U

Wednesday, February 7th, 2024 3:28 AM

Adding Comcast email to Outlook

On Feb 2, 2024, my comcast email stopped updating in Outlook 365.  After researching and trying  a number of suggested fixes, I finally took some advice and deleted the comcast email from Outlook, intending to reinstall it.  I tried verifying that I could log in to my comcast email through a web browser, but Xfinity would not let me log in without changing the password - which I did today.  Since changing the password, I have re-logged in multiple times on the browser, so I know the username and password are correct. 

I have tried repeatedly to re-add the comcast email back into outlook.  But after adding the correct password during setup, and getting the "we're getting things ready" message in outlook, a popup quickly comes up asking that I enter user name and password for the following server: 

Server imap.comcast.net

The next field is pre-populated with my comcast username

and the final field also appears to be pre-populated with the password. 

(FYI – I’ve tried just using the pre-populated as well as manually entering the new password).  The only two options on this pop-up window to move forward is: "OK", or "Cancel".  When I click OK, the pop-up goes away for a second, then reappears.  Clicking OK again, and it comes right back.  (Note: I experienced this similar pop-up some time ago, and the fix ended up being that comcast had made a change to privacy settings and I had to go in to my comcast email and allow third party access.  This problem acts the same way, with the same pop-up window as was appearing previously, but I've checked and that third party access is still checked in my Xfinity mail account settings - but it's acting the same way with that pesky pop-up immediately coming up asking for username and password).  Seems to once again be a change on Xfinity/comcast end – and forcing the email password change that happened at the same time the comcast email stopped working in outlook.  

My comcast email was working fine in Outlook until now.  Need to know how to fix this access issue and add my comcast email account back into Outlook.

Please help.

Ron.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

I have the same problem - had Microsoft Office 365 help for over an hour last night and they said I need to contact Xfinity for resolution.  

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Still having the issue, so far none of the suggested fixes have resolved the issue and the only way to check email is to log into xfinity directly.  Is there any way to speak directly with someone at xfinity that can resolve this issue?

1 Message

Turning on 3rd party access worked for me.  Yay!

Official Employee

• 

767 Messages

5 months ago

Good Evening @user_xzaviz so sorry to hear about these difficulties after that mandated password change. The errors that you're receiving are likely due to the UID/password not being synced correctly with the incoming/outgoing servers. On top of this, we did add a new feature to the Xfinity Web Portal for Third Party Access Security. Have you had a chance to see if this is enabled? 

Turn your access to third-party email programs on or off in Xfinity Email

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thi new feature defaulted to this check box being checked for me, so it's not that.

3 Messages

5 months ago

Yes, I have checked on this previously.  That checkbox is currently checked to allow third party access.  

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

@user_xzaviz have you removed the app and then re-download and add your email again? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

I also have started having this sync issue in the last few days.  I have an Outlook Exchange email, a Gmail account and 2 Comcast accounts feeding my Outlook.  The only email I am having any issues with is one of the Comcast accounts.  Both Comcast accounts are set identically and had passwords updated the same day, yet one will not sync.  I can access the email from the Xfinity log on, but not thru Outlook.  Seems to be a Comcast issue to me.

Official Employee

• 

572 Messages

Good Morning, @user_07iqzq! That certainly is not the experience we want for you to have when attempting to access the emails and them syncing. Have you ensured the third party access is toggled on? You can view the directions here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access. Please let us know if you have any further questions/concerns. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 months ago

I am having the same issue with Outlook as well. Same scenario - I can use the same password and get directly into Comcast and check email. It works on my phone app as well but not desktop. It's been working fine for a very long time but this seems to occur every once in a while when I change nothing. Very frustrating. Still stuck - day 2 of this now.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

If it helps at all, mine is set-up as imap. When I try and 'test' this, the pop-up occurs, asking me to enter my user name and password for the imap.comcast.net server. This is the thing that keeps poppping up even though it has (and has had) the correct password. That same pop-up keeps happening so eventually I cancel it. then I get an error saying the test failed because the connection to the server was interrupted. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

kcieplik Please let us know if you are still having the issue with outlook on your device not accessing your email you have with your account with us. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

no answer was given here that helped me, but this issue resolved itself. I’m assuming something was fixed on the Comcast side because I did not change anything

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hi there kcieplik!  We are glad to hear that this is now working the way that it should.  There may have been some work completed on the back end.  How are things now? 

1 Message

I am still having this issue after an hour with microsoft remoting into my computer and with an hour on the phone with Xfinity.  HELP

2 Messages

4 months ago

I'm having the very same issue as above. I could not get my xfinity mail in Outlook. I logged into xfinity mail in browser and checked the 3rd party access. I changed my password and checked it works with the browser email.  I still cannot get my mail in outlook on any device.  Ipad & Android or Laptop all give an IMAP timeout.  PLEASE HELP

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

@user_5asr11 others are reporting the issue has been resolved. Were you able to reattempt to add Xfinity email to outlook?

3 Messages

4 months ago

There must have been some work done in the background.  Tried adding comcast email to Outlook again today (without making any changes in my comcast account, or any different approach in Outlook), and it finally successfully added to my outlook email.  

1 Message

4 months ago

I am having same issue.  Checked the above and everything set correctly.  Both Outlook and iPhone can NOT connect to Comcast email but can login directly to it.  Can you offer better advice as to how to fix this.  It started a few days ago.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Just set up my Comcast email through my Outlook.  Can view everything in Comcast Inbox as of the setup, but it's not updating.  Still have to separately go into my Comcast email account to view current emails in Inbox.  What must be done to fix this?  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

I am having the same issue as others are describing: can only see my comcast emails on the xfinity site. Outlook on PC and my iphone are not displaying new emails for the past week or more. I checked: the 3rd party access check box has been checked all along. I unchecked it, refreshed browser, then checked it again and refreshed again -- just in case that would help. Followed-up with shutting down and reopening outlook -- no change, I'm still not getting new comcast emails in outlook on pc or on iphone. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

I must say that it now periodically works, but it's not consistent so I don't trust it and still have to sign in to Comcast email to be sure I'm getting all the latest.

5 Messages

4 months ago

I have the same problem as above but with a twist. I use Outlook for my email and connect to Xfinity’s imap email server (@comcast.net). I'm testing increasing my internet speed and switching to AT&T 2.5Gb fiber (Xfinity is still well under this speed). The problem is Outlook will not sync with the Xfinity imap.comcast.com incoming mail server when I swap to the AT&T fiber network strictly with their modem. It continues to ask for my email password and eventually errors out with unable to connect with server. This happens on 3 computes, hardwired and Wi-Fi and various versions of Outlook. I have upgraded all my network to 10gb including network cards, switches to 10gb, and internet cables to CAT6 or better. It always works OK on the Xfinity router (my Xfinity account is still active). I have removed any possible interaction on the local network and plugged my system directly into the back of AT&T gateway. It seems to be some type of network speed or handshake problem On occasion (1-8) tries it may work.

Last week I had a 3-way conversation with 2nd level support from both Xfinity and AT&T. They both drew a blank. I don't want to give up my multiple @comcast.net emails to make the switch and I'm sure AT&T would not like future customers to know of this ISP migration problem. Xfinity any ideas?

The twist is i'm looking to upgrade my internet speed and I'm running Outlook also and having the same imap.comcast.net sync problem. When I start Outlook I get the pop up to enter your ipam password repeatably 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Let the truth out about what's going on so that we're not continually in the dark. If you can't offer a stable service what's the point of having a @comcast email address?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have been having the same problem on my laptop, tablet, and phone. I got forced into updating to the "new" Outlook and it was terrible, so I went back to the old one. I have had noting but trouble since. Maybe just give up on Outlook altogether and just use Gmail?

Official Employee

• 

601 Messages

@user_c9fe35, thank you for using the Xfinity Forums page. Is Outlook itself the only site where you noticed concerns related to your emails?

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 months ago

I had this problem in Nov 2023 while in Europe.  Did all kinds of things.  Finally, comcast realized they had the problem.

Today, Feb 26 2024, the problem is happening again.  I use outlook 365 to see my comcast mail on an HP laptop.  My wife looks at her comcast mail on an ipad.  

Both were working yesterday, Feb 25.

No matter what anyone says, it IS A COMCAST PROBLEM.

5 Messages

4 months ago

I wonder if we will EVER see a post or hoping a solution to this from someone who claims to be "I am an Official Xfinity Employee."?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

I have been having the same problem with my Outlook since some time around Feb 12th.  This problem has happened intermittently for at least a year now, but it typically resolves itself when I move an email to another folder or open an old email.  I never did determine which step creates the resolution, but in any event, it hasn't resolved this time. 

I have ensured the 3rd party option is set properly within the Comcast browser email.  I also check my COM Add-Ins and ensure that only "Microsoft Exchange Add-In" is enabled.  Is this the only Add-In that is needed? 

What other steps do I need to rectify this issue?  

Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

@NHFLWOMAN​ 

I had problems with outlook 365 on my HP laptop Feb 26 2024.  I didn't do anything and it corrected itself late in the day.  It is a comcast problem, not your problem.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

@NHFLWOMAN We definitley want you to be able to enjoy using your email via Outlook! I checked, and I am not seeing any known issues with Outlook access for Xfinity Emails. To confirm, is your email  updating properly if you were to access it via your online Xfinity account instead of a third party system? Are you using an Outlook application directly to access your email? 

3 Messages

@XfinityKatie​ Having same issues as everyone else.  Have removed and re-setup Xfinity email multiple times.  My verizon, exchange emails, gmail, etc. all work, there is only one email provider that it is not working - that's xfinity.  I am on a Mac using the new Outlook.  Sometimes the xfinity email works, then suddenly it doesn't.  I've tried setting up as POP and IMAP, same symptoms/results.  Have called Microsoft, they said I might need an app password, but it seems that xfinity no longer has an app password service.  Tried calling xfinity call center, the people I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about and kept asking me if I was asking them to reset my password.  I pointed them to this site and they still were unable to assist in any way.

Any help would be appreciated as getting my comcast.net email is very important to me.

Official Employee

• 

738 Messages

@user_g7t38i thank you for taking the time to leave a reply. I completely understand you have probably done/checked all of this previously based on your reply, but did want to confirm. 

- Email settings match: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

- 3rd party email access enabled: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access

3 Messages

Thank you for your reply!   I did confirm that 3rd party email access is shown when I review my Xfinity account security details using Xfinity webmail.  In terms of the email settings I have it setup as IMAP with incoming server imap.comcast.net, port 993, using SSL.   For outgoing, I have smtp.comcast.net, port 587, SSL.   What is curious is that I can send email from my comcast account but I am not receiving email to my Xfinity account?  When I simply let Outlook for Mac (new version not the legacy version) setup the account automatically it has the same setup.  The account worked fine when I switched to new Outlook about two weeks ago and then suddenly this past Thursday it stopped working and no matter how many times I remove the account from Outlook and re-establish it, I cannot receive emails, but only to that one account.   Thank you for taking the time to assist.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here