Bertalot87's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, June 6th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

Major pixelation on some channels

Hey all,

We recently moved from an apartment to a house and we transferred our services (TV and Internet) over to the house. We opted to keep our current equipment and just activate it once we moved. That was two weeks ago. The past two weeks we've been having major issues with our TV with certain channels being super pixelated and skippy. It happens at times with live TV but we really notice it on DVR recordings(not all though). Of course we watch a lot of DVR stuff because we're pretty busy so we don't have much time to watch a lot of live TV. We notice that our shows on Discovery channel are infamous for having this issue. Our internet has been solid from the start. We have checked all connections, have even bought new RG6 heavy duty coax cables, bought new HDMI cables, and tried changing video settings to a lower quality on the X1 boxes but nothing helped so far. We even had a Comcast tech out a few days ago to check our lines outside due to this issue and to drop off a new X1 box that replaced a X1 box that continuously errored out making it useless (it was not the main DVR box). Regardless of what X1 box we try to watch the DVR recordings on, it's the same issue. We tried test watching some DVR recordings on the Xfinity Stream app on our smartphones and the recording playback is perfectly fine on there. This theoretically means it seems to be tied to a main box issue or a line issue. There is a main line that comes into the house which hits a 8 port splitter. The splitter is a better quality one (or so we believe) and is newer. The splitter is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIGACBU/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_c8g3EbV04RM3S

For the few (2-3) unused splitter ports, we bought some line terminator caps to help prevent signal loss. They are these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VWHX2FS/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_g.g3EbCMRN31K

With the COVID-19 stuff going on right now, a tech can't come in the house and check the signals of each line so that isn't great news for this issue because it's hard to isolate the issue without knowing the SNR of each line.

Here is an example of the issue from a very recent DVR recording from Discovery channel:

https://youtu.be/m1SvViY4MCY

Based on the details here, do you have any recommendations on what to try until a tech can come in and check lines? They won't let techs come into a house right now unless your service is completely out. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

How many cable outlets are you actually using? Gold splitters like what you posted are not good quality and probably the source of your problem. Replace it with a splitter with the amount of ports you’re using or an amp like the one pictured

1 Attachment

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I think 6. I'll see what I can find splitter wise and go from there. I'll report back. Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The amp pictured above but the 9 port version is a better fit

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Bought a Extreme brand 4-port splitter locally to see if it fixes the issue. I connected 3 of the main tv boxes and the cable modem so it'll be a good test over the next few days. If that works, I'll have to figure out how to incorporate the other few not used frequently lines. Will report back. Thanks.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Did you ever get a solution to your problem? The pixelation on my Discovery recording last night was so bad I almost couldn't watch it.  I find it really hard to believe that having a bad connection would cause only ONE channel to pixelate.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Suggestions were for things you CAN try on your own before getting a tech out to save you time, you don’t HAVE to do anything if you don’t want to.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Actually for us it is all channels on all 9 boxes and we've chatted 3 times been put on hold 2 times and told to go to the xfinity store twice.  It's still not fixed and as usual even x comcast employees seem to think it is something we have to fix ourselves.  Covid or not as always you comcast guys' lack of service and concern is apalling.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Can you please let me know if this fixed your issue? I'm having same issue had a Comcast tech come out, they said line to house was like 30 years old and problem so replaced it. I do think that was part of problem as didn't happen again for.several days however it's happening again just not as often. Enough to make me not want to watch channels it's doing it on though. If you would let me know if this solved your problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same thing is happening to us. Certain channels pixelating often. Called Comcast. Technician came to the house. Said he replaced a corroded connector. For a few days it was better but then it started up again. 

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Hello @tathiede and all forum members in this thread. We appreciate you taking the time to make this comment and letting us know of the service issues you are running into. It is definitely not good to hear you are running into issues again even after a technician came out. We'd love to take a deeper look into this for you to see what caused this issue to come back for you. Can you please send 'Xfinity Support' a private message using our peer-to-peer chat service by clicking on the chat icon in the top right corner of the page? Once you hit that chat icon, you'll be able to initiate a new chat with 'Xfinity Support', so please just send us your full name and we can continue helping out there. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you. This has answered many questions I've had regarding our pixelations on the local network channels and terrible DVR recordings. I've even taken videos of the playback pixelations. My ROKU's or streaming on iPad have absolutely no issues! I will call Comcast to replace the cable to the house!

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

Hello, @wwliterski. Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post about the reception issues you've been experiencing; I know that issues like this can be really frustrating!

Did you end up giving customer service a call? If not, and if you're still having this issue, we can help you right here in the forum private chat. Replacing the outside line is not always the resolution to this problem, so I will love to start with troubleshooting and see if we can resolve the pixelation remotely.

For further assistance, please send a private message with your first and last name to "Xfinity Support", after clicking on the Peer to Peer chat icon at the top right of the page.

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here