Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

7 years ago

If you want to display 4K content then you need to set the box to 4K.  For content other than 4K see what looks best.  It depends whether  your set or the X1 box has a better upscaler.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I just did the same thing. You have any issues with some of your recordings disappearing? It's strange because around 50% are there. Thought everything was cloud based?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 years ago

I just did the same thing. You have any issues with some of your recordings disappearing? It's strange because around 50% are there. Thought everything was cloud based?

The cloud is not a mirror copy of what was on your dvr. It's the last 60 hours of recordings.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 years ago

adding...

would an xg1v4 that has a 4K TV attached put their set top box in 1080p mode then type on the remote exit exit exit 2160  - did that put the set top box in 2160p mode?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Sango2 wrote:

My TV has a better scaler so I kept mine at 1080p60.  Not worried about Netflix for the box since my TV it built in.

@Rustyben wrote:

adding...

would an xg1v4 that has a 4K TV attached put their set top box in 1080p mode then type on the remote exit exit exit 2160  - did that put the set top box in 2160p mode?

Hmm, not sure since I never tried this method.  To double verify, check the input resolution on the TV itself.  I did it the normal way by going to the access settings and devices settings on the XG1v4 itself and selecting the resolution from the drop down.

it will be great to know if it works for future 'help' needs.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

My TV has a better scaler so I kept mine at 1080p60.  Not worried about Netflix for the box since my TV it built in.

@Rustyben wrote:

adding...

Hmm, not sure since I never tried this method.  To double verify, check the input resolution on the TV itself.  I did it the normal way by going to the access settings and devices settings on the XG1v4 itself and selecting the resolution from the drop down.

Official Employee

• 

11.1K Messages

7 years ago

Hi Spokane44 -- The information you received from the agent you spoke with was accurate. Our store locations carry 4K boxes. The location you went to was out of inventory at the time you arrived and was awaiting stock replenishment. The link you provided is also an invalid link as it does not lead to an active web page. We do have the ability to get you this box via tech install or UPS delivery if your store location is out of stock. Please let us know if you would like a tech to bring you a box or if you'd like one shipped to you and we'll have that arranged. 

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

7 years ago

Question I have for ComcastZach,

If a tech brings the box out to the residence, is there s $60 installation charge with that or any kind of installation charge?

Official Employee

• 

11.1K Messages

7 years ago

4fclubmf -- Yes. Standard installation charges would apply. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

So the new people to comcast get the box but your loyal customers are treated like second class?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 years ago

They are more readily available than they were at first release, check at your local service center if they're available in your area yet.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Does the XG1v4 box have HDR?  For example is anyone watching Stranger Things 2 in HDR10 on the XG1v4?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

7 years ago

adding.. 

http://4k.com/news/meet-comcasts-new-x1-4k-uhd-hdr-dvr-box-its-finally-coming-19842/

FCC specs appear to show that HDR10 is part of the XG1v4 and netflix offers HDR as part of their UHD format per the netflix site (if the TV supports it and the handshake between TV and set top box and Netfilx completes successfully).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 years ago

Not right now, possibly in the future

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

adding.. 

http://4k.com/news/meet-comcasts-new-x1-4k-uhd-hdr-dvr-box-its-finally-coming-19842/

FCC specs appear to show that HDR10 is part of the XG1v4 and netflix offers HDR as part of their UHD format per the netflix site (if the TV supports it and the handshake between TV and set top box and Netfilx completes successfully).

Stranger things HDR is Dolby Vision.  Does the XG1v4 convert to HDR10?  Or do you get SDR?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here