Sadie143's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 21st, 2019 1:00 PM

Closed

TV turns on randomly on its’ own

Bought a Samsung TV in October and since then the TV turns on randomly, usually in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.  Samsung tells me it is a cable box issue.  xFinity tells me it is a television issue.  Has anyone else had this experience and if so how did you resolve it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

@newtvheadaches 

Well, I guess I am glad I am not the only one.  New 65" Visio quantum P here and the dang thing turns on 3+ times a night. 

Yes, CEC is disabled.

I will try switching the input over to component when turning off. But I will say that I am not happy that I have to do that. Especially since this Visio has some kind of lag when switching inputs. (yeah, I know, first world problems...)

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

It's clearly a Comcast problem that they're not dealing with since there are problems across several tv manufacturers. Let me know if the input workaround keeps the tv from turning on.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

It is an Xfinity issue.....it happened to me tonight. I replaced my four port type 3 modem yesterday with the newest type 6. Hooked it up and it started last night, I turn off the TV (Visio) and within one minute it's back on. Walked through all the suggested fixes with the same results.

Then I disconnected the Cat 5 from the back of the modem that connects to the TV. The power stays off now. Some command in the modem is constantly sending a turn on signal through the Ethernet cable.
I'll trouble shoot with Xfinity tomorrow.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

How would an Ethernet line affect your tv? It has nothing to do with tv power

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

Many TVs can be powered on by network commands: Alexa, Google assistant, connecting to the built-in Chromecast or other similar actions.  It's not something the modem would do by itself but maybe the neighbors are pranking you or connecting to the wrong tv by mistake.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We have a similar problem with a Vizio TV except it is usually the opposite -- our TV will turn OFF occasionally while we're watching cable TV in the evening.  It NEVER happens while watching through any other HDMI input (e.g. AppleTV).  Sometimes the TV remains responsive and we can switch through other inputs with the TV remote, other times the TV is completely unresponsive for several minutes.  In rare cases I've had to unplug everything to reset.

Could this problem be related to the same (possible) malfunction of the primary Xfinity TV box?

Thanks.  Dale

BTW, it's rare, but I have gotten up early in the a.m. on more than one occasion to find the TV on.  Again, not sure it's related but the entire experience is frustrating.  Thanks again.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

You can try turning off HDMI control (CEC) on the TV, and it may have a menu option to allow network commands to control the power.    Also, I think someone posted here that their remote control was causing it.   They pulled the batteries at night to establish that it was causing it, then got a replacement.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

December15, 2019,
Removing batteries from the remote is no longer working.

Updated: December 15, 2019

Our 65" Samsung TV (with Xfinity as the Cable and Internet provider) was purchased in 2014, with no issues until the last 8+ months. Issue: The TV turns on by itself. This Samsung TV is connected to the main DVR, we have the Xfinity X1 platform, cable TV and Internet. (Note: We have a total of 3 Samsung TV's, 2 are older models, and do NOT turn on, they are not connected to the main Xfinity DVR.

List of what we have tried to remedy this problem...
• Replaced remote batteries
• Replaced remote with a new X1 remote.
• Before turning off the TV, at night, we make sure the last 2 or 3 viewed channels are on "LIVE" viewing.
• Removed batteries from remote at night, when done watching. (Usually the TV turned on no more than 1 hour after turning off the TV.) Sometimes this happened multiple times a night. Many times we noticed there was a scheduled program recording that recently ended ... but not always.
• Disconnected Sony DVD player from TV and Xfinity DVR. No other devices are connected to the TV except a Samsung sound bar.
• We turned off the internet connection to our TV.
• Turned "OFF" all HDMI (Any-Net) settings in TV. (see image)
• Removed the batteries from the remote. (This seemed to help for a while, or maybe it was just a coincidence.)
• We turned off ,TV settings for automatic Software Updates.

•••• Currently trying this...
Disconnecting the HDMI cables from the Xfinity DVR at night. Note: Tonight we turned off the TV, and immediately disconnected the HDMI cable and the TV turned itself back with the message... "No HDMI Connection". This happened twice. So we turned off the TV, and then waited atleast 30 seconds before disconnecting the HDMI cables from the Xfinity DVR. The TV did NOT turn back on that time. (I'll post an update on this possible [annoying] fix.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

Note: We do not know if this is an Xfinity issue or Samsung issue, or a combination. Others have posted that their (NON Samsung) TV turns on by itself. So it has to be a feature (bug) that these TVs share, or possibly an HDMI cable issue... or Xfinity cpuld possibly be triggering the issue (bug) with their software for the X1 platform.

Peg4

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@peg4 wrote:
Try removing the batteries from your Xfinity remote, when not using the TV at night. If it no longer turns on when the batteries are out, then you're having the same issue I am with my 6 year old Samsung TV turning on randomly. We have Xfinity X1 DVR Platform, with an Xfinity newer dual band Modem. Unfortunately, we do not know of another solution, as only removing the batteries from our X1 Xfinity remote as worked.

Please anyone reading this, let me know if you determine the cause of this issue.

Thank you
Peg4

if removing the batteries fixed the problem then the remote is the problem. replacement is free at your local xfinity store. since TV is controlled by IR, then you could test more by putting the remote into a cardboard shoebox etc so the TV can't see the remote's LED.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

We have the same problem with Vizion M series, recieved a new TV but it's still turning on..turned CEC off..so frustrating 

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

Here is what we have tried so far, as of December 15 2019.

Samsung TV LED65 7100 series, and a Samsung Sound bar. Connected to Xfinity X1 Platform.

List of what we have tried to remedy this problem...
• Replaced remote batteries
• Replaced remote with a new X1 remote.
• Before turning off the TV, at night, we make sure the last 2 or 3 viewed channels are on "LIVE" viewing.
• Removed batteries from remote at night, when done watching. (Usually the TV turned on no more than 1 hour after turning off the TV.) Sometimes this happened multiple times a night. Many times we noticed there was a scheduled program recording that recently ended ... but not always. Not sure its relevant.
• Disconnected Sony DVD player from TV and Xfinity DVR. No other devices are connected to the TV except a Samsung sound bar.
• We turned off the internet connection to our TV.
• Turned "OFF" all HDMI (Any-Net) settings in TV. (see image)
• Removed the batteries from the remote. (This seemed to help for a while, or maybe it was just a coincidence.)
• We turned off ,TV settings for automatic Software Updates.

•••• Currently trying this...
Disconnecting the HDMI cables from the Xfinity DVR at night. Note: Tonight we turned off the TV, and immediately disconnected the HDMI cable and the TV turned itself back with the message... "No HDMI Connection". This happened twice. So we turned off the TV, and then waited atleast 30 seconds before disconnecting the HDMI cables from the Xfinity DVR. The TV did NOT turn back on that time. (I'll post an update on this possible [annoying] fix.

Thanjs for your help.

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

4 years ago

I did a quick search on the Internet and it appears that many models of Samsung smart TV's have been having the same issue.  Have you contacted Samsung as some of the issue have been reportedly fixed by firmware upgrades.  You might want to check with Samsung support group to see what they have to say, if you have not already done so.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same problem that the TVi s turning on randomly.  I put new batteris in my remote a few days ago and am already getting a notice that the batteries need replacement.  Your  comment that new batteries in the old remote did not last long is very helpful and indicates my remote needs to be replaced.  

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Two nights ago I changed out my modem for the new Xfinity modem that is tall and only 1 light up top.   Then the issues started last night on my Samsung tv and Vizio tv.   Woke up and the Samsung was on.   Was watching the Vizio shut it off and turned back on every few minutes....I finally shut the box off.  I have the simple Xfinity cable/dvd main box that will record 9 hrs only and then the secondary box on my Vizio.     

Therefore, it cannot be the remotes.   

I am not going to be switching things around when I am half asleep and "assume" the remote will take care of it.

Help

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

This issue has been driving me crazy also. For those of you with a Vizio TV — we found a tv setting that seemed to fix the issue.
Go to Menu > System > Power Mode > changed this from Eco Mode to “Quick Start”. Since changing it to Quick Start earlier today, the TV hasn’t switched back on.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here