O

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 5th, 2022 6:48 PM

Closed

2 Xfinity accounts in same household

This incident took place from 4/3/22-4/5/22

I had an unpleasant few days with Xfinity. I moved into a room of a house, and this room has a coaxial outlet. My landlord has their own Xfinity modem in the house. So I called an agent. By the end of it I talked to 7 agents telling me 4 different things. Lets go through them.

Agent 1: You can’t have two Xfinity accounts in the same household. (no explanation)

Agent 2: You can have two Xfinity accounts in the same household you just need to tweak the address (123-A Apple Street)

Agent 3: Same as Agent 1.

Agent 4: Same as Agent 2.

Agent 5: No need to change your address just ask the tech to put in a separate line.

*Techs come to house. Tech: Saying what Agent 2 and 4 said.

Agent 6: No need to change address, can have as many Xfinity accounts in household.

Then I called Agent 7 because they got my wifi modem working but disconnected my landlord’s even though I made it crystal clear that the landlord has an account here, and want it to where both are running. My landlord comes home and calls me about the internet and I am put in this awkward situation with my landlord I’ve known for 2 days. Our rooms are the farthest they can be from each other and I have to stretch my modem as far as I can toward her room and then run a router out as far as I could in the hallway. I called Agent 7 to set up a tech appointment ASAP.

This tech comes in the morning and fixes the problem in less than 5 minutes and fills me in on what’s actually true. SO HERE IS THE INSTRUCTIONAL BIT FOR ALL YOU FELLOW XFINITY USERS:

You CAN have more than 1 ACCOUNT in the same household.

You DO NOT need to tweak the address. The two modems WILL NOT butt heads. If you tweak an address an auditor will come out to make sure the 123-A Apple Street exists, if it doesn’t then you get cancelled. The place has to have its own utilities (kitchen bathroom, etc.)

The ONLY time the modems will butt heads is if more than 1 account has video streaming such as Xfinity Flex. So if you want to have Xfinity flex or something you need to make sure that no one in the house does or no one is going to be happy. You can have unlimited internet only accounts, but only one of those accounts can video stream.

If you call and an agent says you cant do it. You tell them they are WRONG.

If you call an agent and they say you have to tweak the address. You tell them they are WRONG.

Agent 5 might’ve been right, perhaps the techs did put in a separate line. Agent 6 was right. Everybody else including the first techs were wrong.

To Xfinity: I like Xfinity, you guys hook me up with promotions and deals. This incident however was a nightmare. TOO MANY MISINFORMED agents and techs spouting off things that aren’t true. I had to sift through all the information and piece together what was actually true. Right now I am more informed on this subject than quite a handful of your agents.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am having this same problem! What’s more is that I already had 2 accounts in the same address up until last month, so I know it works.

The first time we tried to set up an additional account for my tenant, mine got disconnected, but we called and they fixed it in no time.
Then that tenant moved away, and the new one also opened an account with Xfinity since the connection was already there (still 2 accounts, just changed the owner of one of them). When this new account got activated, the original got disconnected again; so we called to explain the same as last time, and are dealing with them saying that this is not allowed. 
I try to explain that this is not possible because I already went through this, and we keep going in circles. Xfinity needs to train all their agents to be on the same page, this is terrible customer service and a waste of everyone’s time!

The funny thing is, that the tenant that moved away took their service to another house with the same situation, and was also able to get connected with no issue! So I have more than enough proof. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@Karl_Gonzalez​ Goodluck. You're rolling the dice hoping that the someone on the other line is an agent who is familiar with the subject.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

My ❓ question is, #1 my mom and I have to move, we have Xfinity cable services and we need to, be able to know if we can get cable tv, DVR boxes and the unlimited internet connection into a seperate building 🏢 but on the same property and I would have to say it's about 150-300 ft away from the main house on the property any suggestions?? Oh and would I be able to get the Xfinity in a seperate account so it's paid seperately? And then have the bill Statement say that I am living there but the statement for the bill goes to, a PO box will that work? 

Problem Solver

• 

743 Messages

Hello @Lilygirl04! Thank you for reaching on our community forum. Typically, our system will not allow two accounts at one address. If there is another building/basement it would need to be recognized by USPS as it's own address with an apartment/unit/floor number. I hope this helps! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Is this different by state or something? You say "typically". I was literally just told the exact opposite when I went in to talk to an agent last week. I was told that it was "no problem at all", in a very matter-of-fact way. My wife and I are moving onto my mother-in-law's property. Just a different building, but the same property. They have had a friend do this before, and they have an existing splitter in their box. The friend had their own connection, own router, etc.. and it worked just fine. This is what we are in the process of doing right now.

I'm just curious as to why there is so, so much convoluted information within the same massive company. Actually, maybe I just answered my own question...

It just seems odd. It isn't like little details being different. It's an agent telling me to my face that it will be no problem, and to just let them know when it's time, and that I can move our router over. Absolutely nothing about the USPS needing to recognize it as a different address, or there needing to be any particular specificity in that regard. Just throw a splitter into the box and it will work.

Which makes sense when all that Xfinity is really providing is the signal. And then, within the limits of current tech, that signal can be split.

It's making me second guess our situation when you seem so confident in your answer, but the OP clearly had theirs working, and I was told the same...

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hey I am renting a room with utilities and I have internet essentials/ now there has been a Xfinity account here already at my new address and I wanted to know what is involved In making sure that the address is properly set as a separate : here is a example= 123-A Main Rd / 123 main rd ??

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

Hello @TheWaitingOne. Thank you for reaching out to us here. The only way to make sure that the address is correctly separated is to have it verified by the USPS. Is our address already listed as 123 Main Street Apt/Unit A?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

So with a second line, will that give a net increase in bandwidth into the house?

Problem Solver

• 

411 Messages

@user_e8c05e A second line wouldn't necessarily provide "more" bandwidth. You wouldn't be able to combine the lines, you would only be able to connect to one line at a time. This means essentially you're just creating another way to connect, not a way to connect 'more' so to speak. Additionally, as the previous agents went over- you can only have a second line to a home if the address is separated by USPS. Our technicians cannot install two lines in one residential address. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

That is not true I just spoke to tech support and was told I could have a separate line . I live in an apartment with a roommate she has her own internet but I requested my own internet because I work from home and the internet hasn’t been stable. I was informed that it would not be a problem. Comcast needs to train there employees better because everyone you speak to gives different advise 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

I'm truly sorry that you were provided misinformation regarding residential accounts. We can only have one account active at a USPS address at one time. If you were to open an account what would happen is your roommate's account would be disconnected. The only exception is if you had been speaking with our Comcast Business team. If you'd like to discuss further I'm happy to check the location and confirm that this is all accurate.  Please send us a direct message to "Xfinity Support" with your full name and address to get started.

To send a direct message you may need to:
Click "Sign In"
Click the "direct message" icon
Click the "New message" (message) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

okay so, my mom and I will be moving into a place where it's a back apartment example a house has a back apartment so I was told by my best friend that her family friend said that getting seperate internet and cable tv is not an option that she already asked, but I know there is a way, there is power that runs through that back apartment I am assuming that, it's close enough to the house 🏡 so, power can be turned on and everything you know? Would make sense I know that there is already internet in the main house 🏡 my mom and I just want to get our own internet and cable tv services and for it to be a complete seperate account, I have been reading that they can do it as long as it's between meaning the outbuilding example back apartment) is between 150-300ft no more than 328 ft if it's more than 328 ft no internet and no cable tv can be hooked up or anything it becomes complicated having the wires or cable cords or whatever put under ground we can't do that this is not our property we are going to be renting out the place and we just want our own internet, and cable tv just want to really know if it's really something that Xfinity cable services/company can do? I would really rather stay with Xfinity this is going to be interesting hoping to be able to find a different place in the same area that we are already living in, that we have been living in Fresno now for just about 20 years since 2004- present we have to be able to figure out how we can at least get some kind of unlimited internet so we can at least stream movies like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime video, Disney +, etc oh and Rouki device all you need is the internet and plug it in the back of your TV with a HDMI, we have those already if we need to buy them we will but Rouki will work on any tv HD flat screen tv that is idk about an old like box tv from like the early 80s and 90s which we had one of those when i was really little bc we didn't have cable tv, cable is a luxury something that you want but it's really not a need it's a lot of $, to have internet and cable tv especially if there are no cable coxial cords or whatever they call them that are already usually always cable ready in a lot of apartments are for rent and everything hope we find something so we do not have to move all the way out to Delano and be living in some one else's backyard and in their back apartment just depends all on the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ 🙏 it is all up to him really with the help of others that is as well anyways that's all now I know we can have 2 accounts at the same address just need to have it as a seperate bil with seperate utilities and everything idk if it's seperate utilities but idk I'll know when we go look at it soon 🔜 praying to God that there is another solution to the issue.thanks for the information and advice.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I have an xfinity internet account but I am moved into a home that already has xfinity. The issue is I have an xfinity mobile account so I need to keep my account and have interent. is there anything I can do? 

Problem Solver

• 

311 Messages

Hello @user_37bd61 we thank you for reaching out to the community with your concerns, currently, our team's unable to access our Xfinity Mobile accounts, but do not worry, our Xfinity Mobile expert are there to assist, you can reach them either • SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968 • Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968 • Chat: https://comca.st/2Vn7Xpj 

And once our Xfinity mobile team has detached the mobile account, we can then cancel the internet account on our end.

Just send a direct message [private message] after you have spoken with the mobile team and the mobile account has been detached

Click "Sign In" if necessary
   Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://comca.st/3QDJnYb
   Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
   The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
   - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
   - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
   Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
   Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

So I’m moving into my aunties house and she has her xfinity account and wifi, would I be able to just take my router and other equipment and use it there?

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

If she already has equipment for internet you cannot take your own. You would have to use hers. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

I don't think you can have two routers connected to same modem. But you can have two separate INTERNET ONLY accounts in the same house. Each account needs it's own modem. You have two people in this thread saying that you can and that we have/had it done. Keep calling until you get an agent that is familiar with the subject and hooks you up for a tech appointment.

Agents in this thread. You have two individuals saying that you can have this done and have had this done themselves. Go find out if you really can have more than 1 account in the same house (because you actually can).

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @Othersteeve and thread. Great questions about having 2 accounts and I apologize for all of the different answers you received. We always want the information provided to be clear and helpful. You can have 2 accounts at the same address. In some areas, they are able to be multiple residential accounts but in other areas, they would have to be a business and a residential account. The change in being able to have 2 residential accounts at the same address in some areas was in response to Covid and a recent change. Each account does have its own separate modem that is tied to the correct service level. I would be happy to take a look at your account so we can find a path forward for your home. Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

So I spent a lot of time figuring this out and here's the way to do it (if you have money)

You CAN have two connections to one single residence. One needs to be an Xfinity BUSINESS account. The other a residential. They'll hook that up for you no problem. The downside is, the business account is about $400.

The salespeople aren't honest. They call it a "private managed network" that's somehow different to the residential network. It's really not. It comes off the same pipe, HOWEVER the routers are better and there's less throttling. 

So far this has solved our problem. My kid can play his games and when I upload my big video files it doesn't seem to impede him.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here