raycurras's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 17th, 2019 3:00 PM

Closed

slow remote response...

hi...two weeks ago, I have been experiencing extremely slow reponse from my control...the only solution so far is power cycling the xfinity "box", then all becomes normal again...but again the same happens at the next day...can someone help?...thanks...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@fedup978 wrote:

Maybe I am missing something here, if the STB's are power cycled every night as you said, why is it so many people have reported slow remote response??  I am just trying to understand as I was told it was more load related to the node a person is on.  That I can understand as the system is only capable of  a certain throughput and if you try to do something at a peak time it would be slower to respond to all the load placed on the node.

I'm not convinced about that part either.  I had the slow response symptoms for a short time and it seemed like rebooting or sending a system refresh would clear it up for several days.  Unless the timing I saw was just coincidental and it's really about your depth in the system connection queue I don't see why the difference would show for days if there is a reboot happening nightly.  Maybe the reboots stop happening properly in the same conditions that make the responses slow.

Contributor

• 

284 Messages

4 years ago

Maybe I am missing something here, if the STB's are power cycled every night as you said, why is it so many people have reported slow remote response??  I am just trying to understand as I was told it was more load related to the node a person is on.  That I can understand as the system is only capable of  a certain throughput and if you try to do something at a peak time it would be slower to respond to all the load placed on the node.

Contributor

• 

56 Messages

4 years ago

All I know is that it's still happening for me .... the problem lies with CC not us  Man Mad

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Dvrmitch wrote:

All I know is that it's still happening for me .... the problem lies with CC not us  Man Mad

if you continue to experience this (not just a short term issue) then a tech is needed to find out why you are having the issue with the set top box. the X1 set top boxes do not use the same data connection (CMTS) as your modem/gateway uses. This is not a 'loaded up' node issue. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@spbutler wrote:
Incorrect. Same cmts. This may be due to LTE interference on certain channels. I have noticed that if I switch to a different channel the issue seems to resolve. There are a few frequencies that are affected by LTE interference. The remote is RF so this may be the issue. I would suggest trying a different channel when you have the issue and see if it improves. At that point you could provide more info to the service tech.

the information (data) from the remote is received by the set top box and sent by its own (or an in-home hub's) modem. that modem is attached to a different network controller (CMTS). the information is sent to a Comcast server which then sends the command back to the same set top box to execute. You can use your own wifi or cell data to do the remote functions using a smart device (like an iphone) and the Xfinity TV Remote app. when you enter a channel on the app do you see the same 'lag' or delay? delay is caused in home by the set top box not being able to communicated upstream effectively to its CMTS. This can be caused (usually) by in-home wiring, splitters, and is affected by poor grounding/cabling, damaged (example a nail) coax). The issue can be outside of the home plant anywhere along the say. The local field tech can read the signals using a special device and uses a special cell phone app to do additional tests. the channel you are watching does not affect the signal path of the data sent from the set top box to Comcast servers and back to your set top box.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Incorrect. Same cmts. This may be due to LTE interference on certain channels. I have noticed that if I switch to a different channel the issue seems to resolve. There are a few frequencies that are affected by LTE interference. The remote is RF so this may be the issue. I would suggest trying a different channel when you have the issue and see if it improves. At that point you could provide more info to the service tech.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Not sure who told you it's a separate CMTS. I worked on these since day one. I fully understand the cable path forward and reverse But what I'm suggesting is to try a different channel and see how your remote responds. I have seen it more than once. It's just a suggestion to try and give more info. I'm interested if others have noticed this.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Is this just certain model boxes having the issue. Mine is an older DVR with the audio and digital audio outputs. I'm on my second box. Same issue. Comcast person replacing box said it's because it's an older box and said I should get the newer box with the ARC HDMI audio out. This would require a new stereo receiver. So please post which box you have.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@spbutler wrote:
Is this just certain model boxes having the issue. Mine is an older DVR with the audio and digital audio outputs. I'm on my second box. Same issue. Comcast person replacing box said it's because it's an older box and said I should get the newer box with the ARC HDMI audio out. This would require a new stereo receiver. So please post which box you have.

a tech visit will find the wiring problem. it is inside or outside of your home. you could try running the set top box on the modem's connection to see if it is the outlet (as a test of home wiring). In some cases the locations are not conveniently close enough to try.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Box finally failed. Stuck in software download. Replaced box with a different model. XG1-A. Old box had component outputs and HDMI. New box has just HDMI plus optical audio output. Problem resolved.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@spbutler wrote:
Box finally failed. Stuck in software download. Replaced box with a different model. XG1-A. Old box had component outputs and HDMI. New box has just HDMI plus optical audio output. Problem resolved.

if the new set top box is xg1-a it is the oldest x1 DVR and has only 5 tuners available and notable historic audio drop out problems. swap for 4k DVR (no clock) for 6 tuners and 4k capability.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

My stereo receiver only has RCA and optical and digital coax in. They tried to give that to me before and told me I need to buy a new stereo with HDMI. Thanks for the info. But back to the original issue. It seems the other 2 boxes was the problem for remote response, voice remote issues and tiling and rebooting. I'm not ready for a new stereo.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@spbutler wrote:
My stereo receiver only has RCA and optical and digital coax in. They tried to give that to me before and told me I need to buy a new stereo with HDMI. Thanks for the info. But back to the original issue. It seems the other 2 boxes was the problem for remote response, voice remote issues and tiling and rebooting. I'm not ready for a new stereo.

like you i'm not ready to replace my Sony receiver. I put in the xg1v4 (4k) and a breakout box (4 HDMI in 2 out and audio out via optical) from Amazon because i was adding another HDMI device (roku ultra) to that location and needed more inputs. wife missed the 'clock' but we had an old digital clock that is now back in service to replace the DVR's clock.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I had the older box as well for some reason even though it was installed in May 2019 when I left Direct TV and returned to Comcast.

A week ago we had a snow storm that knocked down a tree that took out local power lines as well as a cable wire coming to my house. After many redirects over three days by customer service I finally reached someone who ordered a technician to come out and repair the line.

The Technician couldn't reach the line with his ladder but called in a favor from a nearby bucket truck to swing by my property. The Technician rewired the cable coming into the house that he could reach,  and then stopped in and told me that the cable feed routed to my house was connected to a power pole at the front of my neighbor's property a couple of hundred feet away rather than the power pole at the back of my propery only some 40 feet away. Working with his bucket buddy, they relocated my cable feed to the nearby pole. It dramatically increased signal strength. He also switched out the old style box with the most current version. These changes fixed the issue of slow speed menu loading as well as the inability to use voice commands.

I was very pleased with the knowledge and quality of service provided by this young technician.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Turned off the DVR/control box for 2 or 3 minutes and when we turned it on again, remote was back to normal. We'll see how she keeps on keep'n on. Thanks for the suggestion.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here