Chuck2's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, November 12th, 2023 7:03 PM

Closed

Pairing Xfinity XR-15 Voice Remote with TCL Roku TV

We have a new TCL Roku TV which is a second TV for our home.  Prior to purchase we contacted Xfinity and explained that we wanted to run a second TV on our service.  Xfinity sent a new box and remote.  The TV and TCL remote are working fine, and the box must be working since the TV connects to our Wifi.  However, we are unable to pair the remote with the new TV...so we are unable to watch regular cable channels, only streaming.  There is a message on the screen stating "Remote not working? Try moving closer to the box, make sure the remote is pointed directly at the box, ... etc."  We've tried every fix we can find through multiple help forums, and just spent half an hour on the phone with Xfinity, pretty much running through all of the fixes we had already tried. The remote batteries appear to be okay; various combinations of red, green, and blue lights do flash as expected when running through various pairing methods. None of the recommended methods have worked so far.  One thing that DID happen when working through attempts with the help desk, was that at one point, a message appeared on our OTHER TV screen with the code to enter to pair our remote.  Of course there was no place on the new TV screen to enter that code since the "Remote not working?" message was still there, and we certainly don't want to pair the new remote with the old TV.  The person at the help desk finally suggested that we bring the new box and remote back to our local Xfinity store and explain what is happening.  Before we do that, are we missing something here?  

1 Message

6 months ago

i have exact same problem.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Your first step will be to:

Factory Reset the Xfinity Voice Remote Without a Setup Button (XR15)

Press and hold the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons at the same time for three seconds until the status light changes from red to green.

Press 9-8-1.

The LED will blink blue three times to indicate that the remote was reset.

Then follow this guide with your remote and tv xfinity.com/remote

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

No the tv just show the box's is searching for codes..

Contributor

• 

264 Messages

6 months ago

First, see if your other remote will get you past that first screen.  I've run into this problem a couple of times and used a Harmony remote to respond to the first screen, then was able to proceed with pairing the Xfinity remote. 

Also, have you done the factory reset on the remote?  From the Xfinity site:

Factory Reset the Xfinity Voice Remote Without a Setup Button (XR15)

Press and hold the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons at the same time for three seconds until the status light changes from red to green.

Press 9-8-1.

The LED will blink blue three times to indicate that the remote was reset.

The factory reset unpairs your remote and TV Box, so you'll need to re-pair them. (The TV Box needs to be activated prior to re-pairing.) See instructions for pairing your Xfinity remote and TV Box.

(edited)

3 Messages

6 months ago

Your question is a little confusing to me with comment ‘cannot watch cable channels’. You may have two issues. Firstly as an IT tech for 36 years recommend asking Xfinity support for a supervisor or next level. The first level reps are just running through scripts and frequently don’t have critical thinking skills. This is especially helpful when speaking with someone from a foreign country who may not have a full grasp of American English or whatever country you may be in. For pairing, this only provides basic power, volume, channel controls to the Xfinity Remote for controlling the TCL TV. There are two methods of doing this. Clicking the Xfinity button on the remote should bring up the Xfinity menu. Go to settings far right, remote settings, voice remote pairing. Run through the auto script. If after selecting TCL for tv model and the first operation does not work there should be a prompt to check again, this runs through other codes for that model automatically. The second method is manually setting it up with the TCL/Xfinity codes provided. This requires pressing setup and a few buttons on the remote quickly going through the codes until one of them works. Xfinity has a website that is easy to understand that runs through the procedures with the specific remote. Just browse for ‘Program Your TV Remote and Get Remote Codes’. Xfinity’s portal should be the first hit. To access Comcast cable channels from pretty much any TV the ‘INPUT’ has to be correctly selected on the TV using the TV’s remote. Unless you set the TV to automatically start on a specific input for Comcast it won’t do that and you may just get the Roku menu. See which input the Xfinity box was connected to, usually HDMI. If it is in position #1 just click the TCL remote’s input mode and select HDMI #1. It will transfer video/audio being transmitted by the Comcast box. From there you can do the Xfinity menus for remote pairing etc. The TCL should have a setting within to automatically startup on HDMI #1 if that is where Xfinity is. Once set you will need to press the menu or home button on the TCL to get to the TCL Smart TV menu. Hope that helps.  

Contributor

• 

264 Messages

Well, his problem is that he can't get the new remote to pair with the X1 box.  So, he can't do any of those steps. 

As for Xfinity support, for many years I could get to tier 2 on issues beyond the knowledge of the first level people.  That's no longer possible.   They simply will not kick anything up a level. 

1 Message

4 months ago

I recently had a firmware update on a TCL Roku TV.  I had to search for this information as well because the xfinity stored codes no longer work.  To program just the TV portion of the X15-style remote, hold down mute and the xfinity button until red light turns green [5 sec], then enter 12049.  If you have a different style remote, check for instructions to input a manual code.

Also, in your Roku menu, you can set a default input [such as live tv] if that's primarily what you view instead of launching to the home screen every time it's turned on.

Credit to wherever I found that code, but it saved me this morning.

1 Message

12049 worked for me after my box/remote pairing stalled out twice. Hey, Xfinity, you need to add this code to your list of TCL codes. 

1 Message

I have recently bought 2 TCLs 65" and 98"...both xfinity remotes work using a Toshiba code 10156 or 11156

1 Message

@m55d​ you’re awesome that worked

Official Employee

• 

897 Messages

Hey @user_l7x8ax,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Community Forums support page. I am glad to see that @m55d was able to find out that some of the other manufacturer codes are working for the other brand of televisions. If you need any additional assistance, please let us know.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

@m55d​ 

omg I seriously cannot thank you enough. I haven’t been able to control my TCL for so many months, but I tried that first Toshiba code and it works!!!!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here