1st Kudo
1st Best Answer
1st Reply

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 4:00 AM

Dolby 5.1 surround sound

I have been a xfinity customer for about 5 years, moving from another area and cable company.  One thing that has bothered me for some time is the audio feed from most if not all channels. It really came to light when I tried the free trial of sling tv last night.  I was watching a version of the show chopped on sling tv. I could hear things in all of my 5.1 speakers... things rattling in the background, more like you should experience.  I have never heard this on the xfinity version. Things like sporting events are not the same, I used to hear crowd noise from my speakers, more like you expect from a surround system.  

I have the hdmi output from my xfinity 4k box going to a hdmi splitter, then that goes to my LG oled tv, and that feeds my 5.1 receiver with an optical cable.  

Is xfinity broadcasting things without this audio ?  I recently just set my xfinity receiver to expert mode with the audio output, not noticed anything really different.. 

Thanks.

Responses

Accepted Solution

prh7270

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 m ago

I seem to have narrowed down the problem.  It seems to be the hdmi extender I am using.  I have the Xfinity receiver plugged into the extender,  then the extender into the tv.  If I plug it directly into the tv, the sound works fine.  So, it's my setup.  Thanks for the help. 

Official Employee

• 

6.7K Messages

2 m ago

Hello prh7270. Thanks for creating a new post on our Forum about Surround Sound. We do have a recent thread with dialog featuring the same surround sound questions you have. You can the thread here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Re-Not-all-HD-channels-giving-me-5-1-surround-sound/td-p/3301540

For a complete setup guide to setup your home theater for surround sound, please visit: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/troubleshoot-home-theater-receivers

Note: Not all Dolby Digital® programs feature full 5.1 surround sound. In some cases, the programs may only contain left and right stereo audio.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
prh7270

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 m ago

So... yesterday I tried a little experiment.. I used netflix inside the xfinity system.. My receiver only picked up standard PCM stereo sound on a program I know broadcasts in dolby surround sound. I then went to netflix on my amazon firestick that is plugged directly into the tv.. and the receiver picked up dolby surround.. The only thing I can get out of my xfinity box is pcm stereo..

Official Employee

• 

225 Messages

2 m ago

Hello, and thanks for using Xfinity Forums. I appreciate you reaching out with these concerns. I would like to look further into this to see what I can find regarding the audio for your specific box. Please send me a private message and include your first and last so I can assist you. To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAbbie” and click “Send a message"

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

63 Messages

2 m ago

Thank you @prh7270 for letting us know you were able to narrow down the issue and were able to resolve the issue at hand with your sound. Please let us know if anything else ever comes up. We are always here and happy to help you 24/7 365. Take care! 

New to the Community?

Start Here