ThosParB's profile

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Wednesday, January 24th, 2024 5:06 PM

Closed

Xfinity's faulty and failed CableCard pairing process

I have two CableCards working in two different Tivo boxes.  I replaced the older Tivo box with a new one.   I tried to pair the existing CableCard (which has worked fine for over 10 years) with the new box but the process to do so doesn't work.  First, the pairing link hasn't worked for many years (cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net).  So I called the number provided by Xfinity (877-405-2298) and was processed through three rep who had no idea what to do.   One rep told me that CableCard pairing cannot be done via phone reps, only a technician can do that at my home.  So now I must wait for the tech to come here to do what I know can be done vai a knowledgeable rep.   The problem is the reps are not equipped with that information.  I pay over $200 per month and have been a Comcast/Xfinity customer for 30 years.  This is very poor service.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

8 months ago

Follow-up: after 3 hours I didn't see any service confirmation, so I called Xfinity again.   The fourth rep of the day saw no record of my service dispatch, nor the ticket number rep #3 provided me.   It's like that interaction never happened.  He was unable to pair Cablecards so he scheduled another service technician for tomorrow.  I have no TV channels at all today and tomorrow.  Again, poor service.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@68Chevelle396 our Forums team and Reddit team are one and the same therefore @ThosParB is in the right place for assistance from our team. 

Thosparb it sounds like you were doing the correct steps with the website and calling the number. Did you also check out the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pair-activate-cablecard ? Did the technician already visit your home? If yes were they able to resolve the issue?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 months ago

... only a technician can do that at my home ...

That's incorrect. I have paired a number of cards over the years, always with a telephone call or chat session, last one just a month ago. An onsite tech may be able to pair it for you, but they may also charge you $100 to do it.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

8 months ago

Make a post on the Comcast Reddit stating you need to pair a cablecard.

(edited)

3 Messages

7 months ago

The article refer to by

XfinityDena leads to:

400 Bad Request

Request Header Or Cookie Too Large

openresty/1.21.4.3

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_c8a5eq. It may help to try another browser or clear your cache and cookies. I tested the link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pair-activate-cablecard on my end, and I was able to get in with no hiccups. Have you tried it on various devices? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

@XfinityVianney​ - What is not working is the link on that page for Self Activation

It is accessible from the Comcast Intranet but not the internet.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@68Chevelle396 No worries at all the Xfinity assistant is also a great quick way to get help with your card activation. You can go to our Contact Us page here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us and use the first option Chat with Xfinity or of course, the 877 number provided with your card is also always an option during normal business hours.  

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

7 months ago

@user_c8a5eq 

I have no problem accessing that page, either.  You might want to try @XfinityVianney's suggestion.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

7 months ago

The article refer to by XfinityDena leads to: 400 Bad Request ...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pair-activate-cablecard works for me, but the "activation" link on that page does not. DNS returns a Private IP that is not accessible on the Internet.

https://cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net appears to be working again as of 3-10-2024.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

3 Messages

7 months ago

That is correct: activation  link doesn't work.

Article page does work. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@ThosParB and @user_c8a5eq What happens when you go directly to CableCard Activation and log into your account? Are you able to activate your cable card from there? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

@XfinityChristy wrote: "... What happens when you go directly to CableCard Activation ..."

What happens is that, after a delay, the browser displays some version of "connection timed out". In Firefox, the message is "The connection has timed out. An error occurred during a connection to cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net". 

That's because the IP address for that host is a private IP that is NOT ACCESSIBLE ON THE INTERNET!!!

In a Windows command prompt window (and NOT VPNd into the company intranet):

"nslookup cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net 75.75.75.75" returns an IP address of 10.54.141.241.

10.54.141.241 is a PRIVATE IP (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network, which points out that ALL "10.x.y.z" addresses are PRIVATE ADDRESSES, and that "IP packets originating from or addressed to a private IP address cannot be routed through the public Internet"). 

The link you posted might work within Comcast, but IT IS NOT ACCESSIBLE TO CUSTOMERS!!!

https://cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net appears to be working again as of 3-10-2024.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

139 Messages

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for confirming it's now up and running @68Chevelle396!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here