mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

 • 

2 Messages

Mon, Aug 6, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

 

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

 

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

 

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

 

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

chrisinfla

Contributor

 • 

25 Messages

3 y ago

I ended up changing HDMI to ver 1.6 in the Denon to fix this.  I'm only 1080P tho, doesnt help you 4K people.

Regular Visitor

 • 

3 Messages

3 y ago

I have been having a similar issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 requires reboot everyday”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.

rlee131

Contributor

 • 

59 Messages

3 y ago


@jjgcsb wrote:

I have been having a similar issue for many months. After looking at this thread and one titled “XG1V4 requires reboot everyday”, I decided to change my XG1V4 update setting time because there might be a problem with the XG1V4 box when it tries to update itself and reconnect at night when my TV is asleep.

I changed my XG1V4 “xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General/Daily Update Time” to “12:00-2:00a” so all updates would occur after I went to bed and before my TV went into sleep mode. It has been over two weeks now and I have not had any more problems. You might want to try this work around and see if it helps your situation.


Hi

Thanks for the  tip.  I have since November changed the the update time to a variety of different times as was suggested by someone several months ago.   However, I am not clear about one part of your suggestion.  That is change the update time so it up dates before the TV goes to sleep mode.   My system is set up so when I turn the system off at night when going to bed the TV, sound, and X1 box (after awhile) all turn off.  My TV Sansumg 2017 Q7 does not have a setting that I have found that does anything other than turn the TV off (in a mode that it goes on instantly when turned on)  I have tried changing the update time to like 8am-12pm and just leaving the TV on during those hours and it did not make any difference.   Still need to rebood every 3/4 days when the UHD is left on.    

WindsurfMaui

Problem Solver

 • 

845 Messages

3 y ago

When all this started we all were looking for a potential solution. One that was offered , especially for Samsung TV owners, was to shut the UHD option. That seemed to work for me at the time. But I'm about to take the Netflix upgrade to 4K so I turned the UHD back on and for 2 days at least I have not had a handshake issue. Is there any chance that Comcast has fixed this problem?

Regular Visitor

 • 

5 Messages

3 y ago

Hi Everyone,  the only thing that.worked for me was to take it out of the  loop.  I use a Harmony Hub to take care of all my switching.  Can be used with or without A/V Componet.   Harmony Hub and basic remote can be found at several retail for under 100.00 dollars.  You can also use tablet/ smartphone to contro.  It is difinity xfinity box have not had any issues since I set up over a month ago!  Good luck everyone l

New Poster

 • 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Its still not fixed. I've been on UHD setting on my TV (via Reciever) the whole time and it happened again yesterday. 

 

I've actually just bitten the bullet and yesterday moved to FIOS fiber and cutting the cord. I'm sick of waiting for Comcast on this and having no 4K content of their own. Couple this with the quality of video streams being constantly reduced due to compression as they add more channels and I am finally done with Xfinity.

radnortx1

Contributor

 • 

58 Messages

3 y ago

According to Samsung, the UDH setting for an a HDMI port is meant for gaming: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00079575/

 

We have had  no problem for months now with this setting off and the cabl box power saver on. 

Norpt sure why you all keep screwing around with that setting if the problem comes back.  You don't need it to be on. 

rlee131

Contributor

 • 

59 Messages

3 y ago


@radnortx1 wrote:

According to Samsung, the UDH setting for an a HDMI port is meant for gaming: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00079575/

 

We have had  no problem for months now with this setting off and the cabl box power saver on. 

Norpt sure why you all keep screwing around with that setting if the problem comes back.  You don't need it to be on. 


You are RIGHT  after months of dealing with this have done what you suggested.  The only reason my family has been turning it on and off is because we THOUGHT we were seeing a better picture qulity with it turned on.  HOWEVER,  after thourghly looking at the 4k picture quality with the UHD turned OFF  we came to the realization that there is NO actural difference.   Our 4K picture quality through, Comcast, YouTube, and Netflix are excellent.   No difference with UHD to that port on or Off.  Thanks for your post 

WindsurfMaui

Problem Solver

 • 

845 Messages

3 y ago

My new Comcast tier (signature) comes with Netflix included. But it is the lower level Netflix and so I plan to upgrade to the UHD Netflix and see if the picture quality is worth the extra $3 a month. So I wanted to see if turning on the HDR option in my Samsung would cause the handshake issue to return. The handshake issue is so frustrating that I would forgo the Netflix 4K. So far there has not been a handshake issue. But once I get the upgraded Netflix I will try different options to see if it is really worth the 3 monthly surcharge.

 

Interesting side note RCN cable has just wired my street and offered me the same level of service as Comcast for about $100 less a month than I am currently paying. That is a big savings, but RCN is a small company that is only in a few cities and I am not sure of the quality of their service.  I certainly don't want a service that  has constant problems expecially with my internet connection. Plus they don't offer mobile phone service so I would have to start paying for mobile phone servioce instead of using my XfinityMobile phone. So I am going to wait a few months and see what feedback I get from any neighbors who sign up. 

rlee131

Contributor

 • 

59 Messages

3 y ago


@WindsurfMaui wrote:

My new Comcast tier (signature) comes with Netflix included. But it is the lower level Netflix and so I plan to upgrade to the UHD Netflix and see if the picture quality is worth the extra $3 a month. So I wanted to see if turning on the HDR option in my Samsung would cause the handshake issue to return. The handshake issue is so frustrating that I would forgo the Netflix 4K. So far there has not been a handshake issue. But once I get the upgraded Netflix I will try different options to see if it is really worth the 3 monthly surcharge.

 

Interesting side note RCN cable has just wired my street and offered me the same level of service as Comcast for about $100 less a month than I am currently paying. That is a big savings, but RCN is a small company that is only in a few cities and I am not sure of the quality of their service.  I certainly don't want a service that  has constant problems expecially with my internet connection. Plus they don't offer mobile phone service so I would have to start paying for mobile phone servioce instead of using my XfinityMobile phone. So I am going to wait a few months and see what feedback I get from any neighbors who sign up. 


I did upgrade my Netflix to get the 4k movies.  With my Samsung TV UHD turned off on the Port going to the X1Box When I Watch the Netflix 4k movie it is great.  It makes no difference if the UHD on the TV to that port is on or off  Picture is 4k great either way, so this has proven to me that like some have said that the UHD does NOT have to be on to the port.  The few comcast 4k movies that are out there are also great with the UHD off.  As is the 4K content on you tube.  I access Netflix by telling the X1 to go to Netflix   Also when I look in the settings on the X1 box I have it set to best picture quality and it always shows 4K UHD at both the X1 box and at the TV whether the TV UHD port is on or off.   Anyway, I am done dealing with the "handshake" issue, becasue I discoverd based on my viewing and what another said on this forum the UHD can be off and the  picture will always deliver 4k UHD from the box as long as the TV and box are set up correctly.  Good luck

BrianHCM1

Contributor

 • 

28 Messages

3 y ago

Yep, you have to unplug & plug in the hdmi cable in to wake it up. Or just make sure the UHD setting is off. Then you wont have a problem.

Frequent Visitor

 • 

5 Messages

3 y ago

This is a year later from when these posts occured and the problem still exists.  I have a 4k Vizio 75" TV connected with the highest grade HDMI cables to the XG1V4 box.  I also have an apartment connected to my home in which they use my comcast signal and were getting errors watching DVR movies they recorded.  It turned out the X1 box was too old to manage the decompression of the recorded shows so the Comcast engineer replaced the box which resolved the problem.  But he also replaced my older DVR box with the XG1V4 and this problem began the first day of replacement and has continued since then requiring a hard reboot of the box daily in order for me to get a signal again.

 

Once I do this then the apartment loses their signal until my unit boots up which can take awhile.  I can leave my box on for several hours and even over night without any viewing problems, but once I turn the TV off  and leave off for the night I cannot get a Comcast signal the next morning withou unplugging the power supply and replugging it back in.

 

I've gone through several XG1V4 boxes replaced by Comcast engineers, who have also reconnected my endpoints from outside of my home to the box to make sure I have a strong signal which I knew couldn't be the problem nor can the cable be the problem because once I'm viewing the signal and quality is perfect.

 

I don't have a Comcast signal each morning until after I reset the power supply.  I suspect this problem only occurs on TV's that are 4k and there is a handshaking problem between the XG1V4 and 4k TVs.

 

Comcast needs to resolve this bug or lose customers.

XfinityKenF

Official Employee

 • 

8K Messages

3 y ago

Hi All, 

 

Thanks for posting. The handshake issue has been reported to our engineering teams. I've spoked with a few of you in the forums and have able to figure out some workarounds like disabling UHD and disabling eco saving modes on both the cable box and the TV. This issue seems to be affecting select TVs. 

 

Please send me a private message if you would like me to take a look into this for you. We'll do some troubleshooting and take a look at our options. 

 

Ken

radnortx1

Contributor

 • 

58 Messages

3 y ago

Just being reported??? Are u serious. This forum goes back almost a year. Sad.

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

3 y ago

I'll be sending a PM.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here