RolloTomasi's profile

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 4:00 PM

Closed

Connect new Xi6-a to my own my own router?

Multiple Xfinity customer service representatives have confirmed that I can use my new wireless boxes with my own router and Wi-Fi network. However I can’t seem to figure out how to connect it manually to my network.

Upon set up, it just wants to automatically connect to my xFi gateway, which I do not own.

Please help. These are two brand new boxes.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@RolloTomasi wrote:
Multiple Xfinity customer service representatives have confirmed that I can use my new wireless boxes with my own router and Wi-Fi network. However I can’t seem to figure out how to connect it manually to my network.

Upon set up, it just wants to automatically connect to my xFi gateway, which I do not own.

there should be a wifi set up button to push on the xi6. If I recall, you press it for 2-3 seconds and the screen shows the available SSID and allows you to select and enter password. note that the xi6 in that mode will operate as a Roku or Amazon Fire device using TVIP only and will have no communication possible to your in-home DVR (if any). the device may often still try to communicated via MoCA-over-wifi-etherent method and give an error. 

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

@RolloTomasi wrote:

there should be a wifi set up button to push on the xi6. If I recall, you press it for 2-3 seconds and the screen shows the available SSID and allows you to select and enter password. note that the xi6 in that mode will operate as a Roku or Amazon Fire device using TVIP only and will have no communication possible to your in-home DVR (if any). the device may often still try to communicated via MoCA-over-wifi-etherent method and give an error. 

Thank you.  it works now.  Do these boxes use my xifinity internet connection for it's broadcasting, and if so, will that count toward my monthly data usage?  Or does it pull from my main cable box?  It must communicate with the main box somehow, as it asked to verify the last 4 digits of my phone number associated with my account.

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

I actually got it work. Pressed the WPS button, waited 2 minutes then opted to choose a manual setup.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@RolloTomasi wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@RolloTomasi wrote:

Thank you.  it works now.  Do these boxes use my xifinity internet connection for it's broadcasting, and if so, will that count toward my monthly data usage?  Or does it pull from my main cable box?  It must communicate with the main box somehow, as it asked to verify the last 4 digits of my phone number associated with my account.

the last 4 digits is for security that proper person is activating. The data cap does not apply to numbered channels, on-demand,  and watching recordings. data cap does apply to the internet apps like youtube, netflix, pandora, Peacock, etc.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You were misinformed, it may work but not to it’s full extent
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-tv-box-faqs

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

If you used a Comcast gateway, the main box would communicate. Not when you use your own modem, that’s the part of working the way it’s supposed to I was referring to.

1 Message

4 years ago

CCAndrew:

I tried to cut the cord but now it looks like I need to get X1. I have an Arris SVG2482AC modem working in bridge mode with an Orbi Mesh (RBK750) setup. Will the new Xi6 box work with this setup?

Bill 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

it will, but see notes about it on the accepted solution for this post.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here