U

Friday, August 4th, 2023 9:33 PM

Closed

Xfinity charging for "free" flex box

My internet signup came with a free flex box. I informed xfinity I didn't want a flex box, only internet. Days later i received a flex box in the mail. I called xfinity and told them I didn't want it and asked to confirm I was not being charged for it. They confirmed it was free, however went on to say if i didnt return it I would be charged $50! Shame on you Xfinity!

The Federal Trade Commision website states the following: Your Rights When You Get Unordered Merchandise
By law, companies can’t send unordered merchandise to you, then demand payment. That means you never have to pay for things you get but didn’t order. You also don’t need to return unordered merchandise. You’re legally entitled to keep it as a free gift.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/what-do-if-youre-billed-things-you-never-got-or-you-get-unordered-products#:~:text=By%20law%2C%20companies%20can't,need%20to%20return%20unordered%20merchandise.

Official Employee

• 

968 Messages

11 months ago

@user_fb18fa Thank you for reaching out on the Xfinity Community Forums. We are happy to assist you. The monthly reoccurring charge for Flex service is included in your internet service. The Flex box does not incur a rental fee as it is included in your internet service as well. Equipment is agreed upon in the customer approval process via email, text, or verbally if done over the phone with an agent, when you set up the internet service. This box would need to be returned to the local service center or UPS shipping store if you decide not to utilize it for streaming applications with your internet services to avoid an unreturned equipment charge that is outlined in your residential service agreement. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here