U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, August 14th, 2022 12:09 AM

Closed

Wired vs wireless cable tv box

I had been using directv for my tv and xfinity for my cable internet.  I decided to use xfinity for both and canceled directv.  I was given a wired tv box from the xfinity store and was told to have a technician come out to hook it up as I wasn’t sure what kind of connections I have where the tv is.  The cable internet modem is on the second floor directly over the room where the tv is.

When the technician came out he was surprised that they hadn’t given me a wireless box and said that was easier to install, had better quality of picture and can be moved if desired.  I took the wired box back to the store and they arranged for a wireless box to be sent to me.

When I received the wireless box, I was able to set it up myself fairly easily even with the receiver and surround sound system I have.

So far the quality of picture seems to be ok but I’m wondering if a wired box has better quality and dependability since I have read in several places that wired is better.

my question is should I go back and get the wired box instead of the wireless?

thank you 

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

2 years ago

use the voice command 'about' and reply with the model number shown by the text "STB version". generally wired or wifi will have same quality as it is all digital. You didn't mention if you have a 4k TV attached. the model number would reveal if the wireless box has 4k capability.

Problem Solver

• 

785 Messages

2 years ago

@user_3cb7d3 Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. We will be more than happy look into this for you. Is the box running through your sound system or directly to the TV? If it is running throught the sound system, have you tried running it to the TV? 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityTimothyA​ I have a surround sound system so I have the cable box going to the receiver via a hdmi cord.  If I run it straight to the tv I won’t have surround sound.

the quality of the picture on the tv seems fine, I was just wondering if a wired box has better quality.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Quality shouldn't differentiate too much from one another. We would recommend connecting directly to the television if possible to see if you notice a difference. If you do, you can look to see if your television supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) and your receiver supports ARC. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thanks.  My TV and receiver do support ARC. Thanks for your help, I’ll run it straight to the TV to see if there’s a difference.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Sounds like a plan! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

My TV has 4K capability.  The picture seems really good with the wireless box. I just wanted to make sure that wired was not a better choice. Thanks for your help.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

You're most welcome! If there happens to be anything more we could assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to make another post so our community can assist again. We hope you have a great rest of your evening. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am using the x1 gateway and x1 flex wireless device straight to my 4K TV with sound bar connected directly to TV (ARC). Problem is, I have a lot of problems with picture quality where parts of the screen seem to be re-painted and at times also sound goes out for a few seconds and come back on. Will a wired box solve these problems?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_fedee5 Thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Forums. I am sorry you are having an issue with your X1 box and would be happy to troubleshoot this with you and see what we can do to fix this picture issue. I can not say a wired box is what is needed to solve the issue, but we can get your one of those if needed. To get started, please send your name and service address to "Xfinity Support." You can do this by using the Direct Messaging icon at the top of the page. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here