tigerdg's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, December 25th, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

X1 Cable box making lound humming noise

I just got a new X1 cable TV box. I found I needed one so I could watch CBS All Access. I got it set up and working, but it makes a very lound humming noise (fan, I'm pretty sure) that does not quiet down when I turn off the power. My old box was quieter and got very quiet when I turned off the power. I have read through these forums and noticed that this problem is fairly common, and that the only solution is getting a quieter model X1 box. The model just sent me is PX013ANM. Does anyone know of a model that will allow me access to CBS All Access and be quieter? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

@MrTom44 wrote: ... Another option is to take it apart and find the noisy fan and replace it ...

That might violate Comcast's service agreement. Section 6a of https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement says:

... You agree that you will not allow anyone other than us or our agents to service the Xfinity Equipment. ...

Better to take the device to a Service Center or Xfinity Store and swap it out. Check locations and hours at https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

I don't have any solutions to your problem. But I'm wondering what the humming could be. Sometimes pieces of metal inside could be positioned just right to vibrate and cerain frequencies. Other times I know old/used fans can hum and vibrate. Especially when they're dusty and then you blow them out with air.

So check for interal vibrations, maybe move or twist the box a bit to see if it goes away. Another option is to take it apart and find the noisy fan and replace it, but maybe a bit more advanced for normal users.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Good advice. No, I'll not be opening the box.  I will return it.  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

I am fairly certain it is a fan. There is no scraping or grinding sound, just a loud hum. But I am not going to take it apart, as that is not allowed and it's unlikely I'd be able to fix it. Even if I could, one has to break a seal on the case to get it open, and I'd be subject to a fee come the time I had to return the box. Thank you for your consideration.

Contributor

• 

350 Messages

4 years ago

@MrTom44

Hi there! I'd be glad to ensure that this gets looked into further. Please click on my handle (ComcastRob) and send a private message with your name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, and any pertinent details-- like the ticket number(s)-- so we can help. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

@tigerdg wrote:

Good advice. No, I'll not be opening the box.  I will return it.  Thank you.

Hey, guess what. I just ordered/upgraded to TV service through Comcast. I logged into my account and noticed the DVR I'm waiting for that will arrive in two days is, drum roll please, a model PX013ANM.

I suspect I'll be in the same situation as you in two days from now. I really dislike noisy living room equipment. The XG1v4 looks like some great modern tech, but this model's toslink is still modern and works great for me.

So for me, live with a LOUD fan and have fiber optic audio. Or normal quiet hardware with no optical audio. I may just have to locally swap the receiver I haven't even received yet for a better XG1v4. Then purchase an HDMI audio extractor to run to my toslink optical audio receiver so I can use my tower speakers.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

4 years ago

Mr.Tom44,

Yes, I suspect you will experience the same humming noise. The technician who made my service call said it was the internal hard drive AND the fan causing the noise. Anyway, he swapped it out with a brand new device (the PX013ANM was a refurbished unit), an XG1v4-A, which is so quiet I can hardly hear anything. I suggest you ask for that one.  Good luck!

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Got the new but could not stand the humming n they came back with the older dvr that I had  n it still hums n is terrible n slower in changing stations.  I guess technology changes too fast for Comcast. 

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

@

I have the newest XG1v4 and it doesn't make any sound even standing in front of it. So not sure what box you received. Even my older box the XG1v3 was silent.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I hate the noise!  Just got for the first time, satellite never made high pitched humming 

unplugged & quiet a moment, then started up before plugged in

diabolical

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

Hello, @user_8b24b6. I am sorry for the trouble and frustration with the sound coming from your DVR. Our DVRs do have an audible fan, but this should not be something that is disturbing you. If this is still causing an issue, please send me a private message with your first and last name, as well as complete service address.

To send a Live Chat, click the Peer to Peer chat icon at the top right of the page and enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat.

I look forward to working with you soon!

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have the same issue. The fan can be heard two rooms away, even when off. Brand new to Xfinity. Never had this with Verizon FIOS, Direct TV, Spectrum or TiVo units. Guess I have to go back to Xfinity store and get a new one. The TV with the cable box does not even have HD. All my other TVs work with Xfinity Wireless, although it is SLOW.

Also, Xfinity system is way inferior to all the others I mentioned in finding anything on the TV.

And Xfinity shuts down on replays of certain shows and seasons, sometimes works but sometimes not. So Godfather of Harlem is visible for certain seasons and some episodes of second season, but now it won't respond, And reaching someone on the phone is like pulling teeth from a cobra. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hello, @user_78f061. Thank you for joining our family and reaching out about your TV box and cable service. I have had quite a few different cable boxes in my years at Comcast. My living room box is about 3 feet away from where we hang out and I am not able to hear it. We can help you to replace the cable box by shipping a new one to you so we can get rid of the fan noise. I also want to look into the replay issues you are seeing. We do not want your service working like that and are happy to help! 

To get started, please send us a direct chat message with your full name and service address to Xfinity Support. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.
Here are the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I am also same experience ever since i got new cable box

terrible humming noise 

dont know what to do

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

My old box never made noise.  My new box makes a terrible fan noise. It's audible 20 ft away.  It is louder than my refrigerator.  I am wondering why I spent money on a nice stereo if the sound of a DVR is going to permeate every time I listen to music, have a conversation, or choose to have some silence.  Please remediate this quickly.  Thank you for your resolving this.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here