J

Friday, August 11th, 2023 12:42 PM

Closed

Galaxy Watch 6 Classic Activation Issues

I recently received my new Galaxy watch 6 classic and each time I try to activate the device after entering the IMEID it says the device is not compatible. However according to this article this watch is listed as one of the supported devices. I have chatted and called numerous times, and everyone just tries to sell me the same watch I already bought. I am not sure what to do here?

How do I activate my smartwatch? - Xfinity Support

2 Messages

1 year ago

4th attempt for support in the last 3 days. Francis the 3rd person to offer to sell me the same watch I am currently wearing on my wrist.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Hello @joho58, and I appologize you are having trouble getting your watch activated. I would be happy to put in a ticket to have our Mobile team work to get you the help you need without needing to get a new watch. 

Can you send us a direct message with your full name, name of account holder (if different), and service address please?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon (speech bubble)

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I have the exact same problem but with the Galaxy Watch 6 (non Classic version). I even escalated to the advanced technical team who collaborated with the L3 engineering team to try to force the watch on the plan but was unable to do so because of the IMEI compatibility check. And since this is eSIM, there's no options to use a separate SIM and fake out the system.

It's as if the agents and system think there's magic dust in each device that somehow the IMEI defines if that dust is eligible to use it on the network. That's not how technology works. This is the exact same device as Xfinity sells directly. There's probably some slight variation of the full model# (maybe based on color or something?) that someone just didn't plug into their system as compatible and now we're all screwed. Typical Xfinity experience. This is ludicrous and maddening.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I am being plagued with the very same issue. When I contacted Xfinity support, I was told I would be able to activate it 3-5 days because the watch itself was still in the pre-order status. I'm now on day 4 still running into the same issue.. not compatible. Also well talking with support, they just tried to keep pushing me to return the watch I have, and buy it directly from Xfinity. Why should I need to do that? I purchased this watch directly from Samsung, unlocked. Also would seem weird to be able to bring your own device, but a unlocked GW6 from Samsung is not compatible? Come on now! Very frustrating. Fix this now!!

(edited)

1 Message

1 year ago

I've had the same issue with my Samsung galaxy 6 watch stating not compatible. Customer service also told me to return the watch and buy from them. No thanks. If this doesn't get fixed within the week I'll switch to another service provider. 

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Hello @user_7c77b8 It is not good to hear that you are having issues activating your watch. Are you getting the same error that your device is not compatible? Have you ensured that your watch was paid in full and not still under a payment plan from the original seller/carrier you got the device from?

Our support here for mobile issues is very limited, so we always recommend to first try reaching out to our amazing Xfinity Mobile team via these methods for direct support. Have you already tried all three of these methods for support? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

3 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the same issue. Why do they even have the BYOD option?! Maddening, misleading, and fraudulent. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

For everyone on this thread: I escalated my issue to the executive team who got me in touch with the Xfinity Mobile Escalation team. Ultimately I was told that because Xfinity Mobile is an MVNO running on Verizon's network, that Verizon controls which devices Xfinity is allowed to bring onto the network, and most specifically, they like to deny allowing newly launched devices to be added as BYOD. They said the last product that they ran into this issue with was the latest Apple Watch which took 7 months for Verizon to allow Xfinity to add as BYOD. This issue also happens with iPads apparently (and conceivably any device).

If this is true, this seems like some sort of anti-trust violation to me - Verizon preventing customers from using newly purchased product on their competitor. Though at the end of the day, we could simply purchase the watch directly from Xfinity and be allowed to use it on the network - so I don't really understand the benefit to Verizon in doing this. However I do see benefit to Xfinity as this means if you want to put your sparkling new device on their network your only option is to buy directly from them. This seems incredibly shady.

In any case, none of this is going to work on me. I'm either going to take my watch to another carrier and set it up as a standalone line, or just wait it out. So ultimately this just becomes a wasted effort by Xfinity (or Verizon) and just results in an absolutely terrible customer experience; though I guess I shouldn't expect anything else from Xfinity at this point.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I'm feeling this might be an FCC kinda issue. "BYOD, as long as you bought it from us". I have filed an FCC complaint as of now against Xfinity for this issue. We will see where it goes. I have since activated my watch on T-Mobile for now due to this.

(edited)

1 Message

1 year ago

Hey guys, good news. Just tried to set it up again and worked flawlessly via the Wear app. Seems like the Xfinity-Verizon activation issues for BYOD watch 6 are sorted out. Good luck!

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hi @user_8a8889 Thanks so much for teh update! Glad to know your activation issues for your watch has been resolved! Please let us know if you need anything else. 

2 Messages

@user_8a8889​ how? I'm still not having any luck. Get an invalid token error.

1 Message

I'm also having the same issue with a new watch. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi there, @user_xt0uvu Thank you so much for your time and patience! I'm very sorry for the trouble you are experiencing, have you had a chance to reach out to are Xfinity Mobile team to get your concerns addressed?-Richard

1 Message

1 year ago

If you encounter activation issues and the message is "missing authentication token", please message a representative on the xfinity assistant and ask them to pair your watch with a phone number on your account and then the activation will work.

1 Message

10 months ago

I bought mine from xfinity and can't get it to pair with the network. Already went through 2 quick chats with no luck. 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@Pat_H thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding the issues with your watch. We would be happy to help you with troubleshooting. I want to make sure you can pair your device, so you can start enjoying it! Have you tried reaching out to Xfinity Mobile through phone support already as well? You can reach them at, (888) 936-4968.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here