MisterEd51's profile

Problem Solver

• 

726 Messages

Friday, September 27th, 2024 4:50 PM

[SOLVED] Replacment DVR faulty but can't get Comcast to do anything about it

On Saturday September 14th when I tried to watch TV the screen was black. I had no choice but to unplug my DVR and let it restart. Unfortunately,  it went into a boot loop where it would never fully boot. After a while on the Welcome screen it would restart again. It was still trying to restart 12 hours later. I don't remember what model it was but I think it was the same one I got when I switched to X1 in February 2018. Comcast sent out a tech on Monday September 16. He replaced the DVR with a XG1v4-A. This DVR has been a nightmare. Here are some of its problems:

The following is during live viewing on a channel:

• When I rewind to watch what's in the buffer it would stop playback and delete the buffer. Sometimes it gave an error about a communications error.
  • Sometimes when I try to rewind the buffer it stops and gives errors. When I hit the Rewind button the error is "Rewind isn't available. This set top box doesn't support it". It gives a similar error for pressing the pause button. I have to restart the DVR to get buffering back.
  • Sometimes when I try to rewind and play the buffer the channel freezes. The only way to get the channel back is switch to another channel and then change back to the original channel.
  • I have a  DVR and two satellite tuners. These tuners are supposed to have about a 26 minute buffer. One is buffering OK but the other one is not buffering at all. If I hit Rewind or Pause I get the same "Rewind isn't available" error. Even restarting the DVR doesn't fix this problem.

I even have buffer problems when watching a recording

• Sometimes when watching a recording it would stop in the middle of a playback and asked if I want to delete it. It thinks the playback is done no matter how far along it is. One time I had to restart the playback and fast forward to where it left off four times.

I checked my call log and see I have already called Comcast tech support 14 times in the last few days. They only wanted to restart the DVR which never helped. They even sent out a technician a couple days ago (Wednesday) but he was clueless. He said he needed to go outside and check the signal level. It seemed he used that as an excuse for to just leave because I never saw him again.

I have suggested they try to just replace the DVR but they seemed reluctant to do this. They are sending another technician out tomorrow (Saturday). I told them to have him bring another DVR in case he needs to swap it with the one I have. Right now I have no confidence that service call will solve anything.

I was up really late last night trying to document the problems. I even used my phone's camera to record videos while the DVR was malfunctioning. This morning I was woke up by a call from a Comcast agent. He wanted me to check my DVR to see if it was working now. He wouldn't stop with this. I was half-asleep so told him off and hung up on him.

I have been a Comcast customer since 2001 and have never been treated so badly. Is it so hard to get an X1 DVR to work without error? If I don't get this problem resolved I am seriously thinking dumping Comcast next Monday and going with a competitor. I have three other choices with two being fiber. Maybe they will treat me better.

BTW, My old DVR never had problems like this. I was sorry to lose it because I lost the 5 years worth of recording on it. The new DVR only showed the cloud recordings. I assume the lost recording were on the old DVRs hard drive. The DVR used space went from 77% down to 2%.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

19 days ago

Hey there, MisterEd51, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your DVR issues. We would be happy to help you with getting to the bottom of this issue. How did everything go with the appointment on Saturday?

Problem Solver

• 

726 Messages

Thanks for responding to my post. Things took an unexpected turn. Late Friday afternoon I got a call from the technician that had originally installed the XG1v4-A DVR on Monday September 16. He said he would stop by in 30 minutes and replace my DVR if necessary. He replaced the XG1v4-A DVR with an old Pace PX013ANM one.  So far this DVR is working OK.

Also, while he was here I had him replace one of the satellite cable boxes because it was faulty. The problem was that it would not buffer anymore. Pressing rewind or pause on the remote always gave an error.

On Saturday morning I received a call asking to confirm the technician visit from 10am-12pm. I cancelled the appointment. The technician that came on Friday said he would take care of that but I guess he didn't.

Can you can confirm that the Pace PX013ANM is the same as a Xfinity XG1v3? I was a little disappointed because the PX013ANM is an old model compared to the XG1v4-A. The PX013ANM is only 1080p while the newer one is 4K. Also, the PX013ANM takes a lot longer to boot and the apps on it are very slow. BTW, I just bought a new 4K TV so I could have used the 4K DVR.

Can you or anyone tell me why the XG1v4-A DVR was so buggy? I would have preferred it if you could supply one that would work without problems.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for all of that information @MisterEd51. I would be happy to check on that issue with the cable box, and get a replacement 4K device sent out if needed. Could you send me a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service? 

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

726 Messages

Thanks. I sent the direct message a couple hours ago.

Problem Solver

• 

726 Messages

I got another XG1v4 DVR. Unlike the other XG1v4 DVR I was given it has no buffer problems.

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

11 days ago

We want to thank you for reaching out on the Community Forum for support with your DVR issue @MisterEd51 . We are glad we were able to resolve your issue. Never hesitate to create another public post for any of your future account and service needs!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here