raycurras's profile

New Poster

 • 

2 Messages

Wed, Jul 17, 2019 3:00 PM

slow remote response...

hi...two weeks ago, I have been experiencing extremely slow reponse from my control...the only solution so far is power cycling the xfinity "box", then all becomes normal again...but again the same happens at the next day...can someone help?...thanks...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Responses

fedup978

Valued Contributor

 • 

237 Messages

1 y ago

Rusty,  I am not using any app.   I am using the comcast remote and this slow response happens.  Let the base equipment process work   All I want is the equipment to work without all the bells and whistles.  Let comcast fix the issue and let them tell us when they will fix the issue.   For once in 5 years I would like to see a solution to an Issue.  Yes I am not happy with what I have to pay for from this company.  You may love comcast but I am not happy with what I have.  Getting off the soap box.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24K Messages

1 y ago


@fedup978 wrote:

Rusty,  I am not using any app.   I am using the comcast remote and this slow response happens.  Let the base equipment process work   All I want is the equipment to work without all the bells and whistles.  Let comcast fix the issue and let them tell us when they will fix the issue.   For once in 5 years I would like to see a solution to an Issue.  Yes I am not happy with what I have to pay for from this company.  You may love comcast but I am not happy with what I have.  Getting off the soap box.


the idea is to test your local ability to operate the server without communicating 'up' to comast servers. if it works fast with the app but not with your local remote then there are issues that a tech can fix so it is fast. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
fedup978

Valued Contributor

 • 

237 Messages

1 y ago

I have had the techs here several times.  I have been told each time that the levels are fine,  that the node I am on is heavily loaded and that it is suppose to be upgraded.  I am not sure if that has taken place or not.  I still have the issues so I would guess that it has not been done.  All I want is to stop having issues every week.  I don't think that is too much to ask of the cable provider.  I still have FIOS in another area and for 16 years I have had 3 issues during that time, all with downed cables.  That is the type of service that I am looking for from comcast and so far they have not been able to deliver it.

carlestes

Contributor

 • 

21 Messages

1 y ago

There is zero reason for us/me to do Comcasts troubleshooting bits. It's on their plate...

 

Period.....

Cody21

Regular Contributor

 • 

158 Messages

1 y ago


@carlestes wrote:

There is zero reason for us/me to do Comcasts troubleshooting bits. It's on their plate...

 

Period.....


Totally TOTALLY agree.  It would go far if COMCAST would pipe up on this topic - either acknowledge the issue & that they're "Looking into it" ... or they "Can't reproduce", thereby at least researching into the complaints.   And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

lesmikesell

Valued Contributor

 • 

527 Messages

1 y ago


@Cody21 wrote:

And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

But it doesn't make much sense that some boxes have it at different times either.   Several months ago I had the problem and just started sending a refresh from my phone app nightly before going to bed so I didn't have to wait for it to complete, but then the problem went away and hasn't come back.

 

I'd guess it was regional server capacity or upstream communication issues but don't see how the refresh fixes that.

Rustyben

Expert

 • 

24K Messages

1 y ago


@lesmikesell wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

But it doesn't make much sense that some boxes have it at different times either.   Several months ago I had the problem and just started sending a refresh from my phone app nightly before going to bed so I didn't have to wait for it to complete, but then the problem went away and hasn't come back.

 

I'd guess it was regional server capacity or upstream communication issues but don't see how the refresh fixes that.


the refresh checks for update upon reboot, clears memory that was in use, and installs a fresh copy of the operating system/control from the storage drive to the STB's ram. the hub has a DOCSIS modem and rebooting that causes each 'channel' it uses for data both up and down to be selected and tested during the initialization 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
fedup978

Valued Contributor

 • 

237 Messages

1 y ago

While I understand what you are saying the refresh does to the system, why is it that the customer needs to do this daily, weekly, or monthly??  I don't feel that I should have to be doing these things to fix something that keeps coming back.  Why doesn't comcast do that every night on every box remotely, we know that they can do that or FIX the issue?  What you are recommending is again in my mind is a temporary solution that has been pushed out to the customer to fix a design issue within their system.  I for one am tired of not having issues fixed.  I would love to never to have to be coming to these forums to see if what I am seeing as any issue is just my issue at my location or if others are also seeing them.  So far what I am seeing that I am not the only one seeing the problem.  I would love to see someone from comcast replying to what has been going on for a very long time.  But, I am not going to hold my breath.  I know most people do not openly complain and tend to live with issues, but I refuse to fall into that category.

konvajw

Contributor

 • 

24 Messages

1 y ago

Couple more comments from my standpoint.  I just upgraded to the super triple play package and thus Comcast had to send a tech out to install a new modem (to handle the gig internet / docsis 3.1).  

So I asked him about this problem as well.  First off, he said all of my signal levels look great - so just confirming what many others have said that it doesn't appear to be a signal strength issue.  The tech also said he hears about the problem from others and does experience the same thing personally (mostly in the evenings when demand is higher).  So in his opinion it's a demand/volume issue that gets addressed on the back end as necessary.  (I should have, but didn't ask him if that was regional, etc.).  Also I noticed a new STB version (105.1.1) with a release time of 11/12/19, so if there is something contributing to the issue on our STB side then hopefully that will help also.  We shall see.  

lesmikesell

Valued Contributor

 • 

527 Messages

1 y ago

The part that doesn't make much sense is why a system refresh on a slow box helps temporarily if the problem is the server capacity.   I wonder if the last box to (re)connect gets the first position in the queue, pushing everyone else back.

Cody21

Regular Contributor

 • 

158 Messages

1 y ago


@Rustyben wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Cody21 wrote:

And the suggestion that there is some sort of "over load" on the lines to our houses is crazy.  If that were the case, explain WHY things suddenly get better for a bit after a "SYSTEM REFRESH" ?????  Makes no sense.  I stand by my assertion that there's some sort of memory leak in the X1 box. ...  IMHO...  

But it doesn't make much sense that some boxes have it at different times either.   Several months ago I had the problem and just started sending a refresh from my phone app nightly before going to bed so I didn't have to wait for it to complete, but then the problem went away and hasn't come back.

 

I'd guess it was regional server capacity or upstream communication issues but don't see how the refresh fixes that.


the refresh checks for update upon reboot, clears memory that was in use, and installs a fresh copy of the operating system/control from the storage drive to the STB's ram. the hub has a DOCSIS modem and rebooting that causes each 'channel' it uses for data both up and down to be selected and tested during the initialization 


The part : "Clears Memory that was in use" is precisely my point.   If there is/was a MEMORY LEAK of some sort that just eats up available memory, THAT'S why a "REFRESH" would  fix the issue.  Seems to me that the COMCAST Techs should be able to identify THAT issue is in fact it is the case.

lesmikesell

Valued Contributor

 • 

527 Messages

1 y ago

@Cody21 wrote:

The part : "Clears Memory that was in use" is precisely my point.   If there is/was a MEMORY LEAK of some sort that just eats up available memory, THAT'S why a "REFRESH" would  fix the issue.  Seems to me that the COMCAST Techs should be able to identify THAT issue is in fact it is the case.

But that should affect everyone equally.  Which isn't the case - mine has not been slow for months.  Unless they give people in different areas different versions of the software.

Cody21

Regular Contributor

 • 

158 Messages

1 y ago


@lesmikesell wrote:
@Cody21 wrote:

The part : "Clears Memory that was in use" is precisely my point.   If there is/was a MEMORY LEAK of some sort that just eats up available memory, THAT'S why a "REFRESH" would  fix the issue.  Seems to me that the COMCAST Techs should be able to identify THAT issue is in fact it is the case.

But that should affect everyone equally.  Which isn't the case - mine has not been slow for months.  Unless they give people in different areas different versions of the software.


NOt what I meant - I'm referringto the MEMOORY on your local X1 Box ...  not at COMCAST's server(s).....   The REFRESH clears that local Memory on your X1 box - if I properly read the other poster's description of what happens on a X1 SYSTEM REFRESH.

lesmikesell

Valued Contributor

 • 

527 Messages

1 y ago


@Cody21 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

But that should affect everyone equally.  Which isn't the case - mine has not been slow for months.  Unless they give people in different areas different versions of the software.


NOt what I meant - I'm referringto the MEMOORY on your local X1 Box ...  not at COMCAST's server(s).....   The REFRESH clears that local Memory on your X1 box - if I properly read the other poster's description of what happens on a X1 SYSTEM REFRESH.


That is what I meant as well - as the part that doesn't make sense.   If we all run the same software, why are some systems, in some regions, having memory problems that need to be cleared while others never do?

collirob

Frequent Visitor

 • 

8 Messages

1 y ago

So as promised, I returned my newer X1 dvr (XG1v4-A,  AX014ANM) and replaced it with a one of the older X1 boxes (ARRIS AX013ANM) that I had been using for a long time.  So far, I have not experienced any of the slow responses experienced and discussed here.  I HAVE still seen various behaviors that are different than this dvr model was delivering a few weeks ago (ongoing software revs.?) but so far, I am happy to have backed up one rev.   I will let the forum know if I have any functional problems to contribute and I will be watching the comments to see when I might brave the newer XG1v4-A and try 4K video.  Xfinity had also scheduled me for a tecnician visit (to test signal quality) but once my replacement box was up a running again, I canceled that tech visit.   fwiw - I also had a long conversation with an Xfinity tech on the phone and he seemed to understand my issue. He looked up my reference to this forum as he "pushed" this issue up his internal technical tree.  He said that resolution (attention to?) these things are typically "months" out, in the best of cases.  So that reinforced my plan to retreat to older hardware for the time being.  I't been nice to have an Xfinity store in town ... which makes it easy to wander in for replacement hardware.    Good luck, ALL.  Thanks for this discussion (can you image how much more frustrating this would be without it)?  In the words of the dolphins - "Thanks for all the fish!"

New to the Community?

Start Here