tozheinz's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 17th, 2021 7:00 PM

Closed

Wireless tv box

Xfinity service into the house where the internet gateway is not the same room as the TV. Can I use a wireless tv box or am I not able to have Xfinity tv service? No amount of coax cable will connect to the right room for a wired connection. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

Hello, @tozheinz. We do have wireless cable boxes, but you will need a primary X1 cable box working to be able to use a wireless cable box. You could potentially have a modem and X1 cable box working off a splitter in one room and have a wireless X1 box working in that separate room. If you don't currently have Xfinity cable I recommend setting up a professional installation so we can make sure this kind of setup will work out. There are some exceptions to this but I would need to take a closer look at your account to assist you further. In select areas, we have all IP accounts that will allow you to use a leased Xfinity modem and wireless cable boxes. If you have any other questions please let us know. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

thanks. @ComcastJosephB  I just got Xfinity cable this last weekend in an attempt to ditch directv and have a splitter setup, but it sounds like even though there's no regular tv to connect the wired box to, I'll have to rent additional equipment just to use the cable in the room with the tv. Bummer. I tried to stream the Xfinity stream app on the smart tv in question, but it's beta version and only displays at what seems like standard ratio instead of widescreen. And I can't use the cool remote! 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

No problem, I can see how this would be challenging. It's always hard to know exactly what is possible because I am no service tech lol and a professional technician would have to look at your location closer to learn more. You never know, we may be able to install a new cable outlet in that far away room. Is that room upstairs or do you have you already been told we cannot install a new outlet in that room?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

We had Comcast cable years ago in the right room so I'm not sure why the coax that was pulled thru the wall years ago won't work now, but I was not able to get the box to connect. Of course, directv is live still so I don't know if that affects anything. Are there still in-person tech appointments? I thought because of COVID, everything was self-install. 

Problem Solver

• 

574 Messages

4 years ago

Hi, @tozheinz! If you have another provider active in the home that will affect whether or not the coax cable will work. We do have technician visits available in some regions! Please send us a private message if you need assistance with scheduling a technician. To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastBianca" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here