B

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 17th, 2022 11:30 PM

Closed

recording NEW episodes only

I want to record only new episodes from the current season of a show (Chicago Fire, FWIW).  I have the DVR set to record new episodes only. However, some channel is scheduling and re-broadcasting old episodes from previous seasons, and my DVR is recording them as NEW. I have about 50 in my DVR!!

How can I stop the recording of the "new" old season episodes, but keep recording episodes from the new season?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

2 years ago

Find a scheduled recording on the main channel you want it recorded from the SCHEDULED screen. Highlight it, then choose "Record Options". then Modify, then All Episodes. This should show a screen with options. For Channel, if it says "HD Preferred", use left/right until it says "yourchannel Only". (yourchannel will be the name of your local NBC station.) Also verify it says "New episodes only".

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 years ago

Hello, @Brewerpaul. Thanks so much for your detailed message and feedback. Oh my goodness, 50 recordings! I can imagine your surprise. Let's work together towards a fix so we can ensure you're all set to record your favorites. One thing that might help is to start fresh and delete all recorded episodes from a series from your X1 Recording list. Can you please try these steps?

1) Using your remote select Saved from the Main Menu.

2) Select Scheduled to display a list of scheduled recordings. (During this step is where we want to take a closer look to see where those other recording are coming from)

3) Highlight the series to be deleted. Press the right arrow to highlight the x and press OK.

4) Select All future recordings and press OK.

This will make it so we'll start fresh and also give us more info as to where those other recordings had come from (step 2). Then, can you try setting it up once more? After it's reset go ahead and go through the steps to delete it again without finalizing the process, just to see if those extra recordings are showing. Please let us know if this helps!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityThomasA​ I am having the same Issue, I set it up to record new episodes only followed all you said. It still says Season 1 is new. This show is on Season 10. I have it set to only record on NBCHD and it will still record on USAHD. This is starting to get annoying as I have to Daily delete all the episodes to make room for my other scheduled programs.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I have scheduled DVR tapings of only new episodes of Chicago Fire, but my DVR has gone rogue and tapes like 17 episodes per week, similar to the complaints in this section. I did as the rep suggested (below) and the same is still occurring. It is also happening for the show Blackish (and it did the same for 911, thought the 911 season is done). I talked at length to a Comcast rep last week who said he would escalate this and I would receive a call back, but never received a follow up call.  

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

I truly apologize for the frustration the additional recording have caused. Just to clarify, have you already deleted the recordings and the rule to record with these steps:

1) Using your remote select Saved from the Main Menu.

2) Select Scheduled to display a list of scheduled recordings. (During this step is where we want to take a closer look to see where those other recording are coming from)

3) Highlight the series to be deleted. Press the right arrow to highlight the x and press OK.

4) Select All future recordings and press OK.

Then when you set up the recording again are you selecting new episodes only?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

2 years ago

As noted in my previous post, you need to limit the channel from "HD Preferred" to the main channel (ABC for black-ish for example.) I posted info about it in an earlier reply to this.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@andyross​ how do I do this? I don’t see any option other than HD preferred or SD preferred.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi, @mrkehn. I see @andyross explained their method earlier in the thread. Did you already give this a try? Have you also tried to set the recording manually? This link will break down the process: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am having the same problem. All the old reruns are recording as new.  They do not show the year in the air date (eg; the air date show 2/6 and not 2/6/2018), it is showing the last date that it aired and not the original air date and year.  I believe this is why they are being recorded as new episodes when they are not new. They are also not showing the series or episode numbers. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am having this problem as well with 911 and Chicago Fire. I have read through the comments and have tried everything and it is not working. This is very frustrating to have to keep deleting all these old recordings. Xfinity needs to fix this problem ASAP!  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

358 Messages

Hi! user_1e1a81 thank you for letting us know this is happening still and that none of the above steps help get this fixed for you. Is this happening on your main box or an additional box in the home?

I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum or work for Comcast. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

None of the steps are working Xfinity because all of these shows are airing as “new”. So when people record their shows and click “new” all the old shows are recording because on Comcast, where it says info on the guide ... EVERY EPISODE SAYS “NEW”. You guys need to fix this!!! 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am currently having the same problem as the above posts. I have removed and re-entered the Chicago Fire as my selected show to record. It is doing it on Young Shelton a well. I tried the above steps, only to find that I have the HD and SD as well as WQADM (which is NOT the channel or broadcasting channel for this show). When I switch it to SD or WQADM, the shows are NOT listed in the upcoming free listings, however when you return it back to HD, then ALL slots (new & reruns) are listed to be recorded. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_04a9bb​ Delete all of those shows, and stop recording. You probably have your shows set to record on any available channel, any time. Find a show you want on the channel you want. Schedule it to record and carefully check ALL the recording settings/options to  make sure you're not making an overall scheduling choice. We did that and finally got rid of all the unwanted recordings, although Xfinity sometimes pops a message that the show is being aired (on an unwanted channel). I just click 'DISMISS' and it goes away.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Yes ... Comcast somehow has all these old seasons of shows (911 - the show I watch) showing up as “new”. So when you go to DVR your new shows, it literally records EVERY SINGLE ONE because they are all saying that they are new when they are not. It’s super frustrating and it’s something THEY need to fix.... not a troubleshoot for the customer to attempt to maneuver through. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

@user_4ced5d​ Comcast gets their Guide data from a 3rd party. They get their data from the networks and stations. If the networks/stations give bad data, Comcast can't do anything about it. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got an X1 from using Tivo for many years and I have also encountered this same problem with Law & Order SVU. I solved it by doing what people said above - making sure to go to the new airing on Thursday night from NBC in the guide, press record, and change the channel to my local NBC only. That seemed to work.

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

I am so glad we were able to get you the help you needed! If you ever need anything else, we are here to help 24/7! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityJosephB This happens to me as well when I try to record SNL. Limiting the channel doesn't help because NBC plays a rerun from 10-11 pm ON THE SAME CHANNEL as the new SNL episode and it is marked as "new" in the description even though the word description clearly shows it is an old rerun episode. Is there no way to limit the recording to start only at the selected time? With Verizon (which we previously had), when scheduling a show, you could select "only episodes that air in this time slot" which was a simple work around to alleviate this problem. For example, it only recorded SNL episodes that aired at 11:30 pm even if others were falsely marked new at 10 pm. Can't Comcast add the same option to their DVR menu??

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

@user_7b6564​ I have the same SNL issue. Nothing can really be done about it. I just cancel that scheduled recording. Forcing a time limit could backfire if a show moved to a new date or time 

Official Employee

• 

292 Messages

Hello, @user_7b6564, thank you so much for sharing that information with me and for the feedback on how we can improve the staging portion of the recording. There is a way to modify the recording after the recording has been set up, if you click on this link Changing Your Cloud-Based DVR Recording Options with the Xfinity Stream App - Xfinity Support it will go over the process of how to modify a recording, specifically the start and end times of the recording. :) 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityNicki​ yes I know how to change the start end times. What I'm saying is that the DVR is recording episodes it THINKS are new when they are not. I was suggesting that if we can set the DVR to "only record new episodes that start at a specific time time" it would eliminate the reruns being recorded when the DVR incorrectly thinks they are new. SNL famously always airs at 11:30 pm so the DVR shouldn't think any episodes outside of that time slot are new. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Yes, you should be able to set the recordings to only play new episodes on a specific network. You should be able to find instructions on how to do that in the link provided. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ the problem is the real new episodes and the mislabeled "new" episodes are on the same channel so limiting the channel does not fix the problem 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here