CCGwen's profile

Contributor

• 

235 Messages

Monday, October 6th, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

My model is a 48" Vizio E480i-B2

I am using my source as the HDMI source, cable input to the X1 box, output to tv using a cable splitter that also goes to the modem.

Regular Contributor

• 

388 Messages

8 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

HD is the norm. SD is a dinosuar.

Then maybe Comcast should just build HD into the package price insted of charging extra for it.

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I guess I was a little unclear, yes cable splitter does come before x1 box. Cable in floor goes to to splitter, splitter goes to x1 box and to modem, x1 box has cable to TV & also HDMI cord into HDMI source.

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I was curious about that, however on the quick setup quide it said that in order to set up HDMI you hookup the cable as normal and then just plug in the HDMI & use that source. I could've misread/misunderstood. Regardless, when changing source inputs I have the option of both using the HDMI source or the standard cable input source. Both work when I use them.

I wasn't sure if the HDMI source would improve the picture even a little bit, regardless of the fact that I dont have HD channels. It's my understanding that some networks broadcast at different resolutions, so for those channels maybe the HDMI will be useful in that aspect & therefore improve picture quality?? Correct me if I'm wrong, definitely not my forte.

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

nothing super noticeable. next time im home ill try and really look.

just need to know if you think box output should be at 1080p to optimize SD pic quality or if 720p is best. anything lower is extremely horrible. 

TV itself is 1080 capable, has a very nice picture when streaming netflix or its smart TV apps. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I am not sure how true that is, because yesterday I tried reducing my output to 480i resolution and it absolutely butchered the picture. The 720p and 1080p look much better. So even if these SD channels are broadcasting at 480, the picture is indeed improved when I switch my output to 720 or 1080.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 years ago

@barbie123 wrote:

There is a problem. You have a coax and an HDMI both going to the TV? I bet you are not using the HDMI, which should not even be active without paying for HD service.

HD is always active because of must carry local channels. not paying for HD still lets you get local HD channels.

Regular Contributor

• 

388 Messages

8 years ago

Regardless if you're watching HD or SD channels, the receiver settings should match your TV capabilities.  Use only the HDMI cable to connect your TV, and if your TV supports 1080p, set it and forget it.

Regular Contributor

• 

236 Messages

8 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:

Sorry but I cannot imagine why you would not be willing to pay for HD channels.

HD is the norm. SD is a dinosuar. Ultra HD is coming soon and will be the norm by the end of this year.

Unless you are willing to pay for HD channels you may need to get used to "fuzzy" picture quality.

I've been nagging DirecvTV for years about this. HD is the norm, there should no longer be any silly charges for it. If anything, SD should be surcharged. It's patently ridiculous.

As for getting HD, my Comcast rep told me if you have the X1 box, you get HD, period. Would not surprise me if this wasn't true, I have yet to run into a Comcast rep who told the full story.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

Will the DVR work in that room you are trying to put the secondary boxes. Using DTAs isn't a good way to troubleshoot, they only use a one way signal (the X1 boxes use an upstream and downstream signal) and it doesn't rely on the DVR like the Secondary box does. Check on how your cable is configured, splitters, amps etc.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I've got the same X1 mini cable box connect issue. I swapped all components at least twice (including the X1 mini). I then thought the problem was with the cable-in connection to the room, until I replaced the X1 mini with an unused DTA box (using the same coax cables) and got a cable signal. I then moved the X1 mini to another room and got the same "can't connect" issue. Primary TV with DVR works fine. I think the issue is that the X1 mini can't connect to the DVR. I've scheduled a service call (and will no doubt be charged by Comcast). I've spent way too many hours debugging this issue. I would have kept the original DTA if I knew it was going to be this much of a time drain. Tech support wasn't much help ... reset and/or power cycle all devices. Has anyone with this issue resolved it without requiring a service call? A frustrated Comcast customer!!  

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I'm confused. If the problem is house wiring, why does a DTA box provide me with a clear video signal, but no connection with an X1 mini? I don't see the corrolation. I did see an earlier post about older signal boosters and possible incompatability with new equipment such as the X1 mini?  I had Comcast install one many years ago, becasue of poor signal quality on the low band channels.     

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks. I will bypas the amp and retry. I think (not sure) the initial setup on the X1 DVR asked if an amp was connected. If so, any setup/setting changes to the X1 DVR required once the amp is removed?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

Like I posted, DTA doesn't transmit back and forth, it only uses an incoming signal. If you have an amp in play, bypass it or remove altogether. That amp, if installed long ago,isn't letting the moca transmit ( how the boxes communicate).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

No, there isn't anything like that. You may have to reset both boxes after taking out the amp.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here