cario's profile

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Sunday, May 6th, 2018 12:00 PM

Closed

can no longer set t v to go off after 1 hour under the power saver / preferences/ device setting

I no longer have an option for T.V. to go off after 1 hour with the power saver option.

All I see now is this:

"Power saver - on'

" Conserve energy by setting your T.V. box to power down when you're not watching."

Have had it set to power off automatically after 1 hour of non activity.

Woke up in the middle of the night and T.V. was still on after 4 hours.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

It's about 6 yrs old I think

. I think i'ts O.K. now.

After It went off after 4 hours 1 day, and I turned T.V. back on, the caption read" you saved 4 hours energy... bla bla.

And to the right of it there was  " info" . I clicked on it and it showed me something about power preferences.

When I clicked on THAT, it gave me the choice of power saving after 1 or 4 hours.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

UPDATE .....

It reverted back to 4 hours for the power saver. I called comcast and explained. They said it reverted to 4 hour only in Nov 2017. Hmmmm . That's interesting since I just started having this problem in May 2018.

I did a test. I shut off T.V. using " all power" button. Waited 10 mins. Turned it back on etc. There was the usual caption that I'd saved 10 mins of power etc.

And AGAIN I clicked on the info button to the right of that caption.

I got the choice of having the power go off after 1 hour or 4 hours again.

so far it's working for the 1 hour option.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

I'm not sure Redbone12. I keep testing to see if it really does shut off after 1 hour by going to power saver and shutting it down .

Then I wait 5 mins, turn T.V. back on and start all over again.And it works but I get the feeling they are trying to phase the 1 hour choice out.  

I use the 1 hour shutoff feature mostly when i go to sleep at night. That's when I turn on a music channel really low and fall asleep to it. 

Good luck to you!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Same thing happened to me so I followed your instructions and was able to set it back to 1 hour but the next day it again reverted back to 4 hours.   any ideas on what can be done from here?

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Hope you can get a better answer than I did! Please let me know what happens!!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your help Cario!   I will use the info you gave me to see if it works.   So far Xfinity has been unable to help me.

Will update later.   thks again!

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

RobertWY- thanks for the link .... I just now saw it... 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Redbone--- I just now saw on a post above from RobertWY that  they are phasing out the 1 hour option ( as I feared).

See his link ..

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Redbone- you are saying what I've been thinking but too chicken to say out loud.

NO CLUE!! ha ha Some agents are knowledgeable and some aren't.

Wish i could cut the cord completely .... Am thinking about just keeping internet service as there is no one else who offers it where I live .

GAH!! I'm a gosh darn T.V. addict... ha ha

Hey- venting is good for the soul... No apologies necessary.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Ok, thanks!

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Redbone- Yeah the agent on the phone said it changed nov 2017 but I am experiencing the same as yourself.

What's the deal? 

Oh well.... 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Actually I have given up on Xfinity.   I have called them 3 times and once on a chat line and they have NO CLUE.  Telling me things like my tv may be old (which it isn't) and to call my tv manufacturer etc.    They wanted to send out a technician to my house and I told them nothing is broken and all connections are tight.    I ended up telling them to just forget about it and I will try and figure this out myself.   All I know is someone at Xfinity made a change to the power saver functions and never informed the proper people within their company in case people like you and me and I am sure many others who might inquire as to what happened and why.    This is getting quite frustrating and although its not really a big deal its the principal.

Sorry for the venting but I will continue the hunt for answers.     Will update you with any info I can get.    Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Cario....I read the link but that was effective Nov of 17.    I have been using the 1 hour function since mid March of this year.

Am I missing something here?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Cario....If I ever get to the bottom of this I will let you know.   Thanks for your help!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

The selection to change this was removed several weeks ago. Everynight the x1 rests by itself and updates to the latest sw (by design) and the setting reverts to 4 hours. If you press info after it powers back up, you can change to 1 hour. It will only stay at 1 hour until it resets overnight. It is so frustrating how simple features like this are broken everytime new software is released.  Not sure how the software is validated,  but I am a software manager and if I did this I would have serious consequences.  I could understand if this happened once, not every software release. Another thing that broke is the guide. You can only highlight the 3rd line. If you scroll up or down the whole guide moves. I swear the guide behavior changes with every release. The guide should only change when you reach the top or bottom and then it should scroll all 4 lines at once. That is how every other guide I have used works. I could keep complaining about bugs, but my x1 box just locked up and I need to reset it:)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here