eastmoreland's profile

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

Sunday, October 3rd, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

Smart Resume not working correctly

For the last week or so on my X1, the Smart Resume feature has started to resume too soon.  That is, when a commercial starts and I hit fast forward, the fast forwarding stops somewhere between 30 seconds and 90 seconds before the program starts playing again.  So I'm forced to watch at least one commercial before the program starts, unless I manually skip or fast-forward through them.

When I look at the blue and yellow bar indicating where the smart resume window is in the programming stream, it actually looks like the whole smart resume window is skewed about 30-90 seconds early.  That is, the yellow part starts before the commercials start, and the yellow part ends before the commercials end.

Anyone else notice this problem?  I haven't actually reported this to Xfinity Support, but I hope someone might be monitoring this and could address this if it is a general problem.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am currently experiencing the same issues - was there ever any resolution to this issue?  It happens on all recording no matter the channel. 

Thanks. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@user_940a4e Lots of complaints... appears there are no solutions that we can do.  xfinity says it a known problem, no fix estimate. 

A go-around I use...  after you've FF on the commercial, when it stops, use your voice to "Forward 20 seconds".  (Most of my delays are 20 seconds).  

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

You can reprogram your remote to advance 30 seconds and back 15 seconds using the page up and page down keys respectively.

On your XFINITY remote, press the Exit button three times and then the numbers 0030. You won't get any feedback from your TV that the programming has changed, but you can confirm that it works by playing a recorded program and pressing the Page Up button. The program should advance by 30 seconds.  After this change the Page Down button will result in a 15 second rewind.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

I just disabled Smart Resume. Problem solved.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Spoiler alert 🚨 This is exactly where Comcast wants the smart resume to end. I’m sure they can sell that last ad spot for big money 💵 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@ckalldayy​ I just disabled Smart Resume. Problem solved.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I only get smart resume on one channel: HGTV, and, yes, it’s off by about 30 seconds or more. No other channel I record has smart resume. Figure that one out! And, I don’t use the Xfinity remote. I use a universal remote, so I guess I live with it.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Is there a fix for this yet?

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@Texas-Cdn  nope. Worse than ever. I have programs that start recording too late, ones that end too soon, smart resume not working correctly. It’s a mess that Xfinity does not seem to be able to fix or want to fix. 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

3 years ago

It's now been three months since I first posted about this problem, and it still is unresolved.  Xfinity has reached out to me multiple times to get more information and to say that they know about the problem and are working on it.  Everyone I corresponded with has been extremely cordial and considerate.  But still, it's been three months and nothing has happened.  Some people have suggested that the early resume might  be intentional on Xfinity's part, to get  people who want to avoid commercials to at least watch some of them.  This always seemed far-fetched to me, since Smart Resume seems to me to be a more "advanced" feature that only a relatively few people use.   But now, after all this time, I don't know what to believe any more.  This was never, to me, a huge problem, because there's a relatively easy work around -- just fast forward some more.  But, like Watergate, it wasn't the scandal so much as it was the cover-up.  

So, Xfinity, maybe it's time to let us know what's really going on.  The scandal isn't really a big deal, but the cover-up is starting to be concerning.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@eastmoreland the work around is not that easy. If I fast forward after the smart resume stops, more often than not, it goes right back to where it stopped the first time. Thank you for fighting the fight, but since Xfinity knows about this issue and has yet to resolve it or even address it, it appears that we are stuck with it.  Maybe time to turn off smart resume. 

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

I have been working this issue continuously since you first posted about it, and I have also gotten nowhere. When I tried to engage Xfinity executives directly, I was contacted by a corporate "troubleshooter" who confirmed that Xfinity a) knows about the issue, b) it is a wide-spread and pervasive problem, and c) that they are "working diligently every day to resolve it." I have seen no evidence to support that. Here is the person's name and contract information that I spoke with. I would encourage everyone who reads this and cares about it to e-mail and/or call this person directly and complain. For what it's worth, I forward every single new comment on this thread directly to this person, and have yet to receive a single acknowledgment from her or anyone else. It seems to be like so many things in business lately - no one cares about satisfying customers unless they're LOSING customers. Since I and all of you continue to subscribe to cable and pay our bills on time, no one is genuinely interested in how annoyed or frustrated we are. I think Xfinity would be wise to consider that everyone who is frustrated with this (and so many other issues) are simply poised on the brink of cancelling their service in droves the minute that something remotely comparable (not necessarily even BETTER) comes along. Here is the contact info: 

Kyle [Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

It is apparently going to take a class action lawsuit to get Xfinity to correct the issue, which I have no doubt they could fix in a minute. Any attorneys in this discussion? 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_24efbe​ I just disabled Smart Resume. Problem solved.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, I’m blocked from fast forwarding where it stops, too. It just goes back to the start of the commercial. It did occur to me that Comcast does this intentionally. I finally turned off smart resume. 

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@Jens0874  @user_24efbe  You folks should set up your remotes for 30-second skip.  It's described earlier in this long thread.  When smart resume stops for me, I hit the 30-second skip button, and if I've gone too far, hit the 15-second back button.

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Hi, @Jens0874. I definitely understand how this can be an inconvenience. With that said, it would be my pleasure to look into this further so that we can open a ticket if needed. If possible, please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address so that we can assist you further. 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Add me to the list of customers who are INCREDIBLY ANNOYED by this problem!! I finally got around to seeing if others have reported this issue and found this thread. (Edited: Language)

This is clearly some sort of software problem because it used to work beautifully.

Let’s go, Comcast, fix it!!!!

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

567 Messages

Thanks for letting us know this is affecting you as well, @user_e1e837. We'd love to further investigate this issue together. Would you be willing to send us a private message with your full name and address?

Click "Sign in" if necessary

-Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

-Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

-Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list that appears, and the "Xfinity Support" graphic will replace the "To:" line

-Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

-Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I too am having this same issue.  People have been posting this issue for months and still no resolution!  It's so annoying.  Come on Comcast lord knows I pay enough for your service how about making this a priority!

Problem Solver

• 

492 Messages

Hello @user_9ce950, thanks for reaching out. We will be happy to take a further look into this for you! Feel free to send us a direct message with your full name and full address and our team will be happy to help! 

Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

I no longer work for Comcast.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Well that was a waste of time… scrolled and scrolled trying to send a peer to peer message about this issue

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

So I’ve noticed on mine that everything works correctly when I record on The CW. Recordings don’t start 2 minutes early don’t end early and Smart Resume works correctly. However, FOX, CBS, NBC and ABC are all screwed up. 

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

@user_d03cc5 I agree.  The CW is the closest network to working correctly.  For me, it only seems to be off by about 10-15 seconds, definitely in the range of acceptable.  The other networks are worse.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Smart Resume was originally a wonderful feature and one that was long overdue. It stopped working for us months ago. We've tried all the suggestions to fix it but with no success. It's very disappointing! 

At first, we thought it was done intentionally to get people to watch those last few commercials or TV show previews. And who knows for sure... We fast forward through them. Not right away, though. You have to let the commercials play for a few seconds before fast forwarding, or otherwise, it will "rewind." 

Since there doesn't seem to be a fix, we'll probably just turn that feature off. But after reading here how Xfinity has neglected to resolve this issue for all these people, after all this time, it would appear we're not important to them. It might be time to make a change.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

hello @user_49dc10, I am sorry to hear that the Smart Resume is not working for you. Smart Resume isn't available for all programs and networks. Right now, Smart Resume is only available for top shows on NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, Bravo, HGTV, Discovery, MTV and TLC. It can only be used on eligible HD programs you recorded after January 1, 2019. We’re actively working on increasing the programs and networks Smart Resume is available on. And remember, Smart Resume isn't available on SD recordings. Are you getting an error code or message when you are trying to use the Smart Resume feature? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

We know it’s not available on all shows. The problem is that several months ago on the programs that do feature Smart Resume, it no longer stops at the commercial end but rather we are still subjected to commercials. About 30 seconds of commercials. On some, not all, if you try to ff to the actual resume of the recorded show it will only revert back to the commercial where we started. We want this fixed or what is the point of Smart Resume. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

We've since turned the feature off to avoid the problem mentioned about starting the fast forward too soon.  As soon as we get fiberoptics to our place, we're gonna dump comcast and try things like YouTube TV.   Our Comcast bill is nearly $250/month and we have had problems with pixelating video for years that the Comcast techs can't fix.

Contributor

• 

116 Messages

2 years ago

I have found that in the last couple of weeks, all the smart-resume channels that I watch (I rarely watch Discovery) have the problem limited to less than 30 seconds.  So one 30-second skip plus one 15-second back will get you within 10 seconds of the program start.  Still not fixed, but better than before.

And regarding pixelation, which I guess should be a different thread, I've been noticing it more and more lately too.  Mostly on Showtime, but it was also really bad on one of the NFL conference championship games last week.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@eastmoreland I am gald to hear there have been some changes made with the smart resume we are still working on improving it and appreciate any feed back. As for your reception issues It should be a different post but no worries if you did want me to check into that for you I would need to get your account information in private.

If you could send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you!

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us: • Click "Sign In" if necessary • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page) • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window • Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Same problem for us.  Maybe I am blind, but I cannot find a "Peer to peer chat" icon anywhere!  

Upper right has the bell and a round circle that is green and a white U inside that is to access my profile.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

The icon is not there in Chrome, but is in Edge???

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I live in Everett, WA and this problem started early in January. I am angry that I am forced to watch exactly 1 minute of commercials 5 times for each prime-time show. “Fast Resume” is False Advertising!!

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I’ve been having the exact same problem in Bellingham. It is so frustrating that I am going to turn off Smart Resume. It used to work great. But for the past month it’s been terrible. Also, I’ve noticed a .25 second delay in audio for some shows recorded on my DVR, which is particularly annoying when watching music performances.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here