.  Additionally all my other devices 4K work fine on all ports (Apple TV, Sony PlayStation and Amazon Fire) 

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

6 years ago

Rebooting the box after changing the port does not help

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

Changing the input did not help . . . box had to be rebooted.  

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

Join the all of us with this issue.  Comcast changed our box to observe the one we had.  Its been a long time and they haven't had the courtesy to update me.  They claim to be a high-tech company, well advnced, but they can't seem to fix this issue that is plaguing many subscribers.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

6 years ago

Today is Dec 23 the third day since I upgraded the TV firmware to v1260 at the direction of Samsung Support.   The problem, as I thought it would came back this morning.  I had to restart the X1 box via the app.   

Does anyone know for sure if this is a Samsung or Xfinity issue.   Both seem to point fingers at each other leaving the customers with no resolution. 

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

All component makers agree this is a Samsung issue.  They need to fix their ARC sequencing. 

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

Then why are other TVs by Sony etc having same issue. Comcast has admitted it’s their issue to me.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks.  I just don’t understand   ARC  stands for Audio Return channel.   MY TV has only ONE ARC HDMI PORT   I have been told that that port is when you have special sound equipment connected through the HDMI   My sound system is connected to Denon receiver via optical from the tV

I have moved the X1 HDMI to every  port with same results 

the 5 other ports are not ARC 

All my other 4K devices ie: Apple TV, Amazon, and Sony Play Station have no issues.  Great pictures and surround sound

Would seem like a Samsung issue but seems people with Sony having same issues. 

Regular Visitor

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Before I finished describing the problem both the Yamaha tech support and subsequently the Comcast tech asked if it was a Samsung.  With their flagship Q9F I would think this would be something they would want to work.  The Samsung tech on their site agreed with multiple posters that it is their problem then promptly shut down the thread.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here