Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

I’m happy to provide you with facts. It’s new and it’s a DVR. Get over it.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Reach out to 'Comcast Ella' here.  She will help you.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi, posting to enable PM feature

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

I would like  info on 4KG1v4!

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

Comcast Ella would you help me get XG1V4?

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

Local xfinity store does not XG1v4 ,I would like to get one ,How about some Help!

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Look for Comcast employee ‘ComcastElla’ in this thread. Send her a private message. She will know what to do.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Post to PM

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi - Posting to have access to PM feature.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Yes it's possible. I just received mine. To get 4k content to play I had to set up the DVR then do a system refresh and restart. Before that, only about 4 seconds would play then it would just stop. Since then all seems well. Now if only the Netflix app would play in 4k. I've verified that the program is available via the TV app, just not on the Xfinity app. Pain in the butt.

Oh yeah, be prepared to pay $15 shipping for the DVR to be sent to you. I'm going to ask for a refund of the fee since I've made multiple calls and visits to attempt to swap it locally. I won't hold my breath but it's worth a shot.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi, posting to enable PM feature. Wish to Order XG1v4 DVR TV Box

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Requesting Private Message to facilitate the request for an Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box self-install kit to be sent to me. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Here are some things you can double check - in no particular order.

• Did you upgrade your Netflix account to UHD 4K?  There is a small monthly fee.  (and by the way if you have any HD movies bought on iTunes, and if you get a 4K apple TV, then all of your purchased movies will upgrade to 4K UHD Dolby Vision if they are available that way)
  • In the DVR 'Device Settings'/'Video Display' is the maximum resolution set to "16:9,2160P60 4K UHD (Best Available)"?
  • In your TV Picture settings, is it set to (Auto)?  Change this to (Vivid) and turn on (Auto 24P).  I have a Sony 4K screen, so your settings nomenclature may be different.  Just make the TV be on full 4K UHD as default.  
  • It was my experience that the Apps in the DVR are provisioned over time.  I think it may appear at some point.  But you will not improve the picture over the Netflix app that's built into the TV.

If you set the equipment this way, then all HD channels and all programs will be seen in 4K.  Note that you will need to make picture adjustments on your TV so that everything looks right.  You can Google "(your TV model here) calibration settings" to gain an understanding of what you need to tweak - but thats another discussion all together. In my humble opinion, you should just watch Netflix on the TV app.  The television makes beautiful pictures on it's own - the cable box is just unnecessary additional processing of the picture.  Use the ARC HDMI input to get the surround sound back to your receiver. The big deal of the 4k box - one that seems to be lost on most posters - is the capability to upscale all programming to 4K if you set it up as I described.  The one thing that caught my eye is how amazing the food commercials look - it's like looking through a window.

Hope this helps...

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@RJG1 wrote:

Yes...those boxes will support 4K...What Comcast fails to disclose is that after you receive the box you will be billed an extra $19.95/mo. So before you upgrade your 5 beautiful OLED or QLED or 4K TVs be prepared to pay Comcast an additional $100/mo plus tax just for the privilege of allowing you to view the content. That's $1200/yr. This is because Comcast only makes a DVR box that will support 4K. Most people only need 1 DVR box and you can watch on any TV in the house. But Comcast MAKES you have a DVR for each TV to view 4K. Not only do we pay for content we don't need, we now pay for equipment we shouldn't need. Comcast response is, then don't buy a 4K TV. 

might be a bit of a misunderstanding. An additional X1 set top top box is $10/month, add $9.95 and it will be a DVR. Comcast will likely have a 4k companion set top box in the future but is not yet offered. ComcastElla has pointed out that when a set top box is shipped to you that you technically have an 'extra' (charge) set top box until your old set top box is returned and the system credits you back to the ship date of the 4k set top box.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi, posting to enable PM feature
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here