mgant's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, December 27th, 2020 7:00 PM

Closed

Home Security with my own modem and wifi router

I recently replaced the leased cable modem + router with a modem and router I purchased. When I attempted to connect the security system to the new router, I learned that I needed a "security router" for the security system. The security router is a Netgear WNR1000 which from what I can tell is nothing more than another wifi router. I would like to know the reason for needing another wifi router just for the security system. I want to know the technical reasons: is it so that Xfinity can set up a hotspot with this "security router" using my bandwidth and power? Does it have a backdoor that allows Xfinity to monitor my network? I see no technical reason why I can not connect the security system to my own router. Can someone with Comcast please provide a detailed answer for this requirement?

The problem I have with adding another piece of equipment is that I was told that it needs to connect to the modem directly. I only have one ethernet output from my modem that goes to my router. So, not only do I have to add the WNR1000 but a network switch so that I can connect it to my modem going from one cable+modem to four devices: a modem, router, switch and "security" router!

It seems like Comcast is purposely making it more cumbersome to have your own equipment so we'll be more likely to lease their equipment.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

The router comes to techs already programmed, so it’s nothing you would have access to for obvious proprietary reasons. You basically just need a wired Ethernet connection to the security router

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

This is an older topic I started and I wanted to follow up with new information. After putting this off for a few months, I contacted Comcast a couple of days ago to get the process started to install the Netgear security router and learned some good news: The additional security router is no longer needed! I was able to connect to my home wifi without any additional equipment or a visit from a technician. Sometimes procrastination pays off!

For those of you that already have the security router and want to get rid of it, I suggest contacting Comcast and they can help you set up without the security router. You will have to contact Comcast because you need to access advanced settings on your touchscreen with a one-time access code provided by Comcast support. Other than that it is just like connecting any other wireless device to your wifi network.

Good luck!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

The router has special security software downloaded to it, a big reason you can’t use your own equipment. There’s no hotspot and has nothing to do with your internet service except that it’s attached to it. Ultimately it’s going to be up you to do what you need to do if you want your own internet equipment and home security service.

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

Does your personal router have an available Ethernet port? If so, you would be able to connect the WNR1000 Security Router to that port an eliminate the need for an Ethernet switch.

There is no additional monthly cost to lease the WNR1000 Security Router if one is needed.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for the response. It's good to know that WNR1000 isn't used as an Xfinity hotspot, too. Do you know what is in this "special security" software? I've searched the manual for the WNR1000 and the only two types of files that can be uploaded, a configuration file or firmware image. Is it just a specific configuration for the router or a special firmware image file? If it's the configuration, could I configure my router with the same settings? If it's a special firmware image what makes it special?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for the response! It would obviously be better to plug into my own router and my router has an unused ethernet port. However, I was told by the online support that the WNR1000 had to connect to the modem. Is that not true? Did the support person not understand the difference between the two devices?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@ComcastBecker and @CCAndrew I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I replied to each of you with a follow-up question. If you could please take the time to answer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

mgant

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

That makes sense that the installers don't have to program the router but it still doesn't answer my question: What is in this "special security software"?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

It’s proprietary, you’re not going to get an answer.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I think that does answer my question. If it's proprietary then it sounds like it is the firmware file that is modified. Don't know how they could make the configuration proprietary.

Thanks,

Mike

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi, sorry, I'm still confused. Why is the WNR1000 needed?  We just got Fios Internet but we kept our Xfinity Home Security. I unplugged the WNR1000 because I didn't think it was necessary anymore because multiple customer service reps told me that I didn't need it and they never heard of it. It wasn't until I chatted with someone on the app (trying to get the home security back online) and they said "Plug your WNR1000 into your new router" and I thought huh? I thought I didn't need this..   I've spoken to 3 customer service reps at the store through this saga of switching our account and none of them know what WNR1000 is. How is that possible??  The one guy told me that maybe it's super old because we've had the home security for so long BUT it's no longer needed with the new xfinity routers. 

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Jeffro0113 - 

Yes, the WNR1000 Security Router would be needed to maintain broadband connectivity for your Touchscreen and any cameras you may have.  

You should connect the Security Router to an available Ethernet port on yor personal router.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Can the security router be picked up at a service center?

(edited)

Contributor

• 

80 Messages

3 years ago

you have to chat with somone to have a tech come out  to put the  WNR1000 Security Router in for you i know i had to do the same thing when i switch to  FiOS too for tv phone internet i kept xfinity home  thay hook up to FiOS router  and they have go in to the touchscreen to do some settings they do for you so tech will have come out to bring it to you 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here