U

3 Messages

Wednesday, December 6th, 2023 1:56 PM

Closed

Xfinity Won't unlock my phone

I have a phone that has been paid off for months and we are changing carriers.  I've been requesting to have the phone unlocked for 4 days, but I've basically been getting the run-around.  On xfinitys website it states most phones will unlock automatically within 48 hours of being paid off.  In my case the phone has been paid off for 6 months and it's taken them 96 hours (so far).  It's starting to feel like Xfinity purposely inconveniences people who wish to unlock the devices they have paid for with their hard earned money. 

We were always happy with their service but needed to change so a particular plan member could have access to a brick and mortar store.  Now it seems switching is a good idea.

Accepted Solution

3 Messages

4 months ago

@user_vg4c83​ I ended up getting mine done after countless "escalations" and multiple 24 hour waiting periods.  It was almost a week total.

This comment was created from this reply

1 Message

7 months ago

I am also having the same issue with the case number [Edited: "Personal Information"]. I paid off the full payment for the device more than a month ago and they did not unlock the device yet. I've been reaching out via call, live chat agent and even visited the Xfinity mobile shop. They come up with ridiculous excuses every time, keeping me waiting on the chat and calls, and haven't solved yet. I'm getting the same feeling that they are intentionally deceiving their customers. [Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

3 Messages

@user_vg4c83​ I ended up getting mine done after countless "escalations" and multiple 24 hour waiting periods.  It was almost a week total.

This reply has been converted into a comment

Official Employee

• 

859 Messages

user_yfwsj7, Glad to hear your mobile account issues were resolved! Our apologies that it took almost a week to resolve everything for you. We value your business and loyalty with us. Please don't hesiate to reach out to us if you have any more concerns. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_vg4c83, thank you so much for outlining your issue and for reaching out to our dedicated mobile teams both of those platforms. We definitely don't want you to feel like we're intentionally deceiving you, or any customer, but I can understand why you do. I'd love a chance to help turn things around and work with you to get you the support you need. In order to get started can you please send a direct message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

@user_vg4c83​ 

Yes!! I am having the SAME problem. I paid off the phone 40+ days ago and they will not unlock it until Jan 5, 2024. No one mentioned to me on any of the numerous phone calls that this is the reason I kept getting a delay for the unblocking process. Just said they were very busy. 

Once I paid off the balance, I signed a contract with T-Mobile and was getting a large rebate. I will lose the entire rebate if my phone is not unlocked and ported over by December 24, 2023. No one is helping me. 

Official Employee

• 

398 Messages

@user_x40y59 We would be happy to look into this. Please send us a DM with your full name and address to Xfinity Support.

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Official Employee

• 

859 Messages

7 months ago

@user_yfwsj7  Thanks for reaching out about your unlocking your phone concerns. Our apologies this process has taken longer than usual. While our team can help with a wide variety of concerns, due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform--this includes billing, sales, device questions, etc. When was the last time you contacted our mobile team at 1 (888) 936-4968?

3 Messages

7 months ago

I'm having the same issue. I'm on day 5 with no service, at least 2 tickets created. My bank has suspended external transfers because they can't resolve my phone number. I've called and chatted every day with somebody different who assures me it will be unlocked by the end of the day. Nope. Somehow my daughter, who is also on my account, was able to get her phone unlocked (post number transfer) by the second day, but mine is still stuck in limbo for who knows why. We have the same iPhone 13 Pros and both bought and fully paid off our phones from Xfinity well over a year ago.

I filed a complaint with the FCC because if you do a google search you can see this has been an ongoing issue with Xfinity for years, and they've done NOTHING to improve it. They don't even bother posting any warnings like "PLEASE MAKE SURE TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO SWITCH CARRIERS". Instead they'll let you do it and then hold you hostage for days with no service. Never using Xfinity again for anything.

3 Messages

7 months ago

That's insane.  We were aware of the unlocking before switching carriers issue, but I have a couple of problems with that: Verizon attempted to port the phone before we were ready, and honestly things just happen, it shouldn't create a completely unsolvable problem for Xfinity.  That is a very standard issue that comes up constantly.  The second thing is that their website provides guidance on phones being unlocked, and it states that phones will be unlocked within 48 hours of them being paid off (with a few exceptions, none of which applied).  So we shouldn't have to be checking on long paid off phones, they say themselves they will be unlocked.

Also as a fix:  If your phone has already been ported....what they ended up doing was assigning the phone a temporary number, and then they were able to instantly unlock it.  Took a couple hours to go through.  It's wild that the fix is so easy, but they won't escalate it to the team that can do that until you've been waiting for 5 or 6 days.    

We have a new problem now....one of our watches still hasn't ported.  It has never had any payment on it.  Verizon is claiming Xfinity just hasn't given up the IMEI yet, so they cant add it.  What a mess.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_yfwsj7

We're sorry to hear you are still having trouble with your devices. Please contact our Xfinity Mobile Team for further assistance:

3 Messages

@user_yfwsj7​ Thanks for your reply! I'll bring the temporary number solution up to the next agent I talk to and see if it goes anywhere.

I agree, the phones ought to be unlocked automatically after they're paid off, and if they're not doing that to they need to figure out why. I paid for mine in full up front so there's no reason it should have ever been locked!

Official Employee

• 

574 Messages

@user_58al7e Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

1 Message

6 months ago

Same problem. My phone has been paid off for over a year, I chatted with an agent to ensure my phone was unlocked a week before changing carriers. Now guess what, I put the new SIM card in and my phone won't connect to the new carrier's network because it's still locked. I've talked to four different Xfinity agents today, the first three insisted my phone was unlocked, but finally the fourth one admitted it was still locked and gave me the "wait 24 hours and we'll get it unlocked" [Edited: "Language"]. I can guarantee it won't be unlocked tomorrow and I'll have to go through all this again. Xfinity customer service is abysmal. I've been straight up lied to by I don't know how many agents at this point. They lure you into their ecosystem with low introductory rates, then more than double the charges and make it next to impossible to get out of the ecosystem. Never again will I use Comcast for anything.

(edited)

1 Message

4 months ago

well here we go....they will not unlock my phone. They keep transferring me to different customer service reps. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey @user_n5amo4, were you able to get your phone unlocked alright?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

I am having the same problem! I have been trying to switch carriers since I have had a lot of trouble with receiving incoming calls on Xfinity mobile (people would tell me they called and I would have no record of it on my phone). I was told on 2/16 that my device would be unlocked in one week and my device payments would be waived. Then two days ago I was told it would be another 24 hours. Then yesterday I was told it would take 2-3 more hours and it would be unlocked by 8:30 pm. When it wasn't and I called again I was told I had to pay off the device first. So I did pay off the device and was told it would be another 24-48 hours and that I would receive an email when it was unlocked. This morning I received an email from Xfinity saying it was unlocked, but after trying multiple times and contacting my new service provider I learned it was still locked. I received another email from Xfinity saying they were unable to process the request to unlock the phone. I have been in contact with Xfinity since then and have gotten a bunch of mixed responses, from telling me again that it would be unlocked within 24 hours to telling me that it won't be unlocked until March. I don't get how so many Xfinity mobile representatives are allowed to lie to customers, especially when it's something this important. It's now been over a week for me without any cell service.

This comment has been converted into a post
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here