ChrisM60's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, March 1st, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

What is the Point of the Screen Saver?

After essentially being forced to 'upgrade' to X1 service in order to maintain our international service, we discovered X1 inexplicably uses a screen saver that had not part of our legacy service for 15 years. We went on to discover the screen saver cannot be disabled for more than 5 hours, essentially rendering our external DVR useless. We have no desire to subscribe to Xfinity's DVR and feel Xfinity needs to be reminded modern LCD displays do not require screen savers and so demand, not ask, this pointless feature be removed or the ability to disable it completely be added. Nothing less will do.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@ChrisM60 wrote:

Xfinity needs to be reminded modern LCD displays do not require screen savers and so demand, not ask, this pointless feature be removed or the ability to disable it completely be added. Nothing less will do.

OLEDs are incredibly susceptible to burn in, though. Sometimes my wife will pause a show on the X1 DVR for a good while to take a phone call or whatever and I for one am grateful the X1 Screen Saver will engage rather than risk burn in to my LG C9. 

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

@darkangelic NOT TRUE for TV!! There is never a still screen.  When is there ever risk of a still screen on anything we watch with X1??

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

@darkangelic Simply NOT TRUE with technology today!   Regardless that should be your choice if you falsely think the screen will burn up on pause.  Thats when the screen saver should kick in.  ONLY if screen is paused to long.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Our setting is the same; 5 hours and the TV is off. The screen saver will kick in after 5:00 hours no matter if the TV is on or off. If the DVR is set beyond the 5 hour limit, it will record the screen saver and not the intended program. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I'm glad to hear you don't have the problem. My point is a screen saver should not engage when the device it is meant to protect is not even on. Nor should a customer be forced to use a feature they do not need or want. By all means use it if you like or need it, but provide a means to disable it for those of us who don't. This is not an unreasonable request, unless the whole point of not providing a disable feature for the screen saver is to force customers to buy X1 DVR service. Xfinity, care to comment at all? 

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

I don't undersatnd??? With my service, the screen saver will only appear when I pause what I'm watching. I have mine set to engage the screensaver at 5 minutes when paused. 

When is your screensaver engaging?

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

Anytime we don't touch our TV remote even if watching live TV....it will just time out.  Its ridiculous.  Like we are kids with limited TV time.  We pay $350 a mos....so if I want my TV on all night for sleep .....I should be allowed to keep it on.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Furthemore, our Xfinity legacy system did not have an auto screen saver and we got on well without it for 15 years using both CRT and LCD screens, which makes its addition to X1 an unwelcome and an inconvenient surprise.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@ChrisM60 wrote:

I'm glad to hear you don't have the problem. 

No, but then again, I'm not holding onto legacy equipment after my upgrade to X1 nearly 5 years ago. To be more specific, I used to have a SiliconDust HomeRun Prime device that I can use a CableCard with and wacth/record on a PC or XBox, but I stopped using it since the X1 Cloud DVR function is so much more convenient, especially when we travel. 

@ChrisM60 wrote:

My point is a screen saver should not engage when the device it is meant to protect is not even on. Nor should a customer be forced to use a feature they do not need or want. By all means use it if you like or need it, but provide a means to disable it for those of us who don't. 

If the device is not on, what difference does it make if the screen saver engages or not?

I don't have an issue with being able to disable the screen saver, but calling it a "pointless" feature is blatantly false, given that OLEDs are quite susceptible to burn in. Not everyone's TV habits - or equipment - are going to be like yours. 

The previous poster also raised a valid point - how exactly are you using your Xfinity device to record anything, especially if you seem to require more than 5 hours without the screen saver engaging? 

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

@darkangelic That's why there should be an option to override the screen saver.....not everyone has same habits....but we all pay high price monthly to have xfinity and should have choice!  

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

@darkangelic  

"If the device is not on, what difference does it make if the screen saver engages or not?"

The difference is our external DVR will record the screen saver and not the intended program if we are not home to disable the screen saver beyond its 5 hour maximum setting. We do not use Xfinity's DVR service because we would rather not be forced to buy the service and scrap a perfectly good DVR.

"I don't have an issue with being able to disable the screen saver, but calling it a "pointless" feature is blatantly false..." I of course do not speak for others, I can only speak to my own experience. So from my perspective, the screen saver is pointless. As I mentioned previously, we had a CRT TV, which are also prone to burn in, while using Xfinity and never had a screen saver automatically  engage and it was never a problem  for us.

"Not everyone's TV habits - or equipment - are going to be like yours." I am very much aware of this. I speak only from my own perspective.

"The previous poster also raised a valid point - how exactly are you using your Xfinity device to record anything, especially if you seem to require more than 5 hours without the screen saver engaging?" That's the point. We are not using Xfintiy's DVR service and feel we should not be forced to pay for it because Xfinity added a screen saver that cannot be disabled, which essentially renders our external DVR useless if we wish to record a program beyond the 5 hour maximum.  So, we only wish to to disable it. It really is that simple.  Would it really be so hard for Xfinity to allow the user to disable the screen saver if the don't need or want it? 

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

It seems this issue has been on going for some time. And yet Xfinity has done nothing to address it. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/When-will-Comcast-allow-Screensaver-to-be-completely/td-p/3141293

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@ChrisM60 wrote:

@darkangelic  

"If the device is not on, what difference does it make if the screen saver engages or not?"

The difference is our external DVR will record the screen saver and not the intended program if we are not home to disable the screen saver beyond its 5 hour maximum setting. We do not use Xfinity's DVR service because we would rather not be forced to buy the service and scrap a perfectly good DVR.

"I don't have an issue with being able to disable the screen saver, but calling it a "pointless" feature is blatantly false..." I of course do not speak for others, I can only speak to my own experience. So from my perspective, the screen saver is pointless. As I mentioned previously, we had a CRT TV, which are also prone to burn in, while using Xfinity and never had a screen saver automatically  engage and it was never a problem  for us.

"Not everyone's TV habits - or equipment - are going to be like yours." I am very much aware of this. I speak only from my own perspective.

"The previous poster also raised a valid point - how exactly are you using your Xfinity device to record anything, especially if you seem to require more than 5 hours without the screen saver engaging?" That's the point. We are not using Xfintiy's DVR service and feel we should not be forced to pay for it because Xfinity added a screen saver that cannot be disabled, which essentially renders our external DVR useless if we wish to record a program beyond the 5 hour maximum.  So, we only wish to to disable it. It really is that simple.  Would it really be so hard for Xfinity to allow the user to disable the screen saver if the don't need or want it? 

do  you have a roku to use for recording to see if that would work? 

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I have sent 2 support requests to Comcast on this issue and have not received a reply. There are also multiple threads complaning about the inability to disable the screen saver going back a few years now and Comcast does not appear interested in fixing this issue for their customers as they have done nothing to resolve it. To say they cannot fix is clearly false. It would be a simple software update. They don't want to fix. It seems to me their aim is to drive customers to their native DVR service which costs ~$10/month. 

Visitor

• 

23 Messages

@ChrisM60 I am getting told same [Edited: "Language"].  We all need to keep pushing this to force them to change.  I'm tired of not being able to get human based in US when we call and these call centers out of country are clearly trained to detour this kind of issue.  And you cannot get manager or USA when request.  Isn't this against the laws for US business? 

(edited)

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@ChrisM60 wrote:

I have sent 2 support requests to Comcast on this issue and have not received a reply. There are also multiple threads complaning about the inability to disable the screen saver going back a few years now and Comcast does not appear interested in fixing this issue for their customers as they have done nothing to resolve it. To say they cannot fix is clearly false. It would be a simple software update. They don't want to fix. It seems to me their aim is to drive customers to their native DVR service which costs ~$10/month. 

is isn't a bug they have that as a feature. it is probably required by the bean-counters (insurance/loss/risk department) to prevent claims of burnded in devices where an image is left too long on some old technology and OLED screens.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I HATE THIS SCREENSAVER. WHO THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE GOOD FOR TV???👹👹👹👺👺
They SHOULD have an option to having it or not.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I just discovered this screen saver limit. Xfinity lets me run my apps but screen saver kicks in while the app (Spotify, for example) is actively displaying on the screen.  Yes, I set it out to 5 hours now, but that makes no sense. It should not go into screen saver mode while the program (app, stream, or tv service) is active.

"Off" would be the obvious solution, but it's not an option.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

They need to stop this non sence it should be the customers choice 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here