glboater's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, October 3rd, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

4K picture quality vs Regular broadcast channel

I have a Samsung 4K UHD TV with the X-1 4K box and the picture on the 4K channel is washed out and void of any real color compared to the regular broadcast channel. This happens to be a FOX broadcast but it happens when NBC or anyone else is broadcasting. The regular broadcast channel is always a better overall picture. 

See pictures attached.   These were quick photos because I wanted to try and get the same shot. The difference is actually glaring. 

Anyone else having these issues?

Thanks

2 Attachments

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

4 years ago

Hello, glboater!

There could be a few reasons for the differing quality you are seeing. Usually, it's just due to the quality of broadcast that the network is putting out. Another option could be if your TV happens to have various settings for 4K. Try checking to see what options are available, it would probably be something about contrast. Let me know what you find! 🙂

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

BTW, when the NLCS worked in 4k, PHENOMENAL picture quality. Wish it would work though.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same issue. When watching NLCS baseball game on Fox, the box informs me the game is in 4k, press info takes me to the 4k channel. 90% of the time, the picture on the 4k channel is dull and worse than HD. I did get it to work today and didn't change channel for fear that it would revert to dull color. After 8 innings, I changed to the ALCS game on TBS, just HD and the picture looked over saturated. Went back to 4k NLCS game and back to dull color. ALCS on TBS though back to normal HD quality, not over saturated. Seems like a signal issue with the xfinity box.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

Adding to this thread-- same experience for me looking at the World Series. Fox looks good on its regular HD channel. The 4K stream quality is poor-- mostly due to the muted, washed out color. The audio is also poor (I have a 5.1 surround setup.) As a regular user of premium UHD netflix and prime video 4K HDR content on the Xfinity 4K-capable box, I am really surprised the World Series stream is so bad that I am actually sticking with the "regular" HD channel. 

I also have a Roku Streaming Stick+ which does 4K, but it just can't handle the Fox Sports app's 4K stream-- too jittery. (The color, however, was very vibrant when I checked it out.)

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@mjboh3 wrote:

Adding to this thread-- same experience for me looking at the World Series. Fox looks good on its regular HD channel. The 4K stream quality is poor-- mostly due to the muted, washed out color. The audio is also poor (I have a 5.1 surround setup.) As a regular user of premium UHD netflix and prime video 4K HDR content on the Xfinity 4K-capable box, I am really surprised the World Series stream is so bad that I am actually sticking with the "regular" HD channel. 

I also have a Roku Streaming Stick+ which does 4K, but it just can't handle the Fox Sports app's 4K stream-- too jittery. (The color, however, was very vibrant when I checked it out.)

does your TV decode UHD hdr 10?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I had this issue too. I found better color quality by going to settings > device settings > video display, and change the video output resolution to 16:9, 2160p30 4K UHD [colors were washed out in 16:9, 2160p60 4K UHD (Best Available)].

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you. This made a big difference.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same issue with any live 4k sports (golf, soccer, football, baseball) Comcast broadcasts in HDR.  The network is sending HDR type "HLG" and the X1 is sending HDR10 to the HDMI port. The box is not doing the proper conversion of HLG->HDR10 correctly and all colors are very muted (dull).   

Today, 10/24/20, there is an ABC 4K game Notre Dame vs Pittsburgh in 4k SDR (no HDR) and it looks great.  All the Fox 4k games are broadcasting in HDR-HLG and very dim on X1 DVR.

Also when X1 is sending a live HDR show the menus and guide are all very dark and messed up looking.

My TV supports all HDR types: HDR-10, HDR-10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision

I wish Comcast would fix the HLG to HDR-10 conversion algorithm or add an HLG pass-through mode for its customers with new TVs that support HLG.

The Netflix app seems to render HDR-10 content correctly on the X1.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

@Crosscr, thanks, I'll try that for tonight's game. Changing from [Best Available] to locking it to the UHD resolution might be the Fonzie hitting the jukebox move I need.

If that doens't do the trick, the other thing I will try is to take my tuner out of the mix and direct connect the Xfinity box to the TV. The tuner supports HDR10/HLG/DolbyVision, but it would be one more thing to rule out. 

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

Yes. TV is a Sony XBR X830F that supports HDR10 and HLG. 

I have a tuner in the mix, but it is a Sony STR-DH590 that also supports HDR10, HLG, and DolbyVision, so I don't think that is the problem. Also, other 4K content looks fantastic in this setup. 

Contributor

• 

80 Messages

4 years ago

You can also try doing what I did to improve the picture quality.......which was switch your tv to movie mode then up the brightness to its highest level[50 in my case] then up the color to 43[out of 50] then I tweaked the BT 1885 to a higher level and one or 2 other things that'd also improve the pq........that should work.[even in regular HD the pq is amazing now]

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

@Crosscr FOR THE WIN. His solution is the correct one!

I have missed out on 4K for all these post-season baseball games because the feed looked lousy, with muted, almost muddy colors.

Tonight, at the start of Game 5, I made the adjustment:

His solution (in the thread) was to go into Device Settings and change Video Display from 16:9, 2160p60 4K UHD (Best Available) which is fine when you're on regular channels to 16:9, 2160p60 4K UHD which forces the box to send the correct color data, I guess. The picture looks gorgeous. 

Shouldn't require this kind of detective work. Hope Comcast makes the box a little smarter next time. Thanks again, @Crosscr!

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

4 years ago

@mjboh3,

Thanks for letting us know that the steps provided by @Crosscr helped fix your issue. Feel free to create a post if you need any help in the future. Take care! 

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

@XfinityChe sadly, the settings trick isn't working today while I'm watching the Oregon @ Ohio State game. Are there new steps involved in making the colors look correct (not subdued/washed out) on the 4K stream? It shouldn't be this hard...

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

Fox 4K always has looked washed out. I have seen it is just an upscale as cameras are reg HD

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Same here.  Washed out 4k and menus are barely readable ( super dark ).  Samsung 4k on X1.

Xfinity are you cutting out the HDR since there's not enough bandwidth to send 4k signal?

There's some serious color spectrum being removed.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

I am so sorry that you are having this concern with your tv, but you have come to the right place for help. If you don't mind though, can you please make a new thread since this is from October of last year? We can help you as soon as that is made! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Same issue with the Ohio State Oregon game on Fox.  Color was horrible.  I'll try 30p.  Would also like to know what XFINITY is doing to fix the issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello, @mmm999, we will be happy to help. Since this post was created a long time ago are you able to create a new post so we can take a closer look at this picture quality issue? This thread started almost a year ago . 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here