U

Tuesday, October 31st, 2023 9:20 PM

Closed

Unanticipated Charges on 'Free' Xfinity Flex Box – An Unsettling Surprise

Hello Xfinity Community,

I am reaching out to share an experience that left me bewildered. A while back, when I upgraded my internet speed, I was offered the Xfinity Flex 4K Box for free. This offer was explicitly stated on the official Xfinity page1​, among other places on the website​2​​3​​4​​5​. I gladly accepted the offer, though never ended up using the Flex Box.

After several months, I started noticing a recurring fee on my bill labeled as a "Lmtd Basic Converter." I never had TV service at my place, so this charge left me perplexed. Upon contacting customer service, it was revealed that the charge was due to the inactivity of the Flex Box. This was shocking as I was never notified that there would be a cost associated with not using the 'free' box, nor was there any communication regarding an increase in my bill.

I stumbled upon discussions on this forum that reflected similar experiences by other customers who faced charges for the inactivity of the Flex Box without any prior notification or clear communication from Comcast​6​​7​​6​. A particular thread and a chat with a representative details how an unreturned equipment fee is assessed if the Flex Box remains inactive for at least 30 days, which was an uncommunicated policy​6​.

The absence of transparency and communication from Comcast regarding these charges is disconcerting. It is unjust to levy charges on a 'free' product without clear, upfront communication about any conditions that might lead to additional costs. The term 'free' should mean free without hidden charges or uncommunicated conditions.

I am deeply disheartened by this experience and the lack of ethical communication regarding the charges. It's important for Comcast to uphold clear and honest communication with its customers to maintain trust and satisfaction. I am hoping to bring attention to this issue and seek a resolution, not just for myself but for other customers who might have faced or may face similar situations.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how did you manage to resolve it? Your insights would be greatly appreciated. I've been charged this rate since June of 2022. I'm now being told I'll be charged for this product even though I've paid more than the box is worth in 'inactivity' charges. I've been a customer for 8 years now and this really makes me want to cancel all my xfinity service.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post. I look forward to engaging in constructive discussions and finding a resolution to this matter.

Victor

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

8 months ago

Thank you for working with our team to get the Xfinity Flex box removed from your account and the charges reversed, @user_c02j21. You were awesome at getting through all of this!

For Community knowledge, we found that the Xfinity Flex service was removed during a package change. Since the service was removed and the Flex box was not returned the unreturned equipment charge was applied. Make sure to keep an eye on your PDF or downloadable statements found in the Xfinity app or on our website. They show the most billing details so you can ensure accuracy. This is especially important after making changes to your services. 

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

8 months ago

Greetings, @user_c02j21! Thanks for reaching out about the Xfinity Flex charging for an unreturned equipment charge. I sometimes run into this if the Flex box was never activated or if the Xfinity Flex service was removed from your account but the box remains. I would be happy to dig deeper into this and help with the charges. I see that you already sent us a Direct Message so I will continue there.

Please be reminded that sending unsolicited Direct Messages to an Official Employee of the Xfinity Community Forum is a violation of Forum Guidelines. We ask that you only ever post your questions or concerns in our public forum and remain patient for a response. If an employee responds, we ask that you please wait to be invited to direct message them. This will ensure that you get the quickest/best response possible.

Due to the nature of forums, the Xfinity Forum has never been designed as a place to receive assistance in "real-time". If you are in need of immediate assistance we ask that you reach out to us via one of the methods shared here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account/ANSWERED-How-to-contact-Comcast/ta-p/3053370

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here