SgtHowl's profile

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

Tuesday, August 27th, 2024 11:25 AM

New Number Lock Feature to help Prevent SIM Swapping Fraud

I just discovered this: How to turn on or off a Number Lock - Xfinity Support. I believe it is a new feature. Has anyone any experience with it or additional information? For example, can support center staff bypass the lock? It would be good to have additional detail on how reliable this lock truly is. SIM swapping fraud continues to increase.

Apparently, Xfinity introduced this feature in response to new FCC requirements. 

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

1 month ago

Here's additional information from Xfinity: New Ways We’re Keeping You Protected from Mobile Fraud (xfinity.com). There's a paragraph in there that really worries me: "If you're an Xfinity Mobile or NOW Mobile customer, you can enable Number Lock on Xfinity.com or the Xfinity App, via Xfinity Assistant, or through an agent."

An agent can enable Number Lock for you! Can an agent also disable Number Lock for you? Hopefully not without you having to login to your account using username/password/2FA.

I sincerely hope that an Xfinity representative can clarify this issue. Thank you.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Hello, @SgtHowl We recommend you take advantage of the self-service option https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-number-lock-help for utmost account security. Those who are not able to do it themselves can get assistance through the Xfinity Assistant or a Xfinity Mobile agent. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

@XfinityThomasC​ Thank you very much for your reply. I have indeed enabled Number Lock - it's easy using your app or website. Well done!

My question is this: could someone pretending to be me (using stolen information such as a social security number) convince an agent to disable Number Lock and do a SIM swap or port-out? If so, would I have an opportunity to stop the fraudulent SIM swap/port-out?

Thank you again.

Official Employee

• 

891 Messages

I don't believe so, since there are additional steps in place like two-step verification that would help to prevent things like that. You'd also receive a confirmation for any changes made to the account, which can also help to cancel pending orders if that were to ever be the case.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

@XfinityThomasD​ Thanks for your reply. How can we get a definitive answer to this question - that is, can a call center agent disable number lock in response to someone providing personal information? Or is it true that Number Lock can only be disabled by an Xfinity retail employee who has been provided a valid driver's license? Separately, how much time would the real customer have to call Xfinity to stop the fraud after receiving the confirmation that you mention? 

This is a very important issue for many of your customers. Thank you for your help answering these questions.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

SgtHowl Great question. Have you tried to call our Expert Xfinity Mobile agents to see if they have a way of being able to disable this feature? You can reach them by phone at (888) 936-4968 or even chat with them https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support.

Contributor

• 

32 Messages

1 month ago

Here's what an Xfinity Communities Manager told me. This is encouraging to me - seems like a definite improvement.

"Number Lock can be activated online, through the Xfinity app, or at a Xfinity retail store. When Number Lock is enabled, customers cannot port their number to another service provider or perform a SIM swap. To disable it, customers must use the Xfinity app, the website, or visit a Xfinity Retail Store for identity verification.

"In summary, whether turning Number Lock on or off, there are three ways to do so: through your account on the website, via the Xfinity app, or by visiting a Xfinity retail store. Both the website and app require secure login with your account credentials. If done in-store, a strict identity verification process, including presenting an ID, is required before any changes can be made."

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here