U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, October 17th, 2022 1:55 AM

Closed

Smart resume

We have enjoyed smart resume until recently, past 2-4 weeks? Now, instead of starting play back at the end of commercials, it pauses at that spot then rewinds so you have to watch 2-4 commercials. I’ve tried to manually forward to the resumption of the show but it rewinds itself into the commercials. I have turned off smart resume for now and manually fast forward through the commercials until I find a better solution. I’m not happy about the degradation of the smart resume feature.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

2 years ago

I found this post/thread as I've also been having "mis-timed" Smart Resume "blocks".  I see folks have had this issue at least since 10/2021.  I'm already taking, perhaps, too much time watching TV and don't want the frustration.  I've turned off Smart Resume in the "General" menu (Xfinity/Settings/Preferences/General).

I really liked the feature when it used to work, but I'll deal without it for less frustration.  Maybe I'll turn it back on in a month or so to try it again if I remember to do so.

Problem Solver

• 

546 Messages

Hey there,@L-2

Are you seeing this issue across all networks where Smart Resume is available? NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, Bravo, HGTV, Discovery, MTV and TLC? Ultimately, Smart Resume functionality is designated by the networks, so I am just wanting to determine where the problem lies?

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

412 Messages

Yes, any program that is supposed to have this feature is not working properly. 

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Mine just started doing the same. I think it’s intentional, and Xfinity is being shady. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_14b9b8 - Greetings! We'd appricate the opportunity to speak with you in more detail about your Smart Resume experience, so we may get to the bottom of this. Have you noticed this issue on certain shows, or networks? As a quick reminder; Smart Resume isn't available for all programs and networks. Right now, Smart Resume is only available for top shows on NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, Bravo, HGTV, Discovery, MTV and TLC. It can only be used on eligible HD programs you recorded after January 1, 2019. We’re actively working on increasing the programs and networks Smart Resume is available on. And remember, Smart Resume isn't available on SD recordings. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

All shows that have it are affected. Used to work, now it is off by 30 seconds (in my case). Also, recorded programs with Smart Resume seem to start recording 30 seconds earlier, and recording stops 30 seconds before the end of the broadcast. It's Ike a 30-sec delay has wormed its way into the signal transmission. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

2 years ago

The 30-second padding is an X1 option. Preferences/General/AutoPad. I've always had that option enabled, and never had any real Smart Resume issues. I also have an XG1v4, so it's a true DVR, and not Cloud DVR.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

We too are seeing this issue with smart resume. Started about a month ago. It seems to start about 5secs prior to the last commercial. Basically makes us watch at least one commercial. I've turned off both boxes for over 10mins and then turned back on. The new recordings still have the issue. It says Smart Resume but it doesn't end at the correct spot, so then we have to wait more until the shows starts. This happens from both boxes, all different channels, and also on my computer streaming the saved programs. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Thank you for letting us know your troubleshooting steps, @user_ed1c5a. You did a great job with everything that you tried and tested out. Have you tried a system refresh signal? That can sometimes help in a situation such as this. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityRay​ how does one accomplish a system refresh signal?

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Sorry I didn't include the instructions, @user_ed1c5a. There are a few ways you can access that signal. You can say "System Refresh" to the voice remote to bring up the option, press the "A" button on the voice remote and go to the right to find it, or use the Video tab and then Troubleshooting from Xfinity My Account. I use my DVR all the time to skip the commercials and love using Smart Resume. We definitely want it working right and are grateful for all of the help that you and the thread are providing so we can get this fixed. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityRay​ I did the system refresh but that did not help the smart resume start after all commercials. 

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

@

If that didn't work, you are free to send us a DM with your name and address and we can help you troubleshoot here. If you want to do that DM then you are welcome to use these tips: 

To send a direct message you may need to:

Click "Sign In"

Click the "direct message" icon

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Smart resume is no longer working properly on any recorded programs

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Here is what an 'official Xfinity employee' posted on another of the MANY threads about smart resume not working properly: "

XfinityThomasC

Official Employee

Hello @user_7deca9! There is currently an ongoing issue with Smart Resume functionality, where fast-forward is stopping around 30-40 seconds before the program resumes. This is a known issue at this time a resolution has not been found. We will continue to work on improvements until a resolution can be found. "

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_ed1c5a​ it’s being done on purpose by Xfinity to force customers to watch certain commercials for which they are obviously getting paid by advertisers. Go to settings and turn off Smart Resume and you can fast forward through ALL commercials. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I agree that smart resume has a flaw. I am glad that at least one Comcast employee is taking ownership of the issue.  I have read all the posts throughout this Forum and am really frustrated by all the generic answers all the Comcast responders were giving.  

If Comcast should either announce that they have a technical issue and will fix or admit it has a different policy on smart resume.  Since this has been ongoing for many months I think it more of the latter. 

looking forward to a little note one way or another on my next bill. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@TxGPA22​ In another response, a Comcast employee said it's actually the Networks who control smart resume, not Xfinity:

Are you seeing this issue across all networks where Smart Resume is available? NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, Bravo, HGTV, Discovery, MTV and TLC? Ultimately, Smart Resume functionality is designated by the networks, so I am just wanting to determine where the problem lies?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue and I absolutely [Edited: "Language"]. This was one of the reasons I subscribed to xfinity and now it is worse than useless.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Smart resume is killing me. I don't believe that this is a tech issue. It is Xfinity trying to please advertisers and networks. If they don't fix this soon I am switching. Lots of options out there, include cutting the cord altogether.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_59acac​ you are absolutely right. Go into settings and turn off smart resume and you will be able to fast forward through ALL commercials. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I would love to comment but it keeps getting deleted, or it's not being saved. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Agree. This is OUTRAGEOUS. Why does Xfinity continue to take away features in contempt of their customers while increasing prices?  Customer oricare is officially dead at Xfinity. Thie smart resume feature was valued by customers, so Xfinity is monetizing it now. Clearly, they cut a deal with certain advertisers to exclude their ads from the smart resume function. It's not working, Xfinity. Once again, you underestimate the intelligence of your customers. We are more determined than ever to fast forward through the ads, annoyed and thus having a negative reaction to the advertisers. You and your advertisers  should consider another plan that doesn't annoy and turn off your customers. 

Problem Solver

• 

339 Messages

Hi, All. And thank you, @MaryD61, for adding more insight. 

Has anyone tried toggling the smart resume feature off temporarily, and then re-enabling it? You can follow the steps outlined in the link below to give that a whirl if you've not already!
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

412 Messages

Toggling doesn't correct it.  I did a full system refresh on 4 xg1-v3 and v4 boxes, and it happens regardless of which box I watch. 

ALSO, now it seems to not record the last minute of a program, a problem that never existed before.

When is this going to be corrected?   In two days, it'll be FEB 2023!!!

(edited)

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

Same here recordings clipped off and commercials off by 30 sec. . Not the end of the world but annoying.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I'm having the same issue.  Smart resume off by more time the further into the program you get.  I have to set all programs to record an extra 5 minutes or I lose the last few minutes of the program.  I've done a hard reboot, system refresh, turned on and off smart resume, etc... 

Is there a fix yet?

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

1 year ago

This is a known problem with X1 programming that just keeps rolling out to new service areas. Comcast support generic troubleshooting wil NOT resolve the issue so don’t waste your time. Comcast has already owned this issue, we just need them to fix it. 

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

1 year ago

I'm typing this on 4/17/23 and it seems "Smart Resume" cannot be toggled off/on and the two recorded network shows I watched had no "Smart Resume" function at all.  I'm just guessing Xfinity took Smart Resume down, at least temporarily.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hi, @L-2. Thank you for letting us know this wasn't an option on your end. I ask that you reach out privately, so we can cover the details of your account. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

1 year ago

It's not unusual for a show or network to be missing it for awhile. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here