jak76's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 2nd, 2021 5:55 PM

Closed

Closed Captioning -- How to Enlarge it??

Until February of this year, I’ve had plain old ‘cable tv’ – no boxes, no complications, and very old CRT TV’s. (Hey, it all worked great!) Unfortunately, we were forced to switch to digital & cable boxes, and it has been a hassle, to say the least. But the problem I’m most concerned about is this:

I finally decided it was time to upgrade my television sets, and recently purchased a LG 32" Smart LED TV. I am hearing impaired, so when I set up the new TV, the first thing I did was try to initiate closed-captioning. I went through all the recommended steps, and still had no closed-captioning.

I wrote to LG, and received an honest, informative, and very worrying response: “In response to your inquiry, please be advised that the closed caption that's set in your cable box can only be modified through the settings of the box using its dedicated remote control. The only time the you may control the closed caption using the TV settings and TV remote is when you are using antenna or antenna cable.”

SOOOOO ... does anyone know if this is true with ALL the newer TV’s? Or if there's ANY way to make the Closed Captioning through the Comcast Cable Box any larger than what I'm getting now? 

Closed-captioning is imperative for me, and that which is generated by my cable box is barely large enough to read at more than 2 ft. away, even though I have it set at 'large'. It is, therefore, useless.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you,

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for sharing that information and the link @andyross! That is a great resource on how to enable Closed Captioning on your X1 TV box.

@jak76, we have a small, medium, and large settings to adjust the text size of the Closed Captioning on screen (which can be adjusted by hitting the Xfinity button on your remote and going to the Settings> Accessibility Settings> Closed Captioning options). If the font size display on screen is already set to large, then that would be the largest font setting available on our box. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns we can help out with.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

4 years ago

If you do have X1, go to settings (gear icon), Accessibility Settings, Closed Captioning Options. You can also turn CC on and off by pressing the "B" key twice.

More info in the link:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-closed-captioning

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

hey there -- having worked with cc for my parents - i find that counter-intuitively, if you have closed captions on your cable box as well as your tv, it actually makes the captions laughably small, i think because there is a conflict. i actually turned off the captions for the cable box and used the tvs, and that seems to have helped alot - though to me the large could be at least twice as large as it is, but that's as big as the captions get.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here