Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

60 Messages

Tuesday, December 12th, 2023 4:39 PM

Xfinity Password Guidance for Account and Information Security

As part of our commitment to our customers, we may at times require you to update your password for account protection.  

When resetting your password, be mindful of the following:   

• The Primary account holder can request a mobile number or non-Comcast email address be added to the account for password recovery. 
  • If you don't have a mobile phone number or a personal (non-Comcast) email address listed on your account, you can reset your password by connecting to your home Xfinity WiFi network and visiting xfinity.com/password
    • From thereselect “Verify another way” to use your service address, Social Security Number (SSN), and birth date to verify your account and change your password. 
  • If you are a Manager, Member or Viewer on an account and are unable to change your password because you don’t have a mobile number or email address on the account, you’ll need the Primaryaccount holder to make the change for you or you can reset your password while connected to your in-home Xfinity Internet connection.
    • After your password has been reset and you're able to get into your account, please add your mobile number and/or email address, so you can handle your own password recovery going forward. 
  • If you’re stuck in a password reset loop (continual requests to update, even after you’ve entered new login information), clear cache and cookies on your browser to resolve the issue. See instructions for:  
  • If you use a third-party email program for Xfinity email, such as Outlook, Apple Mail, Gmail, etc., you will also need to update your Xfinity password on those programs.  
  • To add a further layer of security to your account, enable multifactor authentication. 
  • If you use the same password for multiple accounts, we recommend changing them. Reusing passwords increases the risk of a security compromise. 

See Changing or resetting your password for more information.   

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

6 months ago

My wife tried to access her email this afternoon and was directed to reset her password.  She was directed to a screen that only says:

"Need help resetting your password?

You can reset your password by connecting to your home WiFi network and visiting xfinity.com/password. If you still need help, give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY."

Going through that password web page, she was directed back to the above, with no way to reset her password.  I tried going through the online assistant, which is useless.  Calling the xfinity phone number I was unable to get the system to recognize the problem and could not get through to a live person.

So, she has no access to her email and no way to resey the password to get access.  HELP.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Cannot Reset Password

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thanks for posting on our community forums, @jiminnm. I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience while trying to reset the Xfinity ID password. We'd like to help troubleshoot and get to the bottom of this. Just to confirm, is she connected to the home Wi-Fi network while going through this process? Are these the steps you are taking to complete this process? Reset your Xfinity Password

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

As I mentioned in my post, that process does not work.  Her tablet is on our wifi network (our own modem and router).  That password screen does not show the security check box, only the statements I copied above.  Same is true using a wired computer.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thanks for that information, @jiminnm. Have you tried clearing out the cache and cookies? Or using a different browser to complete the process? How about a private or incognito page? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

I'll be interested in this answer as well.  My elderly mother is having the exact same issue.  We've used different browsers and cleared caches etc...even tried a different computer. 

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

I noticed in another post that someone had called Security Assistance at 888-565-4329.  I tried that.  After being on hold for 40 minutes before a live person answered.  She was able to walk me through the process and provided a security code that I had to enter when attempting to change the password.  It all worked and all appears OK again.

2 Messages

5 months ago

So, you say we have to connect to "your home WiFi network" to reset the password. I am not on a wifi network, it's ethernet. I don't even have a wifi card on my computer. [Edited: "Inflammatory"]  FIX THE PROBLEM!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @user_7efnzb. I am happy to help get to the bottom of this and apologize that the steps have not been working for you. Your home internet connection is what is required. It can be on ethernet or on WiFi. My PC is wired and I was able to reset the password a couple of weeks ago. Due to this issue are you not able to reset the password for the Primary user or is this for a secondary user such as a Viewer? 

2 Messages

It is a very long story. My parents were in their home with a Comcast/Xfinity account. (I take care of their needs as they are almost 95 and 96.) When they moved into assisted living in 2021, I told Xfinity that we needed to transfer the account to their assisted living facility, AND that the facility already provides basic cable and phone service. I told Xfinity that all they needed now was the DVR box/service. In trying to transfer, Xfinity started a new account at their assisted living facility, something I did NOT request. Because of that, my mom's email with the original account could not be switched to the new Xfinity-generated account. In order to keep my mom's email address that she has had for more than twenty years, Xfinity said we had to keep the old account, which has NO bill. I was told there was NO way to transfer her current email to the new account. Now, out of the blue, she was sent a required password reset. Because of the hot mess that XFINITY created, I cannot access the account in such a way as to change the password. Apparently she is not registered as the account person with the power to change the password. AS USUAL, there is NO way to talk to a live person or even CHAT to a live person. Xfinity has, BY FAR, the absolute worst customer service of any company or organization I have ever dealt with in my life. Fortunately, because a customer of yours, certainly not Xfinity, posted another number to call to get this Xfinity-caused problem. Hey, guess what, even THAT number puts you on hold for "more that forty minutes" per the automated response. This is NOT my responsibility, it is all Xfinity's responsibility to deal with this. I have LITERALLY spent HOURS and HOURS on trying to fix this for my mom. You people are f****, fix your f****** problem!!!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

No worries @user_7efnzb!  We are going to help to get things taken care of for you.  I take care of my grandmom and I fully understand how overwhelming handling their business can be at times.  No worries!  We are going to get things ironed out for you.  Please feel free to shoot us a private message so that we can get started.  

To send a "direct message" / "private message" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

2 Messages

5 months ago

This is truly absurd i just updated my password. I still use my comcast email, this is an inconvenience. Having access to email is important and i was locked out. The rep says it's an xfinity update for the holidays. The second one says my account is inactive and has transferred me to a different dept. Y'all created a worldwide problem for no reason at all. My security codes get sent to my email. I cannot log in on the rest page because it says to call. The hold times are way to long for a problem that y'all created. I'll have to move my emails back gmail now because i cannot be dealing with this mess.

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

@user_slv35y The best course of action, in this case, would actually be to report this to our Customer Security Assurance. You can contact them calling CSA directly at Toll-Free Number: 1-888-565-4329.

2 Messages

They're not doing nothing after being on the phone for hrs over the course of 3 days they're clueless and i give up. As i thought y'all had a security breach and the reps and automated system lied saying it was cause of the holiday. It's a bunch of [Edited: "Language"] and my information was removed from my account. Only one person was able to find the account number it's [Edited: "Language"].

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_slv35y Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message: 

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon 
  2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
  4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

1 Message

4 months ago

For those that have their account in the reset loop and have the account listed in the primary account you can do the following:

1) use xfinity.com/password:

2) Click on Forgot

3) Click I'm not on my home network (even if you are)

4) Select from Mobile phone number, Email address (You may have an external email attached), Social Security number

5) It will ask to send a code in and will send you one.  Insert the code to move forward.

6) If this works, let me know.  The email I'm trying to reset has been orphaned (not on the primary account, although I've had it for ~ 20 years!) by Comcast! (thanks Comcrap)

1 Message

Update:

Comcast can't attach the email address they forced me reset because their records don't show the service addresses I KNOW I had this email at.

I'm escalating this to Comcast corporate, then far and wide to the world.  Comcrap, give a response in the next 24 hours and I'll think about

letting this become just MY bad memory.  Up to you!

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

@user_8xfpg6 Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

After 4 hours on the phone this has finally been resolved.  Now I will need to decide if Comcast Execs get my email.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here