Ash3's profile

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, January 30th, 2022 1:21 PM

Closed

Can Xfinity Home Security Touchscreen use a home WiFi network for the "security" network?

I currently have an Arris TG1682G Xfinity Gateway in bridge mode to a home router/WiFi network.

The TG1682G also maintains the typical Xfinity "private" security WiFi network w/touchscreen and older XCam cameras (not XCam2).

Forgetting about XCam for a second, I understand I can move the touchscreen to a home WiFi network. Is that true if using XCam2 or newer cameras?

If I have XCam2 cameras, can I simply move the touchscreen to my home WiFi without any need for a WNR1000 or any other special gateway for a security network, or is a "private" Xfinity security WiFi network, a custom Xfinity Gateway or WNR1000 supporting such, required for a security network to exist in all cases, including when XCam2 or newer cameras are used?

This query is a follow-up to query at the link below, where I'm wondering if the need for the Xfinity Gateway or WNR1000 is merely because XCam (older cameras) require special handling.. that without older XCam cameras, touchscreen and cameras can go on home WiFi (no special private security wifi network required). (?)

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/devices-and-equipment/changing-arris-tg1682g-to-bridge-mode-when-xfinity-home-with-xcam-cameras-exist/61dfe576992e4136a4c67a56

I saw in the following posts where others mention the WNR1000 is no longer required... 

...but I cannot find any steps on pairing touchscreen w/home WiFi network. I see an option to associate with new gateway but the steps online do not show screens allowing me to enter my home WiFi SSID so, before I try that option, I want to get details on what's actually possible, what steps are required. I do not want to try that menu options as a way of learning what screens I will see because I do not want to botch any existing configuration.

My goal is to reduce costs by purchasing a docsis 3.1 modem, using my home WiFi AP for a security network but only if Xfinity supports this configuration. If this is supported but requires me to upgrade to XCam2 or newer, that may be best in the long term cost-wise.

Thanks again for any insight!

cc/ @XfinityBecker in case you have a fast answer to this... seems like you know the history on this equipment quite well. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

500 Messages

3 years ago

HI Ash3!

You would need to contact us, as the screen to convert the Touchscreen from the hidden Xfinity Home SSID (being broadcast by your Xfinity Gateway) to a private WiFi connection (broadcast by your own Router or Gateway) is not directly accessible to customers. 

You may need to have a technician come to your home to reconfigure this.  In some cases, the technician would first need to upgrade the firmware on the Touchscreen using a USB stick only they have access to.  Once this is done, you would have the ability to connect the Touchscreen to a new private SSID should it change in the future.

To your point though, you would need to have xCam2's to use your private WiFi connection solely - as the original xCam and iCams only work with an Xfinity Gateway or WNR1000 side-car router.  If you kept your current cameras, the solution would likely be to use a WNR1000 security router (there is no additional cost for this).

This phone number will get you through to some folks who will be able to assist:  1-877-298-0874.

I hope that helps!

(edited)

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

@XfinityBecker​ Can the XCAM 2 get wired to the WNR1000 side-car router like Xcam & Icam using the Y adapter?

Official Employee

• 

500 Messages

The xCam2 was not designed to operate in Wired mode.  It was designed to be paired using Bluetooth and operate in Wireless Mode using WiFi - so the Y-adapter is not supported with this model.  

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@XfinityBecker Forgive my delayed reply... I forgot to loop back and mark your reply as the answer, will do that now. Thanks again for your tremendously informative support! 👍

Official Employee

• 

500 Messages

Thanks and you're welcome!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

2 years ago

In the event another XH customer wanted to do this, wouldn’t it be easier (pending they have 300 series or 400 series tablet) if you were just to give customer temporary premise pass phrase and search for their own private networks via diagnostic tools screen, rather than waste customers and techs time, sending a tech to do this?! 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here