cario's profile

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Sunday, May 6th, 2018 12:00 PM

Closed

can no longer set t v to go off after 1 hour under the power saver / preferences/ device setting

I no longer have an option for T.V. to go off after 1 hour with the power saver option.

All I see now is this:

"Power saver - on'

" Conserve energy by setting your T.V. box to power down when you're not watching."

Have had it set to power off automatically after 1 hour of non activity.

Woke up in the middle of the night and T.V. was still on after 4 hours.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@smithclarksmith wrote:

The selection to change this was removed several weeks ago. Everynight the x1 rests by itself and updates to the latest sw (by design) and the setting reverts to 4 hours. If you press info after it powers back up, you can change to 1 hour. It will only stay at 1 hour until it resets overnight. It is so frustrating how simple features like this are broken everytime new software is released.  Not sure how the software is validated,  but I am a software manager and if I did this I would have serious consequences.  I could understand if this happened once, not every software release. Another thing that broke is the guide. You can only highlight the 3rd line. If you scroll up or down the whole guide moves. I swear the guide behavior changes with every release. The guide should only change when you reach the top or bottom and then it should scroll all 4 lines at once. That is how every other guide I have used works. I could keep complaining about bugs, but my x1 box just locked up and I need to reset it:)

several of my TVs offer a timer to auto-shutoff. Hope you find one in your TV menu.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

SmithClarkSmith- Thanks for your input. Yes i've found that to be true about having to reset it every time to get the 1 hour option. I think Xfinity should should get rid of those options altogether and just have the 4 hour and be done with it!

My T.V. remote does have a sleep mode so yes.. i have been using that at sleep time. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

DITTO!...

Comcast has removed the "Power Saver Starts After:" setting... they think they know what's best, instead of asking US... the USERS.

(though they inadvertantly left the "example settings screen" graphic in the software that HAD the option... "A" button, "Tips & Tricks", "Settings", "Go Green")

I've always had mine set to one or two hours, so that if I walk away and get busy doing something else (or... lets face it... if I fall asleep), the "lack of human interaction" caused the STB to go into Power Saver mode... removing HDMI activity... which then turned off my projector or TV (depending on which room I was using)... saving a LOT more energy than "just" the X1 box itself.

Now, it NEVER goes into Power Saver mode... even after 8 hours.

If all that they are looking for is pushing buttons on the Remote, then it's totally failing.  If, on the other hand, it's looking for a "lack of HDMI handshaking" to determine if the User has "gone away", then they need to consider that MANY users have an HDMI switcher for variosu reasons, and the HDMI switcher will always "handshake" regardless of whether the display device is turned ON or not.

Put it back like it was!... please!

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Yes! put it back to how it was. I agree. 

I don't like the preachy message Xfinity gives when you go to the power saver area about how much energy we can save in a year if we use the power saver bla bla.

If they really want us to save energy, why make it set to go off after 4 hours ?( Or 8 hours in your case.)

I can still set mine to go off after an hour but it takes work and i have to reset it every dang time.

Or if i want to save power right now, i have to click and go through 18-20 steps to do it. 

Seems counterproductive.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

So tired of Comcast screwing up features so many of us liked. Change power saver back to the way it was. Where should I go to voice that opinion where it might get some attention?

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Not sure where you can voice your opionion to them. Although I know sometimes I get a " how're we doing" type survey from them and I let em have it!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

So annoying. I'm in same boat. Hope they put it back like it was!

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I'll set it to go off at 2 hrs and go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 6-7am and it'll still be on. My tv will be off but the box is still on and running. This isn't "saving me power"!!! It really irritating. I just want every thing to shut off after an hour or 2. Again I'll push the 2hr option but doesn't even do anything, just stays on the 4 hr but stays on more like 10 hours. Ughhh!!!

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

My TV will shut off on it's own but can set a sleep timer to go off sooner too

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

They removed the ability to change the power settings many months ago. There does not seem to be any good reason why. It is very annoyed. 

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I 100% agree that it's annoying and costing us all money since the box doesn't turn off with the remote. I have to either go to settings or manually shut it off every time. If they disabled the power choices then they should remove the option.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

What made you say that old options we all have been wanting restored are back out there? Don’t see them in my device options.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

They have not returned. You cannot set anything other than off or on. You cannot set duration.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

Dec 14 2018 update from me.

We no longer can do any set hours options for box to turn off. This happened about 1.2 weeks ago for me.

So I have to turn off the power - can't choose 1, 4 etc hours.

That's fine but I'm tired of seeing the little paragraph lecture on how we could save xxx hours of power etc if we turn off the box. Why did they take away our choices?

That's corporate for ya!! ha ha

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

This feature use to work. Over the last year or so, they have crippled this feature. I have yet to find a complaint about the feature when it worked. Why remove somethign that the consumer wants and uses? Somehow I don't think Comcast listens to its users.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here