kmitton's profile

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

Monday, August 16th, 2021 8:40 PM

Closed

Composing email no longer picks up correct send from email

I have my primary email and then 3 other emails address that are imported to xfinity.  Until very recently (today or yesterday) when I went to the inbox of one of the 3 other email addresses (e.g. [Edited: "Personal Information"]), when composing the email, it automatically defaulted to whatever mailbox I was in.  However now it is defaulting to my primary email address in all cases. Something has changed very recently because the whole "compose" also looks different to me.  Is there any way to revert to ensuring that the address being sent from default properly to the mail box I'm in versus having to change each time?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Official Employee

• 

975 Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @kmitton! Thank you for reaching out here on our forums page. I'm sorry to hear about the email issues. We are happy to help! Have you gone into the settings recently to see if the defaults were adjusted? If not, are you able to go into the settings for each of the additional emails to check the defaults to correct the issue? Let us know. 

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

@XfinityLinda

It seems like the "default" is at the generic setting and not at the mailbox level.  What I mean is when I go into settings, on the "compose" page which seems like it is for ALL accounts allows only 1 email to be specified as the default.  (mail->compose->advanced settings->default sender address).  It is defaulted to my primary comcast email but there is no option to change (I would be looking for something like default to whatever the sender is for that specific email account).

When I go into the individual email accounts, it lets me specify incoming and outgoing server info and everything is correct there -- but no where to specify at the account level that I want the default sender address to be that which is on the account.  

If there is someplace else I need to check I need to be pointed to it because I don't find anything on the settings other than what is specified above.  It worked just fine prior to the most recent changes to email. 

Thanks

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

@kmitton

It sounds like you are wanting to be able to switch what email is showing it is from when someone sends it, is that correct? That would depend on what email you are logged into at the time. This is why you are able to do this through individual accounts but the primary account will default if you are logged into overall account.

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

@kmitton

There have been no changes I'm aware of to the email software recently.  I have several other accounts enabled in the mail-fetcher in the folders pane, and if I select the Inbox for any of them and then Compose, it shows that account as the sending account.  In my settings it shows the default as the Comcast account, like you described, but it has no effect when sending from any of the others.

Try clearing history/cache in your browser, or try a different browser to see if the problem persists.  Also, sign out of the Comcast account and back in again.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

@Latoque 

I have logged out and back in.  I have cleared cache.  I have also tested on both Chrome and Firefox (normally I use Safari) and same thing happens -- when I click on the inbox it does NOT default to that email when I compose for sending out something.  I've also tested on a windows machine and same thing happens -- when I go to one of my other inboxes it does not show that account as the sending account -- it defaults to my primary account. 

Also something else that may or may not be pertinent....when I logged into comcast email I used to see an indication that it was loading all my email accounts (it would list not just my default comcast account but also some of the others).  But I don't see that anymore.  However when I do get in, all the accounts are there, the inboxes are there and new mail is reflected there.

Per no changes to email, the change I notice is now when I go to compose an email, regardless of my window size all the options, attachments, etc are at bottom of email and not at top.  That coincides with when my other inboxes no longer started defaulting to that account when I compose an outbound message. 

Any other ideas?  It is very hard to remember to switch the sending address each time I compose an email from these mailboxes.  (I am able to switch -- I just have to remember to do it and since I process a LOT of email from each mailbox it is really a pain to have to try to remember to do it each time. 

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

3 years ago

@kmitton

I asked this before and my post was marked Private but I have no clue why, so I'm asking again.

Are you using webmail or an email client? In webmail using Firefox when I follow the steps you posted  [(mail->compose->advanced settings->default sender address)] I don't see "advanced settings ->default sender address".

Can you direct me to where you are seeing this since it doesn't appear anywhere in my compose window?
This comment was created from this reply

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Again : It's at (gear icon) / Email Settings / Mail / Compose / Advanced settings / Default sender address 

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

Yes I am doing this via webmail -- (via the browser have tested safari, chrome, firefox on a mac, also tested Firefox on windows...same results).  

Default sender as BruceW noted above is on the email settings so on webmail the gear icon in upper right, then compose under the mail settings, and on that page under advanced settings is a default sender.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

@kmitton For some reason this afternoon it suddenly started defaulting to the appropriate email to send from.  I didn't change anything between this morning and this afternoon nor did I reboot but at this moment all my external emails are sending properly using the correct send from.  

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

I was happy a few days ago when this seemed to resolve itself with out additional action on my part -- but now the same problem is occurring.  It is again always defaulting to my primary email and when i am in the info of one of my alternate emails, it defaults in all cases to my primary.  So I'm back to looking for a solution to this.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here