TRFix's profile

New Poster

• 

13 Messages

Friday, February 16th, 2024 4:57 AM

Closed

Data Usage

I am using over 20 gigs a month even though I'm home and connected to my wifi 90% of my life. I work from home so I only leave to run a few errands. This was happening with my previous device as well so I know it's not a device issue. I got a new phone the end of November. Please don't tell me I have to switch off my data bc not only is that annoying but if I'm home sitting right next to my router this shouldn't be happening. I play games on my phone but I'm home when I do, connected to my wifi. Bc of this I keep getting notifications to increase my plan. If you know what I'm getting at

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

7 months ago

Hi there @TRFix!  Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to Xfinity Support here on our Community Forum.  We are so glad to hear from you and want to help in any way that we can to ensure that you are having a top tier experience with your service.  Are you speaking in reference to your residential data usage or your mobile data usage?

New Poster

• 

13 Messages

Mobile data bc I was only using 2 or 3 gigs a month until you guys changed your unlimited plans into tiers. And now I'm using over 20 gigs a month while on wifi. I thought I made it clear enough in the original post it was about my phone's data.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@TRFix  Thank you for clarifying which data for us. We'd love to help, but we don't have access to XFINITY Mobile accounts via social media, I do apologize.

We would suggest contacting our Mobile experts via one of the following methods:

• SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968
• Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968
• Chat: https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

Our XFINITY Mobile partners are available daily from 7 am to 9 pm EST. I'm confident they'll be able to get this resolved for you.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

226 Messages

7 months ago

Have you looked at your cellular data usage by app?  That should tell you what's using that much data.  I'm on a 3 gig shared plan (with 3 lines) and rarely exceed that unless we're traveling.  I discovered last summer that my wife was out of wifi range at the far end of our house (the furthest we can get from the router) and was using a lot of data from a meditation app and Instagram.  I turned data access off for those apps to force her back into wifi range!

New Poster

• 

13 Messages

@lmacmil​ I have and use my phone the same way I've always used it. I don't use it much when I'm not at home.  Only for calls and texts bc I don't leave my house often. I just find it weird that I went from 2 to 3 gigs a month to over 20 when I'm pretty much always home.  I live in a tiny house so I can't even blame it on being to far from my router. I was asking on here bc support via chat or phone can't and hasn't helped at all.  I just find it fishy that since the unlimited plans have been enacted all of a sudden I'm supposedly using all this data whereas I wasn't before.  Which I keep getting notifications that I should increase my plan. So to me this is a problem. I'm also curious to know who else has seen a rise in data usage.

Contributor

• 

141 Messages

7 months ago

My wife and I still generally stay within 1 GB of shared data unless we're traveling, when I will switch us to 3GB. I have never seen a notification suggesting we should increase our plan or switch to unlimited. I don't know what devices you're using, but on our Samsung phones we can see data usage by app to narrow down any issues. I did once run into an issue with Google Photos insisting on retrieving large numbers of photos from my online backup any time I went to look for one photo, but was able to restrict that.

Official Employee

• 

736 Messages

@requa Do you still have data usage concerns?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here