erm54's profile

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

Tuesday, April 11th, 2023 1:02 AM

Closed

Forum not allowing me to post from PC

​Not sure when this started, buy I can no longer post to the forum using any browser on my PC. The description field is always greyed out.​

​I have tried 4 different browsers (FireFox,Chrome,Edge,CCleaner) and they all do exact the same thing.  I can still post if I use the browser on my phone...​

​I have been using the forum for many years and I never had an issue in the past and I have no idea when this actually started as I hadn't used the forums for a few months.​

​I always clear history, etc, so don't tell me to try that as it's a complete waste of time.​

​I even completely reset all the settings in the browsers and it made absolute no difference, other than wiping out 100% of all the saved settings for all the other websites I use...​

​I have had no issues with any other website either, only this one, and only when using the browsers on my PC.​

​Any ideas why this is occurring, something I haven't tried?​

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

**UPDATE 10/05/2023**

All,

Due to the feedback, we are still actively working to ensure this issue is fixed for all impacted users. We hope to have a resolution soon. As soon as something is available, we will post another update here. Thank you again for your continued patience as we work to get this resolved. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

@XfinityJessie​, Thanks for the update on this issue, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have fixed anything for me. I tried FireFox, Chrome and Edge on my main PC, clearing everything in all 3 (which I do all the time anyway), and all 3 browsers still exhibited the same issue - I can't reply, post new, etc., - the text box is greyed out.

Had to login on my cell to post a reply.

Example from FireFox on the PC showing I cleared everything:

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

All,

As mentioned this is a known issue with the forum software that we are working to resolve as quickly as possible. This is NOT related to any Microsoft issue or any other problem with your individual devices. Again, as a temporary fix, logging out of the forum, clearing browser cache and cookies, and logging back in is helping most impacted users. At this time, if the temporary solution does not work, we recommend using alternate browsers or devices to access the Xfinity Forum until this can be permanently fixed. Once a permanent fix is implemented, I will be sure to share that here. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your continued patience as we work to resolve this. 

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

1 year ago

@erm54 

Are you sure you're signed in to the Forums?

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

@Again​, I'm not a moron, of course I'm logged in to the forums. I've been using the forums since 2007 and know very well how they work.

I stated that the description field was greyed out, not all fields.

If I try to reply to a current post, the text box to enter anything is there, but in light Grey and nothing can be entered. If I try to create a new post, I can enter all fields except for the description field (box).

I haven't changed any browser settings on my PC since the last time I used the forums and had no such problem.

I've also since tried using a different PC and it acts exactly the same way. And as stated, and as I'm doing now, it does work in Firefox on my cell. I just don't want to have to post anything only from a small screen on a cell.

Also, on the PC, if I try to edit a post I've already made, such as this one from my cell,  it completely wipes out everything except for the fields it allows me to enter. So that means all text in the description field does not show at all.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

...Seems no one has any idea about this issue...

It is still the same, no change. The text box to type your post in (this very box I'm typing in) is greyed out.

Can't post anything from a PC at all (tried 3 different PCs), same issue on all 3.

PCs use 2 different AVs so that can't be the issue.

Tried 5 different browsers (FIreFox, Chrome, Edge, CCleaner, Opera), same issue in all 5.

Even tried resetting browsers, same issue.

Installed Opera for a completely new install (never previously installed on that PC), same issue.

Created a new Comcast Xfinity account, then created a new forums profile account, same issue!

I don't use any VPNs, and the firewall settings are either what Microsoft sets by default in Windows 10, or what Xfinity sets on the gateway by default, or what Xfinity checks for by default for it's Internet customers. I haven't installed any VPN or firewall software on my own.

It does work from my cell phone thru the FireFox browser, though it's not really as easy to do anything as on a PC. This is what I have been doing just to be able to use the forums again.

Any ideas?

(edited)

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

1 year ago

@erm54 

We apologize you are experiencing issues with the ability to post publicly in the Xfinity Forum. Recently, we have identified some code mis-sequencing that is causing issues with users' ability to post and reply to Xfinity Forum threads. As we work to resolve this, we ask that you please log out of the Xfinity Forum fully, clear your browser cache and cookies completely, and then relog into the forum and try again. Please let us know if you continue to experience issues after the browser is cleared. This should be a temporary solution to this issue as we find a long-term fix. Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve these issues quickly.

Please let us know if you have any other forum questions. 

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ , Thanks for an update on this issue!

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I have done the things mentioned, many times, on 3 PCs. I even installed a browser that has never been installed and it still had the same issue. I will check back periodically but currently my use of the forums on a PC is limited to reading posts only.

I can continue to use my mobile for posting and updating posts, but I really hate it as it's slower, more clumsy, and some features, like spell check, are missing or don't work as easily as when on a PC.

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

Hey @erm54 !  I'm sorry if you thought I thought you were a "moron"; that was the furthest thing from my mind.  This is certainly a mystery, not to mention a frustration for you.

Just a clarification for me, if you please.  So, you're saying that the Subject box is okay to type in, but the Body box [sounds like a coffin, doesn't it?  😀] is greyed out, including the format bar?  Can you type in the Body at all, or it just plain won't let you?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

@Again​, sorry, my comment about not being a moron wasn't directed at you because I thought you were thinking I was, just that I'm more experienced than that (been in IT since 1972) and it was just bad wording on my part...

To answer your questions:

Yes, I can type into the Subject box.

No, the description box or body box or whatever, is greyed out and is therefore no longer a text entry box and I can't do anything more since it's marked as a required box...

And it's like that no matter what browser I use or what PC (out of 3 here) I use. And it also doesn't matter what profile I use. But it doesn't do that in the Firefox browser on my mobile...

Also, if I look at a post already in the forums and want to reply to it, whether I place the cursor in the "Comment on this post here..." box or click "Reply", it refreshes and changes the screen with the expanded text box, but it immediately greys out and I can't continue.

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

@erm54​ 

So, the format bar at the bottom of the Body box is greyed out as well?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

@Again@erm54 

Does your box look like this?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

currently happened to me w/ chrome right now edge is working ( pains me I know).   I even tried writing it out sepretly on chrome and pasting,  it actually pasted but couldnt post thought my response had no characters,  Xfinity I pay you more then I do my auto loan and my idiot neighbor could script this out in less than hour 

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

@davidkiefer​ 

Can you post a screenshot of what you see after you type in everything but before you post, and then another one after you hit post?

Thanks!

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

1 year ago

@erm54 @davidkiefer 

Okay, so maybe I think I know what you're seeing.  But, I could be wrong.

If you want to reply to a post, you are seeing Reply to this comment here and it is greyed out [I greyed this out intentionally].  Are you putting your cursor in that box and then clicking?  If so, it should bring up a reply box with a dark format bar at the bottom.  If you click on the word Reply next to Like, you should also get the box with the dark format bar.  Putting your cursor in the box you should be able to type in your description and then click on the Post button at the bottom of the screen.

And when you edit your post, you just edit in the same box you already posted in, and then click on Post.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

@Again​ , For the Reply to this comment here I can PLACE the cursor in the box (or whatever you want to call it) but it immediately changes to the greyed out box that allows absolutely nothing to be done...it's like it changes it to just some background pic on the page... (see image below)

As for typing something outside of the forums, say in Notepad and copying it, it doesn't help as I can't even place the cursor in that box to paste it before it changes to the greyed out box....

But basically the same thing happens when I click on Reply - it changes to pop up the text box but again it's greyed out and impossible to enter anything in.

And when trying to create a new post (ask a question) the Description box is just greyed out to begin with and doesn't allow anything to be entered.

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

@erm54​ 

And the format bar at the bottom is also greyed out?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

@Again 

The box was greyed out for me. I am sending this test reply.

It worked for me.

(edited)

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

A number of Microsoft servers around the world have been hacked with a virus, including the USA. I wonder if that is playing into the Op's problem in his location. 

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

@Again​ , sorry for the late reply, been busy lately.

Since the format bar is only available for text typed in and it won't let me type anything in, it isn't even displayed yet.

It is odd that different users seem to be impacted differently, but since they are working on finding and fixing the problem I will wait and hopefully evrything will be working normally again soon. In the meantime I will continue to use my cell phone only to post to the forums.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here