chriss1563's profile

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, March 28th, 2024 5:38 PM

Known Pixilation Problem for 3 Months and Still Not Fixed

I am at my wits end here. I have had the known image pixilation issue for 3 months ever since their technician replaced the (exposed to the elements) coupling outside the house with a new coupling sealed in a grey box branded Xfinity. It starts where we would watch something and then the image starts to pixilate slightly at first until it pixilates severely until the picture freezes. Then an error message comes on and that blanks out our other two boxes on the TVs in the other rooms. We called Xfinity support, and their tech came out and swapped out our grey DVR Xfinity 4k with the previous black Xfinity 1080i box that we had before we subscribed to the Xfinity 4K format. I didn’t want that because I purchased a 4K tv and that box didn’t support 4K. So, I called them back and they agreed to exchange the box back to a grey 4k box. I changed it back and it was good for about a week. Then it started again. And again, I called tech support, did all the system refreshes and restart. And it was ok the rest of the day. The next day I woke up to watch the local news about 530am and the other box showed the error and no image again. I logged into my Xfinity account and did the refreshes, and reboots. But it would not come back.  So another tech came out.  I was at work at the time so whatever he did was fixed again for about a day. The next day, the same thing. Again, they had another tech come out and this guy wiggled the cable to the DVR box and the picture came back. He blamed it that the input cable to the box was coiled up in a loop and wire tied. He proceeded to remove some excess cable and splice a new connector to it. This time it was good for about three days and then over Sunday night – Monday morning it was back to no picture again. This time is the last straw. I am going to request that they replace all the cabling including the coupling from the grey box to my DVR. If it costs me extra, fine. I want it fixed! But like other chat posts, I too am paying over $300 for internet, phone, and cable TV – I don’t even need or use the phone so that is money wasted. All I get is robocalls on the [Edited: Language"] thing. However, I am very delighted with the internet which I receive about 99.9% uptime. I had scheduled a tech to come today, and I want to report back so everyone can see just how their tech support fixes the problem.

6 months ago

Do you currently use Xfinity's modem/gateway? I am asking, because I had a Motorola M8611, which is not Xfinity provided/customer owned, up until last week when I purchased and installed one of Xfinity's next gen speed approved modem's, the Hitron CODA 56. As soon as the new modem was installed, I began to have pixelation randomly on every channel being watched. This carries through to the recordings on the DVR as well. I have talked to the Xfinity technical support folks over the phone and just had a technician out to my home. I gave the run down on the chain of events and the techs on the phone scheduled the tech to come out. He said he thought it was my 4k Cable Box, but that he didn't have one on the truck, so I'd have to either go to the store or have it mailed to me. So, we checked everything inside and outside of the house just to be sure. Signal into the house and through the lines nearly perfect. Minimal noise. Again, in the words of the tech, looks great and not my issue. Only 2 splitters in the whole house. One that connects my moca adapter from my modem and the other is to distribute the signal out to the 4 coax outlets in the home. They are not the issue. They were tested. All of the connections checked to make sure they were properly tightened. I add all of this detail to say, we get toward the time that the tech was positive it was my cable box and was about to grab a replacement, not 4k, for the interim between when a new 4k could be sent or picked up out of the truck and I said how coincidental it was that the new modem went in and the cable signal started having the pixelation issues. Tech says well let's run a test. Unplug the modem and let's see what happens. I do and NO pixelation! 10 minutes we watch while modem is unplugged and not one tile or sound glitch. Plug it back in and pixelation resumed almost immediately. Tech's recommendation was go back to my Motorola. Sure, I could, but the CODA 56 is an Xfinity recommended and approved modem for their next gen speeds. One of 5 (I believe), that Xfinity allows for the next gen upload speed I am paying for to be attained. Oh and three of the other 4 are at or above $600 to purchase. The last of the 5 is an older version of the modem I am currently using with the pixelation issues. So, I begin to research and Xfinity has a number of forum posts on this site that are of customers having similar issues. Now for the rub...most of those posts are from customers with the Xfinity gateways! Like the XB6, XB7 AND the XB8. The "solution" by the tech when he sees issues and recommended in the forum posts is to replace the modem. There are 2 other "solutions" which have worked. The first, I will be attempting this evening and can provide a follow up about later, which is to move the modem or gateway to another open connection point. This has worked for other customers when dealing with the same issue. The other is to call Xfinity or go to a store and tell them to switch you to "All IP". Would require different equipment, but has also solved the issue. It appears that Xfinity is aware of this, but has no good answer as to what is causing it...or at least that I have found or was told by the techs I have spoken to. Sorry for the length of my post and that you too are having issues. We pay too much and it's far too annoying to be dealing with having picture/sound issues without being able to get the problem resolved.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @JustWantItToWork,

Thank you for visiting out official Xfinity Community Forums support page. I would like to see if we can help with the picture quality issues you are experiencing. It is very interesting how the issue only takes place while the modem is connected. This could be from a variety of issues. Have you attempted to see if you can swap the device for a replacement to see if the modem may just have an issue?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here