jamakkr's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, March 6th, 2022 3:23 PM

Closed

Does the main box have to be connected to a TV to use wireless boxes?

We want to move our TV across the room but that puts it on the opposite wall from the wall connection for the coax cable.  We're thinking a wireless box could be the solution. First question is, can our main box that is connected to the coax outlet still do its job without being connected to a TV?  It's a DVR box but I understand the wireless boxes are not.  Am I to assume if we use this configuaration, we won't be able to watch DVR on the TV?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @jamakkr. I hope you're having an incredible day so far. I also would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to help answer your questions regarding our wireless cable boxes.

To answer your first question, the Wireless TV Box acts as a wired box when utilizing standard TV Box features, such as Live Broadcast, Video on Demand, Pay Per View and Guide. Internet apps, such as Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, will continue to count toward your data usage.

With that being said, the box won't act as a DVR. It requires at least one additional X1 TV Box to act as the primary X1 device on your account. Do you have another cable box registered to your account?

Please visit this link to learn more about our wireless cable boxes https://comca.st/3sTmRlw

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityRaul​ I do have a primary box.  The wireless box would be additional to use with a TV across the room from where the coax connection is in the wall. My thoughts are to keep the primary box plugged in and attached via coax to the wall, but there would not be a TV connected to the primary box.  The primary box has DVR. My questions are, with my proposed configuration, 1) will it work with no TV connected to the primary box and b) will I be able to DVR from the TV connected to the wirelss box, which will be in the same room as the Primary Box.

Official Employee

• 

923 Messages

If I am understand correctly, the first main box that is connected via a coax cable needs to be connected to a TV and turned on for it to work as expected. Then for the following box it doesn't have to be connected to a coax outlet if it's wireless but it would need to be connected to a TV as well. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Our furniture wouldn't cooperate in the space, so we ended up not going with the proposed configuration.  We did find that the wireless did work as expected even with the main box not connected to a TV.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@jamakkr​ so you didn’t need two boxes? I want to use only 1 wireless box. Any idea if this is possible? No other boxes in house, just the high powered wireless router. 

Problem Solver

• 

411 Messages

@user_4e9395 You would need a technician to make that determination to ensure that the space is compatible with a wireless box as your primary box. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here