CCGwen's profile

Contributor

 • 

235 Messages

Mon, Oct 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

 

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

 

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24.5K Messages

6 years ago


@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I need some education please. I don't use the Cloud  and don't view  or schedule recordings/shows/movies/sports on any device other than the TV. When I look at the DVR manager on Comcast I see a disturbing difference in the % DVR space used  and number of recordings compared to what I see on my TV DVR. DVR manager shows 99% full with 64 recordings. TV DVR says 29% full with 88 recordings.  AND none of the movies and one concert  I recorded months ago (16 of them)  show on the DVR manager but do show on the TV DVR.  WHAT IN THE WORLD is going on???? I am starting to panic that recordings on the TV DVR are going to start being deleted and I sure don't want  that due to the Cloud 'thinks' I am using more space if indeed this is the Cloud causing all this.  Can someone please explain what I am seeing? Going to be away from the TV for 2 weeks later this year and am getting very nervous about the myriad of scheduled recordings while I am gone. HELP

 

FYI....our recordings are a mix of SD and HD (more SD actually) because so many series have been scheduled  for years and we just never changed them to HD channels because we just  don't need to .

 


Instead of just letting the cloud mirror the DVRs, comcast has apparently put an hour instead of size limit on the cloud DVR so that the cloud if all files are HD is limited to 60 hours. \

 

Sadly comcast seems to ignore their customer's wishes/desires as they work hard to make the cloud less useable.


Rusty...so what does that mean to me concerning the 'stability' of the recordings on my TV DVR since the DVR manager says I only have 1% left and from what I read on here seems like I am 1% from getting a notice from Comcast that I can't record anything else. I ONLY have 29% used on my TV DVR  and should be able to keep on going.

 


worse than that, we don't know and I doubt you will get a notice. 

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago


@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

 

If your cloud recordings are set to "save until space is needed," as recordings are automatically deleted from the cloud to keep within space constraints, it will not impact recordigns that are stored locally in your DVR. 

 

If you set all of your cloud recordings to "Save for 1 year," when it's full, you will not get any more cloud recordings until you manage your space. However, local copies of recordings will continue to record on your DVR.

 

Gwen


GWEN...thank you thank you thank you. I was very nervous that I was going to  recordings on my DVR even though its only 29% full. I sure don't want to lose anything on my Physical DVR because of the cloud.  I  don't use cloud  feature for anything and thought the dvr manager on comcast.net was for my physical DVR  so if I happen to be away from thre tv/home and need to change/add something I can.  Its too bad  I can't use it for that since I would want anything changed via the DVR managerto be reflected on the physical DVR.  Thanks again

CCGwen

Contributor

 • 

235 Messages

6 years ago

Hi,

 

If your cloud recordings are set to "save until space is needed," as recordings are automatically deleted from the cloud to keep within space constraints, it will not impact recordigns that are stored locally in your DVR. 

 

If you set all of your cloud recordings to "Save for 1 year," when it's full, you will not get any more cloud recordings until you manage your space. However, local copies of recordings will continue to record on your DVR.

 

Gwen

Problem Solver

 • 

1.6K Messages

6 years ago


@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

 

If your cloud recordings are set to "save until space is needed," as recordings are automatically deleted from the cloud to keep within space constraints, it will not impact recordigns that are stored locally in your DVR. 

 

If you set all of your cloud recordings to "Save for 1 year," when it's full, you will not get any more cloud recordings until you manage your space. However, local copies of recordings will continue to record on your DVR.

 

Gwen


GWEN...thank you thank you thank you. I was very nervous that I was going to  recordings on my DVR even though its only 29% full. I sure don't want to lose anything on my Physical DVR because of the cloud.  I  don't use cloud  feature for anything and thought the dvr manager on comcast.net was for my physical DVR  so if I happen to be away from thre tv/home and need to change/add something I can.  Its too bad  I can't use it for that since I would want anything changed via the DVR managerto be reflected on the physical DVR.  Thanks again


The DVR manager on comcast.net use to be for the physical DVR, while the DVR manager on xfinity.com was for the Cloud DVR. But Comcast just retired the old comcast.net site, so now you are forced to use the Xfinity TV Remote app on a smartphone and/or tablet if you actually want to see the recordings that reside on your physical DVR which could be helpful if you are away from home. You can still use the Xfinity TV portal to change things on your DVR, but you have to realize that it might not show every recording you have on your physical DVR. How's that for confusing?

tctc

Contributor

 • 

535 Messages

6 years ago


@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

 

If your cloud recordings are set to "save until space is needed," as recordings are automatically deleted from the cloud to keep within space constraints, it will not impact recordigns that are stored locally in your DVR. 

 

If you set all of your cloud recordings to "Save for 1 year," when it's full, you will not get any more cloud recordings until you manage your space. However, local copies of recordings will continue to record on your DVR.

 

Gwen


GWEN...thank you thank you thank you. I was very nervous that I was going to  recordings on my DVR even though its only 29% full. I sure don't want to lose anything on my Physical DVR because of the cloud.  I  don't use cloud  feature for anything and thought the dvr manager on comcast.net was for my physical DVR  so if I happen to be away from thre tv/home and need to change/add something I can.  Its too bad  I can't use it for that since I would want anything changed via the DVR managerto be reflected on the physical DVR.  Thanks again


The DVR manager on comcast.net use to be for the physical DVR, while the DVR manager on xfinity.com was for the Cloud DVR. But Comcast just retired the old comcast.net site, so now you are forced to use the Xfinity TV Remote app on a smartphone and/or tablet if you actually want to see the recordings that reside on your physical DVR which could be helpful if you are away from home. You can still use the Xfinity TV portal to change things on your DVR, but you have to realize that it might not show every recording you have on your physical DVR. How's that for confusing?


Can anyone explain why my recordings saved on the Cloud should not be exactly the same as those on my DVR? (Or anyones for that matter.)

 

Is there some way to set a recording to only record, or only delete from either the cloud or the DVR?  As far as I can tell they are always recorded and deleted from both.  Or at least I have never seen any command or option that shows otherwise.

 

I've never used a device other than a TV in the home to watch content.  I have used apps to set recordings, but they show up on my DVR as well.

 

And why would the "save until space is needed" or "save for 1 year" work differently on the cloud vs. the dvr?  And why would the space be different on one than the other?

 

Is there an X1 document somewhere that I can read up on this?

 

Thanks

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24.5K Messages

6 years ago


@tctc wrote:

@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi,

 

If your cloud recordings are set to "save until space is needed," as recordings are automatically deleted from the cloud to keep within space constraints, it will not impact recordigns that are stored locally in your DVR. 

 

If you set all of your cloud recordings to "Save for 1 year," when it's full, you will not get any more cloud recordings until you manage your space. However, local copies of recordings will continue to record on your DVR.

 

Gwen


GWEN...thank you thank you thank you. I was very nervous that I was going to  recordings on my DVR even though its only 29% full. I sure don't want to lose anything on my Physical DVR because of the cloud.  I  don't use cloud  feature for anything and thought the dvr manager on comcast.net was for my physical DVR  so if I happen to be away from thre tv/home and need to change/add something I can.  Its too bad  I can't use it for that since I would want anything changed via the DVR managerto be reflected on the physical DVR.  Thanks again


The DVR manager on comcast.net use to be for the physical DVR, while the DVR manager on xfinity.com was for the Cloud DVR. But Comcast just retired the old comcast.net site, so now you are forced to use the Xfinity TV Remote app on a smartphone and/or tablet if you actually want to see the recordings that reside on your physical DVR which could be helpful if you are away from home. You can still use the Xfinity TV portal to change things on your DVR, but you have to realize that it might not show every recording you have on your physical DVR. How's that for confusing?


Can anyone explain why my recordings saved on the Cloud should not be exactly the same as those on my DVR? (Or anyones for that matter.)

 

Is there some way to set a recording to only record, or only delete from either the cloud or the DVR?  As far as I can tell they are always recorded and deleted from both.  Or at least I have never seen any command or option that shows otherwise.

 

I've never used a device other than a TV in the home to watch content.  I have used apps to set recordings, but they show up on my DVR as well.

 

And why would the "save until space is needed" or "save for 1 year" work differently on the cloud vs. the dvr?  And why would the space be different on one than the other?

 

Is there an X1 document somewhere that I can read up on this?

 

Thanks


deletions are always from both (if the cloud DVR has a copy). you can't clean up the cloud DVR separately.

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

The Giant Icon does not bother us as its there less than 2 seconds but it does bother others so  if its to go away then  Comcast needs to modify the new playback controls.  I can't find a way other than the giant icon to see the 'speed' level I have chosen/changed. If I am not doing something correctly please tell me how to correct.

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

Well color me questioning why I can't schedule programs from a dvr manager on comcast.net any longer....sssssssssssssssss!

 

Several of us have asked why the number of programs on the cloud dvr are NOT the same as the ones on the physical DVR.....hows about an explanation.

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago


@HowAboutThisOne wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Well color me questioning why I can't schedule programs from a dvr manager on comcast.net any longer....sssssssssssssssss!

 

Several of us have asked why the number of programs on the cloud dvr are NOT the same as the ones on the physical DVR.....hows about an explanation.


First, you can still schedule programs on the new Xfinity TV portal provided you have an X1 DVR. You just have to remember though that the new Xfinity TV portal is not a view to your physical DVR, but rather a view into your Cloud DVR. Comcast took away the old TV Go website (comcast.net) including its DVR Manager part.  You can read all 30+ pages of complaints about it here.

 

Secondly, the Cloud DVR was touted to be a mirror of your physical DVR. Recently though, Comcast has decided to limit the Cloud DVR capacity to an hour limit (60 hours) rather than its original size limit (500 gig). That 60 hours is regardless of SD or HD content. It doesn't matter.

 

So here is a scenario how your Cloud DVR can be different than your physical DVR. Say you record everything in SD. At the 60 hour mark your Cloud DVR will be full, but your physical DVR will be in the 20 to 30% range. Now as you record more content, the earliest recordings will start to be deleted off the Cloud DVR (as long as their save setting is "Until space is needed"), but their physical DVR counterparts will remain. So say you record an extra 60 hours of SD content, you will still only have the last 60 hours of recordings on the Cloud DVR, while the physical DVR will contain all 120 SD recordings (probably in the 40 to 50% full range). So that is how you can have a different number of programs on the physical and Cloud DVRs.

 

What burns me about this hour limit, is now the DVRs can be out of sync. Comcast originally said that in the event of a DVR swap, your recordings would still be accessible from the Cloud. It even still says that in the FAQs. It really is only your last 60 hours of recordings will be accessible in the event of a swap.

 

Isn't also one of the reasons Comcast stopped recording of the Live TV buffer was to keep the recording in sync with the Cloud DVR copy? Well now the copy might not even exist on the Cloud.


THANKS for that great explanation especially about why the cloud and physical DVR 'numbers' don't match.  As I have said before I don't use the cloud and whats important is that I don't lose anything on my physical DVR just because the cloud says 'full'. So angry about the recording buffer as are so many of us. I need it almost every day.

Problem Solver

 • 

1.6K Messages

6 years ago


@TerriB wrote:

Well color me questioning why I can't schedule programs from a dvr manager on comcast.net any longer....sssssssssssssssss!

 

Several of us have asked why the number of programs on the cloud dvr are NOT the same as the ones on the physical DVR.....hows about an explanation.


First, you can still schedule programs on the new Xfinity TV portal provided you have an X1 DVR. You just have to remember though that the new Xfinity TV portal is not a view to your physical DVR, but rather a view into your Cloud DVR. Comcast took away the old TV Go website (comcast.net) including its DVR Manager part.  You can read all 30+ pages of complaints about it here.

 

Secondly, the Cloud DVR was touted to be a mirror of your physical DVR. Recently though, Comcast has decided to limit the Cloud DVR capacity to an hour limit (60 hours) rather than its original size limit (500 gig). That 60 hours is regardless of SD or HD content. It doesn't matter.

 

So here is a scenario how your Cloud DVR can be different than your physical DVR. Say you record everything in SD. At the 60 hour mark your Cloud DVR will be full, but your physical DVR will be in the 20 to 30% range. Now as you record more content, the earliest recordings will start to be deleted off the Cloud DVR (as long as their save setting is "Until space is needed"), but their physical DVR counterparts will remain. So say you record an extra 60 hours of SD content, you will still only have the last 60 hours of recordings on the Cloud DVR, while the physical DVR will contain all 120 SD recordings (probably in the 40 to 50% full range). So that is how you can have a different number of programs on the physical and Cloud DVRs.

 

What burns me about this hour limit, is now the DVRs can be out of sync. Comcast originally said that in the event of a DVR swap, your recordings would still be accessible from the Cloud. It even still says that in the FAQs. It really is only your last 60 hours of recordings will be accessible in the event of a swap.

 

Isn't also one of the reasons Comcast stopped recording of the Live TV buffer was to keep the recording in sync with the Cloud DVR copy? Well now the copy might not even exist on the Cloud.

TerriB

Contributor

 • 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago


@BeowolfJones wrote:

 Will sombody get rid of that stupid "Back to top" floating on top of the scroll bar ? Grrrrrrr !

 

 Two odd things happened lately with my recordings.

 

1. I got two exact copies of my recording of the show "Timeless" the other day. Same channel, same length, same everything. Very odd behavior from the DVR.

 

2. A recording of a one hour "Hart to Hart" episode ended up being 3 hrs 50 min. 38 sec.  ?????

 

 

Anyone else notice odd behavior like this ?


===

Have not seen that 'back to top' at all..?  And no to the behavior you noted. Having said that.... in the past I have had same show record twice but it was when I used 'other times' to change the recording time slot and cancelled the original time slot  and verified that it was cancelled BUT both recorded. Better twice than not at all which has also happened but not recently.

BeowolfJones

Regular Contributor

 • 

596 Messages

6 years ago

 Will sombody get rid of that stupid "Back to top" floating on top of the scroll bar ? Grrrrrrr !

 

 Two odd things happened lately with my recordings.

 

1. I got two exact copies of my recording of the show "Timeless" the other day. Same channel, same length, same everything. Very odd behavior from the DVR.

 

2. A recording of a one hour "Hart to Hart" episode ended up being 3 hrs 50 min. 38 sec.  ?????

 

 

Anyone else notice odd behavior like this ?

BeowolfJones

Regular Contributor

 • 

596 Messages

6 years ago

I get your message TeriB but this was a series recording that I set up when the show "Timeless" first aired and it worked fine for the first episode but duplicated the second episode as two recordings a week later. Also, why was my " Hart to Hart"  extended to 3 1/2 hrs ? (The DVR must have thought it was the Colts vs. the Texans - what an OT squeeker !)

 

PS. Ghost delete is still around. When will it finally be fixed ? Novemboo, Decemboo, Janbooary, Febooary ? (Thx to an old Casper the friendly ghost cartoon)

 

as another poster likes to say "I rebooted".

 

 

On a plus note I really like the new playback controls especially superspeed. The times are larger and much more easy to read. One more thing, how about hour long recordings showing 60 min at the right end of the progress bar ? A small thing to be sure but if it's really an hour then show an hour not 59m58s.

 

May be it's like an old professor friend of mine said  after I made a 1000x error on a soluability calculation using my slide rule. "What's a few powers of ten between friends ?"

jweaver0312

Expert

 • 

2K Messages

6 years ago

My RNG150N X1 boxes have been replaced multiple times but all of them seem so much slower operation wise compared to my primary box.
tctc

Contributor

 • 

535 Messages

6 years ago


@jweaver0312 wrote:
My RNG150N X1 boxes have been replaced multiple times but all of them seem so much slower operation wise compared to my primary box.

From what I've been told that's expected behavior.

 

I've had multiple types of secondary boxes and they are always slower, some times slower than others.  They have to communicate with the main box, I assume for pretty much everything (and then the server).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here