mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

We are frequently receiving a no signal message when we turn on the tv. This issue started about three and a half weeks ago. A tech replaced the box and the hdmi cables, I plugged the hdmi cable into a different input port and yet the issue still exists. The only fix is to power down the box through the power preferences every time or toggle back and forth between hdmi input one and two. It is very frustrating to have to reboot or power down the box through power preferences every day. The small box in our bedroom works just fine. From browsing the forum it appears that this issue has been affecting many other users since January. It is unacceptable to me that this issue or software bug has not been fixed. Especially considering the amount of money we pay each month.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Dmf2278 wrote:
We are frequently receiving a no signal message when we turn on the tv. This issue started about three and a half weeks ago. A tech replaced the box and the hdmi cables, I plugged the hdmi cable into a different input port and yet the issue still exists. The only fix is to power down the box through the power preferences every time or toggle back and forth between hdmi input one and two. It is very frustrating to have to reboot or power down the box through power preferences every day. The small box in our bedroom works just fine. From browsing the forum it appears that this issue has been affecting many other users since January. It is unacceptable to me that this issue or software bug has not been fixed. Especially considering the amount of money we pay each month.

using the voice remote on the TV set top box having the problem, use voice command about. what is the rest of the line to right of "STB Version..."?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

SX022AN_3.10p1s1_PROD_sey

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I had the same problem on my Samsung for the last year and exactly why you did until the last two box updates came through which now allows me to turn the hdmi color back on and the tv comes on every time. The only two things I notice is that there is about a 5 second delay before the picture comes on when you do your initial start up of the day which is no big deal. The second problem is what I’ve been complaining about for the last year is that the HD picture looks better than the 4k picture which Comcast never addressed. I found a great improvement by replacing the hdmi cable between the box and the tv with a fiber optic hdmi cable which is very expensive (75 to 100 dollars) but made a big difference compared to the 30.00 wire cable I was using. Now the 4 k looks better than the HD but not necessary perfect. This is something I can live with till Comcast comes up with a real fix.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

5 years ago

My XG1v4 box starting doing this exact same thing within the last few weeks.  I've had this box for a couple of years now and never had this problem.  I believe the hardware is starting to fail.  I am planning on returning the XG1v4 to the local xfinity outlet and getting a new one.

My symptoms are not just the HDMI disconnect that the television reports.  Often, the XG1v4 quits responding to the remote control.  This will last 30-60 seconds before it starts responding again.  The XG1v4 user interface is also noticeably sluggish.  I've tried restarting and even disconnecting and reconnecting power, but that doesn't permanently cure the misbehavior.

(Note:  Dmf2278, the original poster, mentioned that their issue started about three and a half weeks ago.  This may be about the same time my issues started.  Was there a recent firmware update to the XG1v4?).

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

I also have this problem as described in this post: 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-doesn-t-work-with-deep-color-UHD-10-amp-12-bit/m-p/3252555/highlight/false#M179950

Only a full disconnect of power on the comcast box restores the picture and this is painful.

The old XG1 1080p box worked just fine.   I don't use CEC so it is not that causing the problem. New issue is that the LG auto selects Deep Color On for this port when you power it up so where before I could leave it off and it worked, now I am stuck.

Still waiting on a response on that thread for a fix.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

Does hitting exit exit exit 1080 on the remote make it see the resolution change and match up?

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

You have to go and manually switch it off. However if you watch 4K Netflix it will automatically switch forcing you to turn it off to watch regular tv

Frequent Visitor

• 

17 Messages

5 years ago

That doesn’t fix the issue. Once it happens a restart of the x1 box is required in my experience. I added a HDMI switch box between my x1 and my soundbar and that fixed it. But I don’t know why...

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

5 years ago

Ken,

Similar problem with handshake failing. Tried new cables, switched ports, and I'm on my 3rd X1 box. I can eventually get 4K content from the box, like the soccer and baseball games recently, but I have to switch my TV to HDMI 1.4 and then quickly back to HDMI 2.0 to make it work. Rebooting also works. Didn't know about the turning off UHD possible fix--will try that tonight. I have a Comcast tech coming out tomorrow to check levels.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

My UHD works fine seemingly, it is the HDR setting (aka Ultra Deep Color, the > 8 bit color scheme) that freaks out.  Try turning off Ultra Deep Color on your TV and see if that helps.  

I feel like the our LG tv (which just updated again a few weeks back) stopped forcing the Comcast box to Ultra Deep Color (but it does force it on the NVIDIA Shield an Fire TV we have switched through the same port on the TV, so that is inconvenient if someone uses one of those gets forced to turn it on and then restarts later with the XG1v4) because the Comcast box will again require a reboot to watch.  

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

5 years ago

Tried the HDR OFF setting on my TV--a Westinghouse WD55UT4490--with no luck. I give. It's obviously a Xfinity X1 box problem, and since there's little 4K programming available, I just set the box to 1080P and will monitor this forum for any firmware updates. If there's a rare 4K sports match I want to see, my Roku can supply it. I canceled the tech appointment. It would just be a waste of time. 2160@30Hz works, but it's the handshake at 60Hz that the box can't sustain.

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

5 years ago

Potential resolution for me....

My LG 77 C9 TV updated firmware three days ago, included improving the ARC/EARC connection. I'm of the opinion my particular handshake issue involved the handoff from STB to TV to soundbar. This TV is hdmi 2.1. Have had reliable, repeatable proper on-off since. Maybe it will last.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm having the handshake problem. I go 4k box to Sony reciever to Sony TV. Sometimes everything works fine. Other times I get a black screen. Sometimes unplugging the power to the cable box will fix the issue but sometimes not. Sometimes unplugging the HDMI cable from the reciever and plugging it back in works but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I need to turn on my xbox so I get a picture then I can plug in the cable box and it works. This has been very frustrating. This has been going on for months for me.

-Matt

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

@mmagikmatt wrote:

I'm having the handshake problem. I go 4k box to Sony reciever to Sony TV.

Which Sony TV?  At least some of them will only accept 4k HDR @60hz on hdmi ports 2 and 3 and need to have the HDMI setting changed to 'enhanced'.   Also be sure your firmware is updated to the latest available.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here