RenanLlanes's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 27th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

4K boxes require Xfinity Modem?

I chatted with Customer Service to request 4K boxes for my TVs that are 4K, including a DVR.  I have my own cable modem and router so was told that the 4K boxes are wireless and require a leased Xfinity router/modem.  First, is this true, and second, does Comcast have a plan to allow the 4K boxes to work for customers with their own modems/routers?  Thanks.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

@pgoldberg wrote:

The information about using a MoCA to Ethernet adapter was posted on the AVS forum by a Comcast engineer.  What specific technical information do you have to verify that it no longer works. 

personal experience. returned my two MoCA adapters due to the issue. If the devices established the network first while Xfinity equipment was off then the Xfinity equipment could not join the MoCA network. unplug the MoCA adapters and the Xfinity equipment immediately set up their own network. no indication of password needed to join the  Xfinity network. Via the forum, the Xfinity Pods connect to the Xfinity devices' network without a problem. Some customers have reported that their own range extenders worked as well as the Xfinity Pods in connecting Xi5/6 devices.

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

3 years ago

The post for me start on page 64.   The posts are from ENROBERTS and goes on for several pages.  

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/comcast-technology-topic.542401/page-64

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

3 years ago

Regular Contributo
01-25-2021 08:31
Re: Can you help with my 4k setup too

The information about using a MoCA to Ethernet adapter was posted on the AVS forum by a Comcast engineer.  What specific technical information do you have to verify that it no longer works. "

Any way to help me find this post on the AVS forum?

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

387 Messages

3 years ago

That is a very old thread from 2016. Also I don't see in his profile he is a Comcast engineer. 

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

3 years ago

I agree it is old but I have read no evidence that it still does not apply.  However, I feel Comcast will soon come out with a stand alone 4K non DVR box that will  work without a Comcast modem / router.  The easiest solution would be an Xi6 that uses the cloud DVR.  The Xi6 actually has a more advanced chip than the XG1v4 since it can play YouTube in HDR.  I hope this will soon be resolved but HBO Max app on the XG1v4 cannot do HDR while the Xi6 can with Wonder Woman 1984 as an example.  Since Netflix and many other applications including live sports can be displayed on the XG1v4 in 4K HDR I think the HBO Max issue should soon be resolved.   

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

3 years ago

"pgoldberg Regular Contributor "

Thanks "pgoldberg"  for the links and AVS thread.
Walked through  the conversations thoroughly and solved my
problem by installing an ACTIONTECH MoCA network adapter ECB6200.
The thread is old, but the solution STILL works perfectly - confirmed.
No more XRE-10007 errors!!

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

3 years ago

Another solution that works for me is the Roku 4K Streaming Stick Plus with the Xfinity Stream Beta app.  With this solution you save $7.50 per month.  You do lose some benefits since it does not have the full functionality of a X1 box, but the picture quality is excellent (similar to the picture quality on the 4K X1 boxes and it retrieves recordings from the cloud).   The Amazon 4K stick now also has the Xfinity Stream app.  I have not used the Amazon stick but I assume it would be similar to the Roku in functionality. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I just got off the phone with Xfinity customer service and had the same experience.  They were only offering me the wireless box that requires the Xfinity modem at $14/month, not the xg1v4 4K dvr box.  Is it still possible to get the xg1v4 4k box as I'm in the same boat with an Arris T25 and Netgear router that I don't want to replace?  I have read thru the 4K requirements page and it doesn't say anything about modems.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

3 years ago

Hello hmbay, thank you for reaching out to us here with this concern. We can certainly get the new Xg1v4 equipment shipped out to you via direct mail, or you could also take a trip to your local Comcast service center and pick the equipment up there. For further assistance feel free to reach back out to me here or send me a private message by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) then click "send a message". 

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

3 years ago

Most Xfinity stores don't have the XG1v4 in stock (at least in my area).   I would advise you to get one through the Comcast employee who stated they could mail you one. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I also heard that but I gave it a shot... no dice in Santa Cruz.  So I'm doing the shipping route.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I was just told that to get a 4K box that I need to get an xfinity cable modem.  I only have one TV and want to replace my existingX1 HD DVR with the 4K DVR (xg1v4).  Very frustrating.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here