CCGwen's profile

Contributor

 • 

235 Messages

Mon, Oct 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

 

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

 

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

7 y ago


@tctc wrote:

Here's another new techinical issue.  Not sure what it is exactly, and neither is Comcast, so I'm going to classify it as "X1 just doesn't work about 10% of the time".

 

Apparently I'm missing a good game tonight, because of course my X1 was not working and didn't record it.  I'm sure Comcast will refund me $1.50 for the time it was down.

Restarted the box, got things working again, but recording refuses to start.  Said it was starting the recording, but no recording shows up.  Apparently because it's already "recording in the cloud".  That great, maybe I can watch the hockey game after all, on a 13" screen with choppy signal, instead of a 60" HD tv.  Yep, that's why I pay $230 a month...

Must be nice to have a monopoly and not have to worry about quallity, integrity, or pride.

 

I can't even face calling in to complain for the 100th time.

Yes, I've had a tech out, I think 9 times now, maybe more. Everything is working as it's supposed to, great specs, etc..

Had my DVR replaced a couple weeks ago as well, no change, knew there wouldn't be.

 

But of course instead of continiung to work on a ticket I had open, they could do nothing until after the DVR was replaced.  Then once it was replaced, they closed the ticket.  Thanks, that really helped, good job closing tickets, that's probably how your performance is measured anyway...


This is just another  way Comcast is making X1 such a rewarding and technically advanced experience...their commercials say that so it must be true.  Buying a bigger better tv is what we do and then they come up with the cloud and want us to view on PC/phone/tablet screens...NO THANK YOU.

Problem Solver

 • 

1.6K Messages

7 y ago

You know that you can hook up most PCs/laptops to your BIG TV and watch that Cloud recording on a nice big screen. I can even cast my phone/tablet to my TV using a Chromecast device and watch it on the big screen.

 


@TerriB wrote:


This is just another  way Comcast is making X1 such a rewarding and technically advanced experience...their commercials say that so it must be true.  Buying a bigger better tv is what we do and then they come up with the cloud and want us to view on PC/phone/tablet screens...NO THANK YOU.


 

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

7 y ago


@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

You know that you can hook up most PCs/laptops to your BIG TV and watch that Cloud recording on a nice big screen. I can even cast my phone/tablet to my TV using a Chromecast device and watch it on the big screen.

 


@TerriB wrote:


This is just another  way Comcast is making X1 such a rewarding and technically advanced experience...their commercials say that so it must be true.  Buying a bigger better tv is what we do and then they come up with the cloud and want us to view on PC/phone/tablet screens...NO THANK YOU.


 


BUT why would I do that?  Am I crazy for wanting to watch shows I have recorded using the DVR that I pay for on my TV that I paid for from the DVR  directly? The shows I record should be on the DVR and stay there in their entirery until I watch and/or delete.  I hate the cloud. It has caused more trouble than its worth.

Problem Solver

 • 

1.6K Messages

7 y ago

Why would you want to do that? Because it frees you from being tied down to the TV that is connected directly to your DVR.

 

Obviously if you record a program to your DVR you expect it to be available on your DVR. Technical problems do happen sometimes though, and the Cloud gives you a second chance to have that same program available.

 

You might hate the Cloud, but I don't think you are seeing the world of opportunities it opens up for you.

 

Here's one example for you.  You recorded a program that you thought was just great. You tell your friends about it while visiting them, but it isn't airing again. So you log onto their laptop using your Comcast account, go to the XTV web portal and find the show. You hook up their laptop to their BIG HDTV using a HDMI cable and all of you are watching the recording that you wanted to share. All courtesy of the Cloud that you hate so much. Sounds like a win to me.

 


@TerriB wrote:


BUT why would I do that?  Am I crazy for wanting to watch shows I have recorded using the DVR that I pay for on my TV that I paid for from the DVR  directly? The shows I record should be on the DVR and stay there in their entirery until I watch and/or delete.  I hate the cloud. It has caused more trouble than its worth.


 

tctc

Contributor

 • 

531 Messages

7 y ago


@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Why would you want to do that? Because it frees you from being tied down to the TV that is connected directly to your DVR.

 

Obviously if you record a program to your DVR you expect it to be available on your DVR. Technical problems do happen sometimes though, and the Cloud gives you a second chance to have that same program available.

 

You might hate the Cloud, but I don't think you are seeing the world of opportunities it opens up for you.

 

Here's one example for you.  You recorded a program that you thought was just great. You tell your friends about it while visiting them, but it isn't airing again. So you log onto their laptop using your Comcast account, go to the XTV web portal and find the show. You hook up their laptop to their BIG HDTV using a HDMI cable and all of you are watching the recording that you wanted to share. All courtesy of the Cloud that you hate so much. Sounds like a win to me.

 


@TerriB wrote:


BUT why would I do that?  Am I crazy for wanting to watch shows I have recorded using the DVR that I pay for on my TV that I paid for from the DVR  directly? The shows I record should be on the DVR and stay there in their entirery until I watch and/or delete.  I hate the cloud. It has caused more trouble than its worth.


 


IF the internet is working smoothly enough, that's a decent option.  Otherwise it's just one more frustrating experience.

Problem Solver

 • 

1.6K Messages

7 y ago

The only reason I responded to this thread is because you originally stated that "they come up with the cloud and want us to view on PC/phone/tablet screens". I wanted to clarify that Cloud TV does not have to be viewed on a tiny screen.

 

You can continue to keep your head in the sand and your body shackled to your DVR, and not embrace the many benefits of Cloud TV, just because it doesn't work for your lifestyle. I wasn't here to address the loss of the recording buffer.

 

I also don't believe this is the proper thread to be discussing this issue anymore. Maybe you should create a "Why the Cloud DVR is Horrible and Should be Removed" thread, where this discussion can continue. I don't believe the majority of comments would be in favor of that, judging by how many people write threads asking when will Cloud DVR be available in their markets, and by the amount of complaints that occur when Cloud DVR has issues. Welcome to the future.

 


@TerriB wrote:


My goodness, I  love my friends but that is a lot of rigamaroll to go thru to share something with them. I am no ones cable show archiver.   Can't even 'save' a show for myself or family member that has already started thanks to the darn cloud taking away the recording buffer.

 

Frees me from being tied down to my TV and DVR? Why do you think I have them? In the old days when I traveled alot for business I can see the usefullness of the cloud while on the road, in airports, hotels but why are those of us who worked all our lives and  are retired  and just want to watch cable and recordings on the TV being punished? The cloud has taken functionality away.  Comcast is all about the non baby boomers' needs obviously. We baby boomers ARE NOT DEAD YET.

 


 

Problem Solver

 • 

1.6K Messages

7 y ago

I watch over 80% of my recorded content through the Cloud, bypassing my physical DVR. I would say I have over a 95% success rate when doing that. Yes, sometimes some technical issues prop up, but sometimes there are issues using the physical DVR (just like you stated).

 

If you are having regular problems with the internet "working smoothly enough", then I would say you need to contact Comcast and figure out why your modem is having issues. Sounds like some kind of poor signal.

 


@tctc wrote:


IF the internet is working smoothly enough, that's a decent option.  Otherwise it's just one more frustrating experience.


 

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

7 y ago


@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Why would you want to do that? Because it frees you from being tied down to the TV that is connected directly to your DVR.

 

Obviously if you record a program to your DVR you expect it to be available on your DVR. Technical problems do happen sometimes though, and the Cloud gives you a second chance to have that same program available.

 

You might hate the Cloud, but I don't think you are seeing the world of opportunities it opens up for you.

 

Here's one example for you.  You recorded a program that you thought was just great. You tell your friends about it while visiting them, but it isn't airing again. So you log onto their laptop using your Comcast account, go to the XTV web portal and find the show. You hook up their laptop to their BIG HDTV using a HDMI cable and all of you are watching the recording that you wanted to share. All courtesy of the Cloud that you hate so much. Sounds like a win to me.

 


@TerriB wrote:


BUT why would I do that?  Am I crazy for wanting to watch shows I have recorded using the DVR that I pay for on my TV that I paid for from the DVR  directly? The shows I record should be on the DVR and stay there in their entirery until I watch and/or delete.  I hate the cloud. It has caused more trouble than its worth.


 


My goodness, I  love my friends but that is a lot of rigamaroll to go thru to share something with them. I am no ones cable show archiver.   Can't even 'save' a show for myself or family member that has already started thanks to the darn cloud taking away the recording buffer.

 

Frees me from being tied down to my TV and DVR? Why do you think I have them? In the old days when I traveled alot for business I can see the usefullness of the cloud while on the road, in airports, hotels but why are those of us who worked all our lives and  are retired  and just want to watch cable and recordings on the TV being punished? The cloud has taken functionality away.  Comcast is all about the non baby boomers' needs obviously. We baby boomers ARE NOT DEAD YET.

 

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

7 y ago


@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

The only reason I responded to this thread is because you originally stated that "they come up with the cloud and want us to view on PC/phone/tablet screens". I wanted to clarify that Cloud TV does not have to be viewed on a tiny screen.

 

You can continue to keep your head in the sand and your body shackled to your DVR, and not embrace the many benefits of Cloud TV, just because it doesn't work for your lifestyle. I wasn't here to address the loss of the recording buffer.

 

I also don't believe this is the proper thread to be discussing this issue anymore. Maybe you should create a "Why the Cloud DVR is Horrible and Should be Removed" thread, where this discussion can continue. I don't believe the majority of comments would be in favor of that, judging by how many people write threads asking when will Cloud DVR be available in their markets, and by the amount of complaints that occur when Cloud DVR has issues. Welcome to the future.

 


@TerriB wrote:


My goodness, I  love my friends but that is a lot of rigamaroll to go thru to share something with them. I am no ones cable show archiver.   Can't even 'save' a show for myself or family member that has already started thanks to the darn cloud taking away the recording buffer.

 

Frees me from being tied down to my TV and DVR? Why do you think I have them? In the old days when I traveled alot for business I can see the usefullness of the cloud while on the road, in airports, hotels but why are those of us who worked all our lives and  are retired  and just want to watch cable and recordings on the TV being punished? The cloud has taken functionality away.  Comcast is all about the non baby boomers' needs obviously. We baby boomers ARE NOT DEAD YET.

 


 The Cloud comes up in many X1 threads but I will bow to you and not discuss it on this thread. I feel that you are threatening me if I  continue so this is my last transmission on this thread on the subject. I am not some newbie on these forums and have more than my share of kudos and private message thank yous.  I was a geek at work and am happy for new technology. For those who want and love the cloud I am glad its available but for the rest of us  why do we have to give up features to accomodate it? On other threads I am part of a large number of customers who find the cloud less than desirable and they are not old and stogey as you seem to think I am.  Perhaps you need to respect those who have come before you and have more life experience. We all pay alot for our service and no one should be  moved to the back of the room so others can move forward. We are all customers and sorry you felt the need to be  meanspirited with saying my head is in the sand and I shackled to my DVR. I would love to say where your head is but I won't lower myself. I have a great graphic I would love to post but I know they would take it right down.   I will not allow you to put me  under a bright light in an interrogation room. Time to go take my Geritol and get on my cane and walker....NOT.

 

Be well and have a nice day

 

 

 

geek46

Expert

 • 

18K Messages

7 y ago

Off Topic / Null Post Removed
Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24.4K Messages

7 y ago

1.61.04 2/17/2016 and fw 2.2p7s1 on mx011an

 

new problem not seen before. 

an episode recorded during prime time and was interrupted (reboot due to 120 VAC dropping for a moment. the show continued recording about 5 minuts later as is normal and was in two segments. When I watched to the approx 3 minute point, not one but 2 windows popped up at same time, the first was the 'would you like to see the next segment (yes/no) and instantly 'you appear to have finished watching this recording would you like to delete it". I had two episodes at the time, and after answering 'no' i then got the would you like to see the next episode (yes/no). by the time I answered that 2nd popup, the timer for the 'next segment' had expired. So I tried again got same messages. I then marked it as unwatched still same problem. I had to really work to answer the questions quickly before the next segment view disappeared. 

 

help!

Regular Visitor

 • 

2 Messages

7 y ago

My tv no longer recognizes the HDMI signal from the X1 box.  I've swapped out to different HDMI cables, tried other HDMI ports, other HDMI devices, and reset things about a million times.  The closest I can get is if I do a hard reboot on the X1 box, I get the initial message that says "Welcome to the X1 Entertainment System.  Please wait a few minutes while the system powers up."  About 15 seconds later, as the X1 box continues to go through the startup, the HDMI signal drops and my tv says "No Signal."  I've replaced my X1 box twice already and am at a loss as to what to try next.  In the meantime, I'm using a component hookup to get some signal.  If I unplug the HDMI cord from my tv and plug it back in, my TV says that I've attached a new device and did I want to switch to that input.  So the tv is recognizing part of the HDMI hookup, but it won't complete for some reason.  Please help.

 

I have an LG LCD flat screen tv, probably around 4 years old and an X1 box with a blue power button. .

Regular Visitor

 • 

2 Messages

7 y ago

I've actually done that twice already...once with a technician visit to my place and another one I took to my local Comcast store and swapped it out for a different X1 model.  Hasn't fixed the issue so far,.

BeowolfJones

Regular Contributor

 • 

596 Messages

7 y ago


@Rustyben wrote:

1.61.04 2/17/2016 and fw 2.2p7s1 on mx011an

 

new problem not seen before. 

an episode recorded during prime time and was interrupted (reboot due to 120 VAC dropping for a moment. the show continued recording about 5 minuts later as is normal and was in two segments. When I watched to the approx 3 minute point, not one but 2 windows popped up at same time, the first was the 'would you like to see the next segment (yes/no) and instantly 'you appear to have finished watching this recording would you like to delete it". I had two episodes at the time, and after answering 'no' i then got the would you like to see the next episode (yes/no). by the time I answered that 2nd popup, the timer for the 'next segment' had expired. So I tried again got same messages. I then marked it as unwatched still same problem. I had to really work to answer the questions quickly before the next segment view disappeared. 

 

help!


I had similar problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately in my case the "'you appear to have finished watching this recording would you like to delete it  ?" message was on top of the continue to watch the next segment message and I could not  get to the next part of the recording no matter what I tried. So, my show was left hanging with me unable to watch the end.  The last month or so has been very poor reliability wise for X1.

 

1. 10 minutes of the Superbowl lost to stupid "Channel available with subscription" message. At least six of these in the last 2 months. I am totally paid up so what is going on ?

 

2. Slow/no response from the box for almost everything. Movie guide, channel guide, weather.

 

3. DVR service unavailable, orphaned recording you can't delete/restore. They eventually delete but what a pain.

 

All of this contrasted with commercials touting the wonderful X1 system on TV. What a joke, but not funny. I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend X1 to anybody at this time. I can't help but feel Comcast has painted themselves into a corner with the X1 system and is afraid to admit it. The facts speak for themselves. Still, slow, frustrating, unreliable and irritating. 2 years of endless software upgrades and we still have a buggy/freezing/slow system that doesn't work right.

 

Comcast should rename X1 the MAYBE TV system.

 

1. Watch simple TV. MAYBE.

2. Watch a recorded show. MAYBE

3. Peruse the Movies guide. MAYBE

4. Delete a recorded show.MAYBE

5. Change the channel. MAYBE

6. Watch a channel you are authorized to watch. MAYBE

7. Check the local weather. MAYBE

8 Expect the remote to comunicate with the box without lagging 10 or 20 seconds before the box does something. MAYBE

 

Expect Comcast to finally fix the X! system or go to a system that works, makes the customers happy and is an improvement on the old pre X1 system........

 

 

 

MAYBE

 

 

CCAndrew

Gold Problem Solver

 • 

25.9K Messages

7 y ago

Off topic removed
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here