CCGwen's profile

Contributor

 • 

235 Messages

Mon, Oct 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

 

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

 

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

 • 

1 Message

6 y ago

I just got the DVR and the X1 mini cable box. The DVR works fine, the X1 mini won't connect (I tried several times). Based on what was said in this forum about MOCA and the Amplifier (the amplifier also installed in my home many years ago), what's about if I turn-off the Amplifier (by unplugging it), will my mini box connect? please advise,

geek46

Expert

 • 

18K Messages

6 y ago


@bstboy wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem.  X1 worked great and then I see trucks in the neighborhood and then my service to X1 started to get slow and then today it will not even connect.  It is frustrating to have it work 12 hours earlier and they tell you to check your cable connections.  Is there an outage map?  I try not to bag on Comcast/Xfinity but we pay a lot of money monthly for the service to work or at least let us know if there are outages.


There is no "OUTAGE" map within COMcast/Xfinity... there "IS" www.downdetector.com for many providers and others.....

There is also an APP for your mobile device to see if you are affected by an outage and it's name is MyAccount.


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24.2K Messages

6 y ago


@jcanain wrote:

I just got the DVR and the X1 mini cable box. The DVR works fine, the X1 mini won't connect (I tried several times). Based on what was said in this forum about MOCA and the Amplifier (the amplifier also installed in my home many years ago), what's about if I turn-off the Amplifier (by unplugging it), will my mini box connect? please advise,


if the 'mini' is an xi3 or xiD return and swap for the (same price) Xg2 (it doesn't use the tuner on the DVR.

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

6 y ago

Noticed the X1 box was lagging a bit, so I did the exit button, down button, press 2 for the menu to check signal strength.

 

this is what I came up with:

 

downstream received power: -12.9dBmV

(I have another coax cable that is routed behind the walls that gave me a number like-14.5 - can't remember exactly - that cable is 50ft long, the cable with -12.9 value is 15ft)


downstream SNR: 36.7 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 51.5 TenthdBmV

 

Is there anything wrong with these numbers? I live in a 3 apartment home - we're on the 2nd floor. There is a 3 way splitter in the basement - Antronix -3.5, -7, & -7 outputs (my apartment is plugged into one of the -7 outputs).

 

I have an extreme splitter kicking around that is -5.5 on all 3 outputs - will that help?

 

Can I buy anything to hook to the source, before it goes into the splitter? or an amplified splitter? I'm sure the coax that is in the wall running to the basement is pretty darn old too, not sure what would be involved snaking some newer stuff up, but I will certainly try - what kind of coax should I be looking for?

 

 

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

6 y ago

I can't remove splitters, theres three apartments, so the one in the basement has to be there. In my apartment I have a 3 way splitter off the wall - 1 to cable box, 1 to cable modem, 1 to bedroom in TV. Those numbers are with the splitter installed. I haven't tried to do it straight from the wall to cable box.

 

How much does it cost for the X1 tech to come out and do that service?

CCAndrew

Gold Problem Solver

 • 

25.9K Messages

6 y ago


@jrobie1121 wrote:

I can't remove splitters, theres three apartments, so the one in the basement has to be there. In my apartment I have a 3 way splitter off the wall - 1 to cable box, 1 to cable modem, 1 to bedroom in TV. Those numbers are with the splitter installed. I haven't tried to do it straight from the wall to cable box.

 

How much does it cost for the X1 tech to come out and do that service?


The best solution would be to have a no loss amp installed in the basement ( gaining 7 db in the process) feeding all 3 units. If you have the Service Protection plan there is no charge for a service call. 

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

6 y ago

Is that something I can call to schedule? Should I tell them I was told to request a tech from the forums from you?

geek46

Expert

 • 

18K Messages

6 y ago


@jrobie1121 wrote:

Is that something I can call to schedule? Should I tell them I was told to request a tech from the forums from you?


Yes, you can call to schedule this and also reference the interaction between ComcastAndrew when you call.   X1 helpline is 877-896-8678 or 888-739-1379


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

6 y ago

so I checked everything again this morning and I discovered some pretty big variances compared to last night:

 

when I indicate "from wall" it includes a 3 way splitter in the basement as there are 3 apartments in the house >> Antronix Splitter - -7.5, -7.5, & -3.5 (my source is plugged into a -7.5 output)

 

arrangement #1: (see note below regarding this arrangement last night)

 

from wall, across living room floor directly into cable box - 15' coax: 

Downstream Center Freq: 697750000 hZ

Downstream Rec'd Power: -3.6 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 40.3 TenthdB

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

Upstream Power: 46.0 TenthdBmV

 

arrangement #2: 

 

from wall, coax cable routed inside door casings and behind wall/radiator - no sharp 90* bends, I made everything long and sweeping - 50' coax directly into cable box: 

Downstream Center Freq: 697750000 hZ

Downstream Rec'd Power: -5.8 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 39.3 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 46.0 TenthdBmV

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

 

arrangement #3:  this is ideally what I need****

 

from wall, same coax cable from above - into 3 way Extreme Splitter, -5.5 on all ouputs - 1 output DVR cable box, 1 output to cable modem, 1 output to bedroom cable box (not DVR): 

Downstream Center Freq: 697750000 hZ

Downstream Rec'd Power: -10.8 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 38.1 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 51.0 TenthdBmV

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

 

what's confusing me is last night, with the cable right from the wall, 15' long directly into cable box I was getting these numbers w/o splitters after the wall:

 

 

Downstream Rec'd Power: -12.9 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 36.7 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 51.5 TenthdBmV

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

 

 

does time of day affect the signal strength or other people in the apartment are using it? the uppermost 3 sets of data were done at 6:30am this morning - I assume the usage would be less compared to 10pm last night.

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

6 y ago


@CCAndrew wrote:


Not only does weather affect cable signal but you also have to factor in loss of signal levels over distance of cable.

 

The account that's associated with the username that you logged in with has 5 pieces of equipment ( 4 boxes and 1 modem), is that correct?


 

 

no, that is my username on my parents account, I've had for the past 10 years or so, when I was living with them, it's my primary email address so that's what I'm typically logged into Comcast with. the account in question is under my apartment username - jrobie1121.

 

on the jrobie1121 account I have:

 

two cable boxes (1-dvr), and a cable modem - 1 box (non-dvr) isn't hooked up yet as the TV is still broken. 

CCAndrew

Gold Problem Solver

 • 

25.9K Messages

6 y ago


@jrobie1121 wrote:

so I checked everything again this morning and I discovered some pretty big variances compared to last night:

 

when I indicate "from wall" it includes a 3 way splitter in the basement as there are 3 apartments in the house >> Antronix Splitter - -7.5, -7.5, & -3.5 (my source is plugged into a -7.5 output)

 

arrangement #1: (see note below regarding this arrangement last night)

 

from wall, across living room floor directly into cable box - 15' coax: 

Downstream Center Freq: 697750000 hZ

Downstream Rec'd Power: -3.6 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 40.3 TenthdB

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

Upstream Power: 46.0 TenthdBmV

 

arrangement #2: 

 

from wall, coax cable routed inside door casings and behind wall/radiator - no sharp 90* bends, I made everything long and sweeping - 50' coax directly into cable box: 

Downstream Center Freq: 697750000 hZ

Downstream Rec'd Power: -5.8 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 39.3 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 46.0 TenthdBmV

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

 

arrangement #3:  this is ideally what I need****

 

from wall, same coax cable from above - into 3 way Extreme Splitter, -5.5 on all ouputs - 1 output DVR cable box, 1 output to cable modem, 1 output to bedroom cable box (not DVR): 

Downstream Center Freq: 697750000 hZ

Downstream Rec'd Power: -10.8 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 38.1 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 51.0 TenthdBmV

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

 

what's confusing me is last night, with the cable right from the wall, 15' long directly into cable box I was getting these numbers w/o splitters after the wall:

 

 

Downstream Rec'd Power: -12.9 dBmV

Downstream SNR: 36.7 TenthdB

Upstream Power: 51.5 TenthdBmV

Upstream Center Freq: 30100000 hZ

 

 

does time of day affect the signal strength or other people in the apartment are using it? the uppermost 3 sets of data were done at 6:30am this morning - I assume the usage would be less compared to 10pm last night.


Not only does weather affect cable signal but you also have to factor in loss of signal levels over distance of cable.

 

The account that's associated with the username that you logged in with has 5 pieces of equipment ( 4 boxes and 1 modem), is that correct?

CCAndrew

Gold Problem Solver

 • 

25.9K Messages

6 y ago


@jrobie1121 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:


Not only does weather affect cable signal but you also have to factor in loss of signal levels over distance of cable.

 

The account that's associated with the username that you logged in with has 5 pieces of equipment ( 4 boxes and 1 modem), is that correct?


 

 

no, that is my username on my parents account, I've had for the past 10 years or so, when I was living with them, it's my primary email address so that's what I'm typically logged into Comcast with. the account in question is under my apartment username - jrobie1121.

 

on the jrobie1121 account I have:

 

two cable boxes (1-dvr), and a cable modem - 1 box (non-dvr) isn't hooked up yet as the TV is still broken. 


I see the same signal levels that you originally posted ( your modem's levels are just as bad). Once you get that amp installed, you should see an a improvement. Also, make sure the tech has Moca filters installed on each port of the amp, right now your DVR is communicating with one of your neighbor's DVRs ( they shouldn't be).

Frequent Visitor

 • 

7 Messages

6 y ago


@CCAndrew wrote:


I see the same signal levels that you originally posted ( your modem's levels are just as bad). Once you get that amp installed, you should see an a improvement. Also, make sure the tech has Moca filters installed on each port of the amp, right now your DVR is communicating with one of your neighbor's DVRs ( they shouldn't be).


Andrew, I sent you a private message. Thanks

tctc

Most Valued Poster

 • 

520 Messages

6 y ago


@Rustyben wrote:

@2themax wrote:
I received 1.63.03 over the weekend. Nothing obviously new to report though.

the message you get after you delete an asset changed. the ghost listing still happens 'unless' you exit recordings list and hit xfinity button to show recordings again (then the list refreshes and the ghost goes away).

 

I did not see anything else so far that is different.


Yeah, I noticed that message change.  Wow, that was worth spending time on, while the rest of the DVR platform still doesn't work as it's supposed to.

 

Another new thing that's happening me, when switching back and forth between 2 recordings, maybe a third of the time the recording will start playing at a different spot than where I last left off (seems to be about where I left off the time before, or a couple times has been back at the beginning).  So then I have to ff up to where I really should be...

 

I'm wondering if the programmers are getting some royalty based on number of button presses?

 

Sadly, I actually had to switch hands due to a sore hand/thumb/rsi.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24.2K Messages

6 y ago


@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@2themax wrote:
I received 1.63.03 over the weekend. Nothing obviously new to report though.

the message you get after you delete an asset changed. the ghost listing still happens 'unless' you exit recordings list and hit xfinity button to show recordings again (then the list refreshes and the ghost goes away).

 

I did not see anything else so far that is different.


Yeah, I noticed that message change.  Wow, that was worth spending time on, while the rest of the DVR platform still doesn't work as it's supposed to.

 

Another new thing that's happening me, when switching back and forth between 2 recordings, maybe a third of the time the recording will start playing at a different spot than where I last left off (seems to be about where I left off the time before, or a couple times has been back at the beginning).  So then I have to ff up to where I really should be...

 

I'm wondering if the programmers are getting some royalty based on number of button presses?

 

Sadly, I actually had to switch hands due to a sore hand/thumb/rsi.


 i found a bug or new feature that is weird, might be last related or something 'new'. 

 

start a recording so it is playing, while playing select a different recording to play. when it has started playing hit exit. instead of returning to live TV the previous recording starts again. Took me a while to figure out what was happening. can you try that and verify it does same for you?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here