mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Not fixed for me. I got 97.1.4 also and now my Samsung opens up to a blue screen every morning  but I don't need to restart the cable box , I just turn off the tv and turn it back on and the picture is there. Keep trying Comcast, one of these years you will get it right!

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

You folks are way ahead of me. I just got 97.1.3 a couple of days ago, it says time stamped 4/10 but I think I checked just a couple of days ago and I was still on 97.1.2.

Update on my disconnect issue. I have the better grade HDMI cable attached for 3 days now and the TV and DVR set to 4K best available and so far no disconnect problem. I have to admit that the picture quality has improved as well.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Update 97.1.4 showed up early this morning 4/25 although it is dated 4/16. I will check the TV connected to the 4K DVR to see if the connection issue has returned.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I have been testing 97.1.3 for the last 4 days with it still black or blue screen at turn on but found that turning the tv on and off 3 times then letting it sit off for 30 mins and then turning it on works everytime and I get a picture.It will also work if I restart the cable box like we've been doing for over a year now ! I read your comments that you received 97.1.4 so I check mine and I also got that revision. So even with that latest revision I got the same results this morning  as 97.1.3 , not a fix for me, I'll try it for another 3 or 4 days before I turn my HDMI Color off. Yea Comcast, you failed again!!!

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

It's been 5 days since I put in the new HDMI premium cable . And the TV received the software upgrade  to 97.1.4 last night and so far the TV DVR connection has worked perfectly. The TV is set to HDR and the DVR is set to 4K 2180p60 which is the best setting available for my Samsung 4K TV. I can't prove it is the new HDMI cable but I did expect the connection to fail whenever Comcast did a new software update and it didn't. My old HDMI cable were MonoPrice 4K rated cables and only 1 year old so I thought buying the Monoprice "premium" cable for 4K wasn't going to make any difference (I'm not trying to push MonoPrice cables but I am kicking myself b/c the new Premium cable only costs $5 so I had all these problems b/c I wouldn't spend $5!!!) and I'm still not sure that the new cable is the reason. I guess I could put the old cable back on to see if the problem comes back but I'm going to wait another week with the new cable and see if the problem comes back and if not I'll put the old cable on to see if the problem returns or if the "fix" has nothing to do with cables but maybe Comcast fixed it in an update.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I've been using a HDMI 2.1( which supports 8K)  cable since January and made no difference for me. I'ts funny that Comcast use to call me everytime a update was sent out to see my results but I I've haven't heard from them in over 6 weeks! I guess since I'm not making noise about the problem they think I'm going away! Being a retired Areospace Engineer and dealing with different branches of the Government daily I think it's time to escalate this to a higher level than Comcast .I'm  sure this has been done before but bad publicity is not appreciated by large companies even though it  probably won't fix the problem since it"s been going on for almost 2 years without Comcast being overconcerned .

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

More than likely they stopped calling you because their automated reminder system just checked you off as solved because the outstanding item had been open longer than the limit set in the system. That is how I find life. Things happen because of other circumstances. Or maybe the guy calling you is on vacation or quit his job. In any event this thread is so long I forget all the details . I assume you have switched boxes a couple of times and that  your lines are balanced etc.  

If I don't have the problem in a week I will switch cables just to see if the problem comes back. Have you tried using a different HDMI input port on your TV? Is there a possibility that the input port you are using is quirky and a different port may fix the problem? Good luck I know how frustrating this stuff can get.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

I'm on my 3rd box, 1 set of 2.1 HDMI cables, 1 set of 2.2 HDMI cables wich I'm using now. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV and have tried everyone of them with the same negative results. I called Samsung months ago and they were very familiar with the problem and immediatley stated it was a Comcast 4k cable box problem and there is nothing they can do but tell me to turn the HDMI color off on that input which did work for me.They also stated that they grt calls everyday about this problem so its wide spread. 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

You are positively correct that Samsung TV's  exhibit the problem more than any other manufacturer but nobody should have this problem if the manufacturer of the XG1V4 did thorough enough testing before marketing this device to Comcast. You also can't place all the blame on Comcast since the manufacturer of the XG1V4 should be making this fix top priority sinces  they are selling thouisands of these boxes to Comcast. It's not the TV manufactures olbligation to build their TV's to be capatable with this XG1V4 since I suspect no other cable box manufacture is having compatability issues . We can talk about this forever but there is nothing we can do but use our work arounds since Comcast has the ball ,not us.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

So far, problem has disappeared on my Samsung. 97.1.14 4/16/19
Box is set to power down which is working. UhD is off to port, picture setting on highest uhd setting.
Maybe the key is the power saver and the upgrade. Fingers crossed. Been a week.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

My 4 month old LG Ultra HD has the same issue. I had to turn off the Ultra HD setting or I would lose the picture and have to unplug and replug in the HDMI to reset it, only fo it to go out again.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

Comcast are the people who told us that they were issuing software/firmware updates to fix the problem. If this is not what we should be hoping for what else is there, for them to exchange our hardware? 

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Yesterday morning I took the gamble on my LG and switched the Ultra HDMI to on. So far so good. Then went to menu, apps to netflix. searched 4k shows, it comes up HDR and no picture loss so far. Fingers crossed Comcast solved it!

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@jmg1951 wrote:

Comcast are the people who told us that they were issuing software/firmware updates to fix the problem. If this is not what we should be hoping for what else is there, for them to exchange our hardware? 

After seeing comments about the recent update I turned the UHD to the X1 HDMI port back on to see if it fixed the issue on my system.    Having it off resolved the problem as you had suggested.  It is now working with the UHD back on  No problem any longer with the HANDSHAKE problem.   Don’t know why it is now working for my Samsung TV and not others But “I’ll take it”. Following this forum  for this issue has been very helpful.  Thanks for the help 

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

I just turned my Ultra HD back on, and so far its working with the new update. I'm also using a fiberoptic HDMI cable

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here