U

Monday, June 17th, 2024 7:38 PM

(451 - 451 4.2.0 JI6Ms7CTJVXjCJI6MsGZuv policy violation, try again later (DFTD)

HELP - I can't send emails - well at least group emails - a lot of the time.  What can I do?  I have tried from every device and tried changing settings, etc.  So frustrated.

(451 - 451 4.2.0 JI6Ms7CTJVXjCJI6MsGZuv policy violation, try again later (DFTD)

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

3 months ago

@user_i5o01d 

HELP - I can't send emails - well at least group emails - a lot of the time.  What can I do?  I have tried from every device and tried changing settings, etc.  So frustrated.

How many emails are you trying to send at one time?  There is a limit of 100 at a time, but it's best to break it down to a couple of smaller batches. 

You can read about errors here:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-errors

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Same thing keeps happening to me and I KNOW to break it down to under 100. It's getting SO ANNOYING that I might have to switch to Gmail if Comcast can't fix this. I sent two messages and then the third one was blocked by this error message. Seriously, it's very frustrating. I pay a lot of money per month to Comcast and I expect my email to work as it always has. This used to happen a bit, but now it seems to happen more and more often. 

1 Message

i got this error message today, with only 2 recipients, so it cant be an issue with sending emails to too many people. agree with you, i am having so many issues with xfinity/comcast, time to drop them.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_ysjo7n! We’d regret seeing you go! Does this issue happen when trying to send an email to just one of those recipients?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

3 months ago

Hi @user_i5o01d,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We greatly appreciate you sharing your experience regarding the Xfinity Email services. Would you be able to provide us with some additional information such as where you are encountering that error? Are you using a third-party email program or using the native Xfinity Email web portal? Are you having issues sending any email or only sending when you have a few recipients? Any additional information and detail will be extremely helpful in diagnosing the issues you are going through.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Same thing keeps happening to me and I KNOW to break it down to under 100. It's getting SO ANNOYING that I might have to switch to Gmail if Comcast can't fix this. I sent two messages and then the third one was blocked by this error message. Seriously, it's very frustrating. I pay a lot of money per month to Comcast and I expect my email to work as it always has. This used to happen a bit, but now it seems to happen more and more often. 

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

Thank you for letting us know you are sending to under that amount of recipients, user_c5eaeb. We don't want to lose your business and want to see this resolved so you can use the service in peace once again. Have you tried contacting our Customer Security Assurance team (CSA) about the error that keeps coming up? They can be reached by calling 1-800-XFINITY and requesting their team. They handle these types of errors that come up. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

7 Messages

3 months ago

I am getting the same troubling, frustrating issue which I first noticed 5/31/2024, and again yesterday (6/19/2024) with group emails.  Per the Xfinity limits I always stay clearly under the limit of 100 recipients per email.  And I stay under the daily limit of sending to 1000 total recipients.  I have 12 group email lists with about 70 recipients per list, so sending out to all 12 lists totals to 840 recipients (under the 1000/day limit).   

Years ago I learned to spread out the sending of the group emails over a period several hours, so I do not get flagged by spam detectors.  (These emails are legitimate, non-partisan, etc, and for the benefit of the community I live in).  Everything worked fine until 5/31/2024 when I started getting the "....policy violation, try again later (DFTD)" error.  I would send the first email with 70 recipients, wait 5-15 minutes, then send the second email of 70 recipients, so far, so good.  Then 10 minutes later attempt a third email with 70 recipients, and get the "policy violation..." error.  At this point I get blocked from sending any email, even to just a single recipient.  And even though I've just sent 2 emails of 70 recipients each.  That is, according to the Xfinity limit I shouldn't be blocked for sending to 140 recipients (70 in email #1, 70 in email #2).  If you try to send immediately again (ANY email), you get the same "policy violation" error over and over. 

This is an average scenario... sometimes I'll get the error with the second Send, or if I'm luckier may send out 4 emails within an hour before getting the error.  Thru trial and error, I see that if I wait an hour or two between these group Sends, then I can send out the next email of 70 recipients without error..... So, today I sent out emails at 11:13, 12:17, 3:12, 4:22 and 5:52 and because they were spaced more than an hour, I did NOT get the policy violation error.  And if you wait out the hour or perhaps a little longer of being blocked, you can sending out any email, ie to just a single recipient or two.  I make sure I do not have any important email to send out before attempting a large group email, knowing with the latter I may be blocked from sending anything for an hour or longer.

So, there must be some Xfinity algorithm that is limiting the flow, but I haven't seen anything from Xfinity explaining what is happening.  And I worry that there will be tighter restrictions enforced at some point by Xfinity.  E.g, after the "policy violation" error, Xfinity mail users down the road might be blocked for 4 hours, 6 hours, a day??? 

Hope this helps to get around the issue, not a great workaround, and no guarantee my method will continue to work.  It is also an annoyance to have to dole out the emails at such a cautious pace.  I hope Xfinity or someone out there is able to give some answers, and improve the situation.  I do not think this is a user settings issue, etc, but something that is likely being tracked on the Xfinity server side.

Thanks, AM  

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

So no answers from Xfinity for you either?  I just went on chat and they told me they couldn't help bc it was bulk services.  How does it matter if I have one service or 5 when I can't send group emails?

6 Messages

3 months ago

Same issue here. I manage a list that is about 135 names. I always divide those sends in TWO (so about 67 recipients per send X2), well below the 100 limit.

TWICE this month (today and once a couple weeks ago), I used that list for a normal sendout (a couple paragraphs of text, with the recipient addresses in the bcc: field). After sending the two emails (so getting through my list of 135 recipients), about a MINUTE LATER, my account is blocked. An attempt to send ANY additional email (from any of my 4 Comcast addresses) is met with a version of the following error code:

4.2.0 KmYFs0TrGZC65KmYHsU1Ah policy violation, try again later (DFTD)

NOTE I've been sending this kind of email campaign (the same ~135 addresses divided into two send) through my Comcast account for YEARS. It's just in JUNE 2024 that this email behavior causes a "policy violation" and prevents me from sending ANY email (for what...a couple hours until I'm punished enough?).

I sent maybe 40 other emails to single recipients earlier today. Nowhere CLOSE to the 1,000 daily limit.

This is ridiculous. Let's fix this, please, Xfinity!

Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

NotHerbert Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar issue. Is this happening when using our Xfinity Website or a third-party email client? 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

I am having the same problem - have been sending emails to large groups (278, 352, 33, 42, 21, 5) one after the other for months.  Have never seen a problem with sending them back to back.  Just now tried to send a response to an email and it won't go through.  I'm using the Xfinity/comcast website.  What's up with that?

1 Message

Same problem.  I send out 50 at a time, total about 300.  Started getting this message about a month ago.  I don't want to leave xfinity, but this is really annoying.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Had the same problem this morning July 1st 2024. I sent 99 at 7:17am, then 33 at 7:27am, then tried 2 several times but keep getting this error. This is a critical operation for conducting business.    

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

user_rfdtdf, Thank you so much for letting us know over our forums page. We would surely miss your business. You've come to the right place for help. Would you mind letting us know what troubleshooting steps you have tried? Are you using our native web portal to send those emails? 

1 Message

2 months ago

I am having the same problem.

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

Hello, @user_nnkvi3 were you able to see the reply our great Xfinity Forums expert @Again posted above. Does the group email happen to fall into one of these categories: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/limitations-on-sending-email

2 Messages

2 months ago

I have the same problem as well.  I am only trying to send an email to less than 15 people.  About every two weeks, they send me an email to reset my password, which I do, and then will experience the policy violation emails.  Then my account is locked again and I get a please reset your password email again.

I am sending it from my Postfix mail server.  The error messages are in my Postfix server log.  Comcast - please send this thread to the SMTP platform support team.  They will know what is going on.

I understand that you can't allow SMTP wide open to the Internet, but then please provide a reliable SMTP relay service.

Official Employee

• 

826 Messages

@dh_52738 I would recommend to call in to customer service, and request to be transferred to our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team. They have been the experts helping resolve the password/login issues for our customers. 

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

Same problem. This has been going on for a month or more. Why hasn't it been fixed?

7 Messages

Thanks for your post.  I reported this a month ago (June 20th) here.  Same problem again just yesterday.  It started 2 months ago.  Not sure Comcast will do anything. There's enough info on this thread that they should do something without asking more questions.  Maybe if people keep posting complaints that could help resolve.  And why I am responding, posting again here.

AM

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@user_1sxjin​ Thanks for responding. I tried individual emails yesterday and they didn't work either, but then later in the day it all cleared up and I could send my group emails. So maybe this is something that just happens once in a while and they fix it (or think they fix it) and then it comes back.

7 Messages

For me it is a predictable and consistent problem.  For 3 months in a row I have had the same exact issue.  I do not think Comcast has done anything to fix it.  I have not called the 800 customer support number yet.

Official Employee

• 

708 Messages

user_1sxjin Are you still having email issue?

7 Messages

Still having the problem as are the 10 people who have noted the same problem on this thread.  Why are you asking us to post publicly to benefit others, so others would know of our frustration.  What benefit is that.  You are a Comcast employee.  HAVE Someone at Comcast fix the problem.  When Comcast states one may have 1000 recipients, but really you cannot even send to 100 in a day.  That is misrepresentation.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I tried to respond to one person that I do often (several times a day) and got this notice code.  I don't understand the problem.

8 Messages

2 months ago

I have had the same problem.  I have 3 groups, approximately 80 or fewer on each one.  I send the first one successfully.  Then I am unable to send any emails at all for a while.  Not sure how long their limit lasts, but I am well below the supposed 1000 per day.   This has been a recent development, within the past several months.  These are legitimate emails with people who have signed up to get these emails.  I am pretty aggravated with Xfinity right now.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

I had the same problem recently, then it started working and they were sent. Since it didn't start with the first email I I believe it's related to a so called 'traffic issue' meaning the first batch must go thru before the second batch can go thru. This only happened once in many years of sending bulk emails. I believe something down stream trigger the problem, then it freed up and hasn't happened since.   

Official Employee

• 

756 Messages

user_e8dcov Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

2 months ago

Providing a bit of clarity on this.  This deferral happens when the system believes you are sending bulk mail.  Many of you describe doing exactly that.  If you check the Residential Terms Of Service, it mentions this is not permitted (bulk of same/similar messages).  If you're attempting to run a marketing/commercial service, that is also prohibited in the Residential ToS.  There are many services that allow folks to manage sending like this for free (or a small fee for more features).  The system isn't blocking these completely, but is lowering the number of permitted messages of that type.  For messages that do not meet this criteria, you should still be able to send 1000/day.  If you believe this is in error, we can take a deeper look.

6 Messages

So, if you have 100 of the same message to your forthcoming wedding guests, not allowed? Or 25 of the same message to your neighborhood organization members?

>>There are many services that allow folks to manage sending like this for free>>

Please name a few of the many.

Thank you.

2 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ I am a Comcast Business Customer.  I am just trying to send an email to about 12 recipients.  I am in no way near 1000 per day.  Each time I send two of those emails in a row, you block my account and force a password change or display the above error message.

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

@dh_52738 

@XfinityAlex​ I am a Comcast Business Customer.  I am just trying to send an email to about 12 recipients.  I am in no way near 1000 per day.  Each time I send two of those emails in a row, you block my account and force a password change or display the above error message.

You need to be posting in the Business forums.  This is for residential.

https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@dh_52738​ If you DM me your email, I can try to take a look at the password reset issue.  

@NotHerbert If you search for "ESP" or "Email Service Provider", or  "group mailing list", you should find a number.  I can't/shouldn't recommend any as that could be viewed as improperly endorsing a service.  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi there, @dh_52738 I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience. Does the group email happen to fall into one of these categories: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/limitations-on-sending-email ? -Richard

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Same here, on July 24th. This is SO ANNOYING, Comcast, I'm ready to switch to Gmail if it's not fixed. I should be able to send multiple emails to big groups back to back - both LESS than the 100 recipient limit. 

8 Messages

1 month ago

I have been back and forth with Comcast on this issue.  First they give me the 100 recipient/1000 per day stuff.  I am nowhere near those limits.  Then they tell me it is all fixed, right?  Nothing has changed.  Others are having the same problem.  Why don't they just fix it?  They are false advertising!  I have now seen the pattern better, I believe.  I send out my first group email, to fewer than 50, below their supposed limit.  Then I try to send out emails after that.  They will not send and get put in the Outbox.  Sometimes they automatically send in an hour, sometimes they don't and I have to send them again.  Sometimes it takes more than 1 hour for Comcast to allow me the privilege of sending more emails.  I am very displeased with their service.  This is ridiculous.  

8 Messages

It has now been well over the 1 hour that they usually suspend my email privileges.  Still cannot send a single email to a single person.  Beyond frustrated.  What is wrong with Comcast?!  Why don't they FIX THIS?!!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_e8dcov I’m really sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you’re experiencing with sending emails. I can understand how incredibly frustrating and inconvenient this must be, especially after being told that the problem was resolved. I genuinely appreciate your patience and the detailed feedback you’ve provided.

To help us get to the bottom of this, could you please let me know if you’re using a specific email client or if you’re sending emails directly through Xfinity.com? This information will help us better understand the issue and provide more targeted assistance.

I

want to assure you that we take your concerns seriously and are committed to resolving this matter as swiftly as possible. 

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

There is no use having "official Xfinity employees" answering these messages, or telling them what browser or operating system we use, or what time of day or day of the week this occurs--it is an issue that seems to appear and disappear at random, and as such it NEEDS TO BE ESCALATED TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF SUPPORT, and we need to be informed here that this has been done and told when the problem is expected to be fixed. To insure that this happens, users of this forum need to start spreading the word online that Comcast is not responding at all to these complaints other than to give boiler-plate apologies and assurances that all is well.

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_e8dcov @peterr_742 

I noted elsewhere in this thread that the system believes you're sending bulk messages, which is a violation of your Terms of Service.  

Comcast Acceptable Use Policy for High-Speed Internet (xfinity.com)

If you would like to contest that, feel free to send me a DM, and we'll take a look.  We're not trying to stop people from sending 1000 messages/day, but we also don't want users sending bulk messages.  There are external/other services for that.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

Add me to a discouraged Comcast victim.  Just today sent our my home owners association newsletter  8/3/24 @1401 hrs(558KB) to 120 emails (90 msg #1 & 40 Msg#2)   All seemed OK. then tried sending out to an individual and got the "Polity Violation" message!!! Looked through the link provided "Comcast Acceptable Use Policy for High-Speed Internet (xfinity.com)" and saw nothing the would justify the "violation" allegation.

Ironically, the first sentence of the policy says: "Comcast's goal is to provide its customers with the best residential cable Internet service possible."  I could/should use gmail, yahoo, or others but that would just reward Comcast for their ineptness in solving this problem.  Why should I pay for the email service that forms a part of my internet contract with Comcast if I'm forced to go outside Comcast to get a normally functional email service???  Stop charging me for a frustrating non-service and I would gladly go elsewhere.

1 Message

1 month ago

I am having this problem on the third group of emails that i send out.  What I am doing is [Edited: "Inflammatory"].  I also send out twice a year invitation to our semi annual lunch.  I ran into this problem in June and this is the first mail out sense that time.

What is your recommendation.

My email is [Edited: "Personal Information"]

Thank you

[Edited: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_zkr391​ a) remove your email address from your post please b) please try again and let us know if you're still seeing issues.

6 Messages

1 month ago

Study XfinityAlex's response, people. They don't want you using your everyday Comcast email account to do anything organizational or small business-related if it involves the "same message" to multiple recipients. (The fact that we've all experienced these failure messages LATELY is because LATELY they've been cracking down on it.) The Terms of Service apparently prohibit "bulk messages" (is there a definition of that, Alex? there really needs to be). They expect you to use your Comcast email to read junk mail and send pix of your kitties to Aunt Sophie, NOT to send a message to 120 members of your condo association as a board volunteer, or 100 notices of a recent death to former employees, or an announcement to 75 customers in your small business.

To those who wonder when Comcast is going to FIX this, they have already FIXED it — to stop you from sending this kind of email.

WHO, by the way, reaches 1000 recipients in a day without bulk sends? Let's say you're at your workstation for 12 hours in the day. You would be doing nothing but sending an email every 43 seconds to reach 1,000 recipients. It's a nice round number, but it's kind of meaningless under your Terms. Your Terms on this topic are terrible and should be revisited.

We (speaking for everyone here) understand that an excessive amount of email can put burdens on the system, just like the kid who uses gabs of data playing online games all day. The air traffic controller can only allow so many planes through to maintain safety and sanity for everybody. 1000 email daily limit, perfect. We get that. But HOW we divide up those 1000 emails in our day, and WHO receives them, and what those emails contain (unless they're phishing or otherwise against the law) seems like it should be NONE of Comcast's business and entirely your customer's. If this is part of your master plan to "stop spam" it's a terrible solution — there are SO many kinds of bulk messages that have nothing to do with trying to trick people...

XfinityAlex: If I take an email intended for 150 recipients, that I would NORMALLY send in 3 groups of 50 recipients each (say), but send INSTEAD as 150 separate emails with one recipient each, is THAT sending "bulk mail" under the Terms? 1) IF NOT, is this the world of efficiency and productivity that Comcast envisions for its customers? 2) IF SO, who is Comcast to tell me who I can send email to, and what the message contains, within my 1,000 daily allotment? I am a communicator, I have a message to get out, it just happens that I have the same message to lots of people. Why should this not be possible under the Terms of Service? And more importantly, WHO higher up in the Comcast organization determines this policy so that we can have a further discussion about it?

The reality seems to be, folks, If you want to be productive with your email, Xfinity wants you to pay more and become a Comcast Business customer. Your outrageous monthly broadband fee and pedestrian Comcast email account are not enough. It's urusious.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Brilliant message! It happened to me AGAIN today and it is SO [Edited: "Language"] FRUSTRATING. You are right, they want us to upgrade to business and pay even more money. I'm not going to fall for it, I will change to a different email service before that happens. A hassle, indeed, but this is more of a hassle and it really does seem like Comcast is not going to address it/fix it at all. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@NotHerbert​ I've noted the link to the AUP a few times in this thread. The way many have suggested they're being impacted implies they are in fact "bulk mailing".   Additionally, the AUP notes that this service is not meant to be used to run a business.  I want to also note that this policy does not prohibit you from reaching 1000 messages/day, but may impact how that volume is reached (which you seem to have suggested).

Futhermore, there is absolutely no suggestion that any of this is meant to push people to CB accounts, as that implies the technical expertise to securely operate an inbound/outbound email server, and I can't possibly know anyone's technical level on this forum.  There are external services, some free, that may be better suited for sending large quantities of messages (especially in a marketing capacity), though I will not mention any as that could be viewed as an endorsement.

If, after reviewing the AUP, folks believe they're being improperly impacted, feel free to DM me, and I can take a look at what is going on.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Let's talk numbers, Alex. How does Xfinity define "bulk mailing"? 100 emails? 50? 10? 2? Xfinity has always said you can send up to 100 emails at a time, but the users on this thread have been complaining for the past six weeks that they are being blocked by Comcast from sending far fewer than 100 at a time. You and the other "Official Employees" who have replied on this thread sound as if each new complaint is a surprise, and they ask silly questions that have already been answered by other posts on the thread. Take a look at user_e8dcov's post about a week ago for a clear statement of the problem everyone has been having. As I said recently, there is no use having "official Xfinity employees" answering these messages, or telling them what browser or operating system we use, or what time of day or day of the week this occurs--it is an issue that seems to appear and disappear at random. As such, it NEEDS TO BE ESCALATED TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF SUPPORT, and we need to be informed here that this has been done and told when the problem is expected to be fixed. To insure that this happens, users of this forum need to start spreading the word online that Comcast is not responding at all to these complaints other than to give boiler-plate apologies and assurances that all is well.

Visitor

• 

16 Messages

@XfinityAlex

The AUP specifically identifies "UNSOLICITED BULK" messages as a policy violation. 

Those who send occasional messages to MEMBERS who have placed themselves on a distribution list is, by no stretch of the imagination, "UNSOLICITED".

For myself, as a volunteer with no compensation, I manage a directory/newsletter for my non-profit incorporated homeowner’s’ association and also coordinate several local sporting events for my Borough sending only to those who specifically requested those messages. Messages that have at a maximum have 120 addressees (split into 2 messages) and typically 1MB including attachments).

So I ask what policy am I violating that warrants a denial of service to the detriment/death of those two volunteer activities???

Comcast needs to clarify what constitutes “UNSOLICITED BULK” messaging and also adjust their implementation of this policy!

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

TLD_53829, Great question. We will be happy to research this further, Just to confirm, you're getting this error when attempting to send the emails does this sound correct? You are not experiencing any issues with receiving emails?

(edited)

8 Messages

1 month ago

Xfinity was UNABLE to fix the same problem that all of you seem to be having and instead sent me to Microsoft.  I imagine that I am not the only one using Microsoft Outlook with my Comcast account.  I have already checked my settings and they are what is recommended.  Not sure what else to do.  They also recommended setting up my groups on the Xfinity app.  Not sure how much time that will take, but it took me considerable time to set up my groups with Outlook. And I am not sure if I will have the same problem on the app as I have now using Outlook.  This just seems unacceptable.  We are paying for this service and could get the same thing for FREE with other email services.  Hmmm.  Kind of makes you wonder.  

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

I don't use Outlook, I go directly to the Xfinity site for my Comcast email - so it's not that. It's a COMCAST problem (or something they are doing on purpose), not Microsoft. They are just trying to pass the ball. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_c5eaeb Does the group email happen to fall into one of these categories: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/limitations-on-sending-email were you able to see the reply from our great Xfinity Forums expert @Again posted above?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello, @user_e8dcov. I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing this same problem with your Xfinity email. Can you please confirm if your group email issue matches one the these categories https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/limitations-on-sending-email?

Have you by any chance had the time to review this link to make sure all of the troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue have been completed https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-errors?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here